Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

'Which?', a UK-based consumer advocacy organization, has performed some research and determined that Apple's claims about the lightness of the iPad Mini appear to be accurate. The device is roughly the same weight as some heavier notepads, and is lighter than a can of Coke or a loaf of bread:

NewImage41.png
So there it is; the iPad mini isn't quite as light as a pad of paper - at least our non-spiraled softback pad. There are certainly pads of paper that are heavier so Phil Schiller's claim that it's as light as a pad of paper is about right.

It'll certainly feel lighter than a can of coke in your hands, making it easier to hold in a single hand while you browse the web for long periods or read ebooks on the move.

While lighter than the Kindle Fire (395g) and the Google Nexus (334g), the difference is probably too insubstantial to influence your buying choice.

Article Link: 'Which?' Tests Phil Schiller's iPad Mini Weight Comparison Claims

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
the one Phil had has more paper :D

hopefully another couple of years APPLE bring down the weight even more.

carbon fiber on the back of the iPad mini? any one? ;)

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
The iPad 3 is only 50g or so heavier than the iPad 2 but I really could feel that, so I'm assuming it'll be similar for me at least on the mini vs competition.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I am so happy to finally know that my soon to be iPad mini will be lighter than a loaf of bread.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
So let me understand this:

- The pad of paper used in the example weighs 226g;

- the irrelevant iPad Mini weighs 312g;

- therefore, the iPad Mini is "lighter" than a pad of paper?

These guys need some lessons in logic, really...what a pathetic article.

RTFA said:
the iPad mini isn't quite as light as a pad of paper - at least our non-spiraled softback pad. There are certainly pads of paper that are heavier so Phil Schiller's claim that it's as light as a pad of paper is about right.

Its weight is very close to the pad they had on hand, but it was a little heavier. Apple didn't say it was lighter than that specific pad of paper, and since there are heavier pads out there and the iPad Mini's weight is so close to this one, they say that his claim is most likely correct. God, is it so hard to read??

asd789789

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Frankfurt am Main

Don't forget about the coke and the break ;)

SVTVenom

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2012

"So there it is; the iPad mini isn't quite as light as a pad of paper - at least our non-spiraled softback pad. There are certainly pads of paper that are heavier so Phil Schiller's claim that it's as light as a pad of paper is about right."

Some lessons in reading, too.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Its weight is very close to the pad they had on hand, but it was a little heavier. Apple didn't say it was lighter than that specific pad of paper, and since there are heavier pads out there and the iPad Mini's weight is so close to this one, they say that his claim is most likely correct. God, is it so hard to read??

Of course not; I was talking about logic and consistency with what was shown in the article. After all, anyone can come up with a 1kg pad of paper, right? ;)

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
In other news, another website that has jumped on the Apple bandwagon to draw eyeballs and thus ad revenue, has tested Phil Schiller's assertion that the iPad mini is 'amazing'. The summary on page 5 is that the iPad mini is indeed 'amazing'... to those that are amazed by it, but not so amazing to those who don't care.

Incidentlly, when is Apple going to trademark the words 'amazing' and 'thin', and possibly 'fantastic' and of course 'amazingly thin'?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Wow, that is amazing. Some site is able to find a pad of paper that weighs less than the iPad mini. Congrats. :rolleyes:

Apple did not claim that the iPad mini was lighter than any pad of paper.

What they were probably comparing against was the typical pad of paper used in "America" in offices which would be a soft cardboard backed lined US Letter sized pad of paper with tear off sheets that is either yellow with blue stripes or white with blue stripes.

I'm sure there are smaller/lighter pads of paper available and heavier ones as well.

The UK advocacy group probably did not take page size into consideration or what type of pads of paper are used in the US.
:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.