Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Provide updates on your iPad mini preorders for Australia in this thread.

I will be going for a Black 32GB Cellular so will be keeping you all updated. Good luck all. :D

g.c.

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
What time will this thing be available? I'm refreshing like a madman.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
What time will this thing be available? I'm refreshing like a madman.

I'm refreshing too. Perhaps 3AM AEDST as that's when Perth and W.A. go onto the 26/10. Or 8AM tomorrow like instore launches. Or even 10PM tomorrow night has been rumored.

I'm going to sleep and just see if it's up at 8AM, probably the best course of action right now, highly doubt it'll all sell out overnight if it is released at 3AM.

g.c.

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
I'm refreshing too. Perhaps 3AM AEDST as that's when Perth and W.A. go onto the 26/10. Or 8AM tomorrow like instore launches. Or even 10PM tomorrow night has been rumored.

I'm going to sleep and just see if it's up at 8AM, probably the best course of action right now, highly doubt it'll all sell out overnight if it is released at 3AM.

I might just stay up till 3am. If it's not up by then I'll give up and try in the morning.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
I gave this some thought after a discussion elsewhere, surely your preorders will open the equivalent of midnight PST in the US?

It's the same time everywhere that it goes on sale isn't it?

g.c.

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
I gave this some thought after a discussion elsewhere, surely your preorders will open the equivalent of midnight PST in the US?

It's the same time everywhere that it goes on sale isn't it?

No clue. It would be nice if the Apple site just told us.

g.c.

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
I made a call to the Apple Online Store and they said there's no official announcement as to the time yet and to check later in the day.:confused:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
After speaking to various people I would say the time it should go live would be 6-8PM eastern which is around the time it hits 12:00AM PST. I may be wrong though.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
After speaking to various people I would say the time it should go live would be 6-8PM eastern which is around the time it hits 12:00AM PST. I may be wrong though.

I called Apple ... They can't say exactly, but most likely from 6
PM (our Eastern time) tonight. Seems to be confusion about whether you can order LTE iPad 4 now, or just wifi version.

----------

Sorry, somehow failed to notice this thread is only abou iPad mini. My inquiry to Apple was only about iPad 4.

g.c.

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Ordered my black one. The iPhone app worked about a minute quicker than the website. I just want it now! Let the wait begin...

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Just got my order through: Black+Slate. 32Gb Cellular-Expected Late November. Hopefully sooner than that. It's going to be a long few weeks :)

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Same as me, will be returning the one I don't like.

OMG. That is my idea. Well I am more concerned with scuffs/scratches (like iPhone 5) so thought I would order one of each and if the first one I open is crap I will open the second one.

----------

Ordered my black one. The iPhone app worked about a minute quicker than the website. I just want it now! Let the wait begin...

I also used the iPhone app for my order (at exactly 3PM Perth time), but jumped on my Mac to order two for my sister after I did my order.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
What do you think about the LTE situation?

On the iPad4 page on Apple Oz website it says not compatible with our LTE system. And yet, during the launch of the iPads Telstra and Optus were on the list of providers on the screen. And, iPhone5 is now compatible, and I'm sure I read elsewhere that the new iPads would be.

Would love to hear from anyone less confused than I am about this!

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
What do you think about the LTE situation?

On the iPad4 page on Apple Oz website it says not compatible with our LTE system. And yet, during the launch of the iPads Telstra and Optus were on the list of providers on the screen. And, iPhone5 is now compatible, and I'm sure I read elsewhere that the new iPads would be.

Would love to hear from anyone less confused than I am about this!

On the Apple website it said "Not compatible with Australia LTE or WiMax networks". So probably not compatible. I think Apple said in the future it will be compatible (carriers opening up new plans, broadcasting 4G/WiMax on new frequencies etc.).

Very confusing launch in general with a lot of missing information in my opinion, maybe not for US customers but Apple Australia was very quiet about local details this time round. I couldn't even find local prices on the Aussie Apple site and had to email the Australian Macworld Magazine to get pricing information.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
iPad mini is LTE compatible in Australia - the website is incorrect.
iPad 3 is NOT LTE compatible in Australia (so you can only access 3G).

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
iPad mini is LTE compatible in Australia - the website is incorrect.
iPad 3 is NOT LTE compatible in Australia (so you can only access 3G).

In that case hopefully the carriers release details of plans and nano-sims soon. It would be nice to have a sim ready to go when the iPad arrives.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I'll probably wait till it's in store to pick it up, I don't expect they'll be sold out in the Apple Store Sydney.

Which model are you guys getting? Black vs White? 3G vs Wifi only?

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
In that case hopefully the carriers release details of plans and nano-sims soon. It would be nice to have a sim ready to go when the iPad arrives.

If you want pre-paid, you can already get these via Telstra etc. At Telstra, just grab a pre-paid sim and activate it on the iPad pre-paid plan when your iPad arrives. If you already have a MicroSIM (or get a MicroSIM pre-paid pack), just ask your local Telstra store for a blank nanoSIM and when your ready to set your iPad up get online and do a live chat with Telstra and they can activate the nanoIM and cancel the MicroSIM (hope that makes sense).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.