Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john bacon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Do you think an iPod with an A6 chip will be released next year or the year after?

Like the jump from A4 to A5.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I think with this specs, it could last 2 yrs life cycle.

But under Cook, nothing is certain. Iphone might have 4.5 inch screen next year.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Do you think an iPod with an A6 chip will be released next year or the year after?

If they follow the same roadmap they have been following since the 3rd gen, next year the 16Gb will be upgraded to the latest A5 design while the 32Gb/64Gb will only get minor changes (more colors, light sensor put back ?, etc). In 2 or 3 year, they will probably release a new design with an A6.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA

Don't mean to rain on any ipt 6g hopes but Apple insider reported this:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/24/ipod-touch-viewed-as-in-final-stage-of-product-life-cycle

Their point of view but I wouldn't be surprised.

Although, they said the same thing about the Mac mini and it's still going strong.

J

john bacon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2012
In the upcoming years, older generation iPhones might be the next iPod Touches.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I think the current Touch 5 specs can last at least a year without needed upgrade so next year we may see 16G touch 5 at $249 or may be a price down 32G. I doubt they would add new color.

StintheBeast

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Cambridge
Yes

They'll put the A6 chip in it next year but probably will still be the "5th Generation". The 32GB will cost $250, 64GB $350, and they'll come out with a 96GB or 128GB for $450. 32GB will also be the lowest capacity for the iPhone 5S.

----------

In the upcoming years, older generation iPhones might be the next iPod Touches.

No, just no.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
They'll put the A6 chip in it next year but probably will still be the "5th Generation".

The Touch will only get minor upgrades next year with the exception that the entire line will use the A5 (i.e. the 16GB will go from an A4 to A5). You will not see an A6 for 2-3 years.

----------

I don't care what they call it as long as it has an A6 by next year.

Based on the past history of the Touch upgrades, it's not going to happen. Apple always follows the same update path on the Touch which means your looking at 2-3 years before you get an A6 in a Touch.

StintheBeast

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Cambridge
The Touch will only get minor upgrades next year with the exception that the entire line will use the A5 (i.e. the 16GB will go from an A4 to A5). You will not see an A6 for 2-3 years.

----------

Based on the past history of the Touch upgrades, it's not going to happen. Apple always follows the same update path on the Touch which means your looking at 2-3 years before you get an A6 in a Touch.

Not everything stays the same. Next year you'll be like "wow, that kid was right". Watch it happen.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan

----------

This current trend didn't really start until the 4th gen. 1st gen, the iPod touch had the same processor, ram and graphics as the iPhone. The second gen was actually faster than the iPhone 3G and the 3rd gen had the same specs as the iPhone 3GS. These iPods were always updated in the fall of each year following the iPhone announcement. This two year update cycle started with the 4th gen. So it still should still be seen as the exception and not the rule. We'll see what happens next year.

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
As long as it can handle OS7 and OS8.... they will not need to upgrade the hardware. If the developers can push the limits on their games and the video processing is the hold up, then yes... a new touch will need to be released next fall. Unlikely but hell anything is possible.

StintheBeast

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Cambridge
Not going to happen and you are welcome to bookmark this post :D. Apple is sticking with the cheaper A5 for the Touch and iPad Mini. You will not see an A6 in a Touch or iPad Mini for 2-3 years.

They'll put the A7 chip in the iPhone 5S. There's no way that they'll leave the ipod touch and ipad mini 4 chips behind the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.