Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appstore.jpg
Apple has increased the amount of money charged for App Store pricing tiers for a number of countries across the European Union. The lowest tier is now EUR0.89, up from EUR0.79. It is equivalent to the $0.99 tier in the U.S. MacStories has confirmed the following countries have seen a change in pricing:
- Italy
- Spain
- Netherlands
- Portugal
- Greece
- Poland
- Germany
- France
- Belgium
- Austria
- Czech Republic
- Denmark
- Luxembourg
- Hungary
- Russia
Additionally, several countries have seen App Store pricing change from U.S. dollars to local currencies. Apps in India are now being priced in Rupees, apps in Saudi Arabia are being priced in Saudi Riyals, and customers in the United Arab Emirates, Russia, Indonesia, Israel, Turkey, and South Africa are all seeing purchases listed in local currencies now.

Article Link: Apple Increases European App Store Pricing, Changes Some Countries to Local Currencies

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Hmm I was told the pricing was being 'altered', but Apple conveniently never informed me that their cut was increasing to 40%. I presume this 10% increase is applied only to the EU price-increase countries, and not globally?

edit: answered my own query - 10% increase is to EU only. Still sucks.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
As a dev, this sucks.

EDIT: new currencies

Russia: Ruble (RUB)
Turkey: Lira (TRY)
India: Rupee (INR)
Indonesian: Rupiah (IDR)
Israel: New Shekel (ILS)
Saudi Arabia: Riyal (SAR)
South Africa: Rand (ZAR)
United Arab Emirates: Dirham (AED)

I

iFanboy

This is just greed. If you look at Apple's finances they are doing very well with the current model and have more cash than they can spend (indeed, more cash reserves than the US government at one stage before the debt ceiling was raised).

This isn't therefore motivated by necessity, it's motivated by greed and the desire to make EVEN MORE money that they won't be able to spend.

This is why people hate large corporations, they are always trying to squeeze the little guy to make even larger profits, regardless of how enormous their existing profit levels are.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Meanwhile no other distribution platform in Europe ups their percentage. (consoles, PC platforms, etc)

Nice Apple. Nice.

guycarmeli

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
Also in Israel.
I actually prefer seeing the price in local currency cause it gives me a better feeling of how much I pay, but ya I did notice a slight price increase, not sure though it's as much as 10%; probably just rounding the numbers (upwards of course...)

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
While they continue to overcharge NZrs compared to other currencies, and even our 'host' countries, Aussie/Singapore...

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
As they get popular this was bound to happen all about the ££ for Apple. People should start voting with their wallets, this would soon stop. And the unnecessary prices hikes on iMacs etc

Last edited:

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
True! I end up buying US iTunes cards and get my stuff that way, works out cheaper than local NZ currency.

I hardly buy anything from the app store, adn when I do, its always with a 2 for 1 deal, or similar from itunes cards locally.

Of course, getting US itunes cards also allows cheaper apps, movies, music as well as actually getting access to TV...

tilstip

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
This will cause very bad App Reviews for many Apps (especially the ones with In-App Purchases who can buy multiple times) since normal users will think it was the developer who increased the price.

Poor developers.

Sometimes I just don't get it.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Swiss Franc (CHF) is about 35%. I just checked, it seems that it was like that before. But our VAT is still the same tiny 8%, so...

Don't know what to say. I always thought it was 30% all along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.