Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a new blog post today, Primate Labs summarizes the Geekbench 2 results for the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro hitting the company's database, unsurprisingly finding that the machines' performance is on par with that of the non-Retina models released in June. Benchmark scores for both stock models of the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro register within 0.5% of the scores seen for the corresponding non-Retina models.

macbook_pro_13_2012_benchmarks.jpg

It is interesting to note that these new benchmarks also appear to confirm an early Geekbench result that appeared in the database in late June. Aside from that machine having an older BIOS identifier and carrying only 4 GB of RAM while the released models all carry 8 GB of RAM, other details such as the processor, motherboard identifier, and the benchmark results themselves all line up with the production model.

As always, it's important to note that Geekbench testing focuses on processor and memory performance, providing comparisons of raw power between machines but only telling part of the story. Notably, as with the non-Retina 13-inch MacBook Pro, the new Retina models do not offer a discrete graphics chip, instead relying on the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics packaged with Ivy Bridge even with the increased demands from the Retina display. Real-world performance is of course also affected by drive speeds, with the Retina models' all-flash storage topping the traditional hard drive options found in the non-Retina models, although the non-Retina models also have flash storage options available.

Article Link: 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Benchmarks Confirm Late June Result Posting

Last edited:

VB7

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
I'll admit it was looking a little dicey there for a while, but I can now honestly say I have absolutely ZERO regrets buying the 15" rMBP.

Zarkizon

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2011
I was worried that the retina MBP would replace the mid-2012 ones, but seeing as the performance is similarly spec'd, I'm really glad I got the updated model in June. Sure, I don't have a retina display or a thinner model, but I have twice as much memory that the 13-inch retina does and I got it for about $100, and I also put in a third party SSD with twice as much storage for about $100 less expensive than what Apple charges. I think this is a much better option.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
I care more about the Performance/Price ratio...13 inch rmbp is the lowest in terms of this aspect in the mac product line. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
The lineup apple has now is pretty good. You have USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, thinner MBP's, more RAM, and SSD as options.

The only thing I see on refreshes are CPU spec bumps, but nothing else that'll make you regret buying unless Apple somehow manages to squeeze another 4-6 hours of battery life.

As for the iPad mini, I'm considering waiting until the next gen model comes out with the A6 proc. Otherwise, I may just get the 4th gen iPad.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
When I worked at Best Buy (Oct. 2011 - April 2012) I always told people the 13" pro was the way to go and that the Airs just weren't quite there - though they'd eventually be the go-to computer choice for most consumers.

After their last update (mid 2012) they've done it. I'd chose a 13" MBA over any of Apple's other offerings any day of the week. Somehow, a retina display is much more appealing in a device you touch to interact with content and less so in a traditional laptop (even though I think the displays are amazing).

That said, iPad is all I need for my mobile computing. Have a Dell laptop (work provided) and a 21.5 iMac at home. Looking forward to my 4th gen iPad and iPad mini!

----------

The lineup apple has now is pretty good. You have USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, thinner MBP's, more RAM, and SSD as options.

The only thing I see on refreshes are CPU spec bumps, but nothing else that'll make you regret buying unless Apple somehow manages to squeeze another 4-6 hours of battery life.

As for the iPad mini, I'm considering waiting until the next gen model comes out with the A6 proc. Otherwise, I may just get the 4th gen iPad.

I agree - I see the iPad w/ retina on a 2-year upgrade cycle given that all they can really do now is make it lighter and faster (the screen is about as good as it can/needs to be).

The mini on the other hand, given its cheaper price point may be the one device I upgrade yearly. My phone is on a carrier cycle of every two years anyway, and being that I rarely use our iMac at home, I'll wait till the thing dies (maybe 8 years? lol).

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
13" rMBP is overpriced for what you're actually getting...

I'm sorry, but this 13" MPB/rMBP spec-bumb is completely underwhelming. Unless you "really need" an optical disk drive and/or a retina display you might as well just get the high-end 13" MBA and call it a day.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
I'm sorry, but this 13" MPB/rMBP spec-bumb is completely underwhelming. Unless you "really need" an optical disk drive and/or a retina display you might as well just get the high-end 13" MBA and call it a day.

You're paying a premium for a design that will not be obsolete next year. They are clearly phasing out bulky, non-retina laptops. By this time next year I guarantee the entire lineup is the thinner body with retina display. People who opted to not get one will be kicking themselves.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Waiting to see how this sells, but I expect the 13" rMBP will not do well at its current price point. That said, I won't ever buy another Mac without a discrete graphics chip. Despite the impressive scores for CPU and memory, a larger MBP with a slower CPU but also with a discrete graphics chip will still outperform the new 13" models in real world tasks and feel because the larger Mac does not need to access the RAM for GPU functions. This has been true in my experience, at least.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
crystal ball fuzzy...

You're paying a premium for a design that will not be obsolete next year. They are clearly phasing out bulky, non-retina laptops. By this time next year I guarantee the entire lineup is the thinner body with retina display. People who opted to not get one will be kicking themselves.

I think you're right in terms of the direction Apple is heading, and it's not surprising at all. I'm just sick of them calling the 13" MacBook a "pro" when in fact it really isn't at this point.

(and let's just hope the 2013 & 2014 15" MBP's still come with discrete graphics.)

SteveyAppleSeed

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
Broadwell, Haswell

I won't buy a rMBP (15") until at least Haswell. If the 13" will only ever have IGP, I would recommend waiting for the Broadwell version.

I love the 15" but it doesn't feel as smooth as the regular MBP. Anandtech even pointed out a slow down in framerate. It is definitely a nice machine I just wish the keys were like the normal MBP not the Air; key travel is much shorter and it feels mushy.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
I think you're right in terms of the direction Apple is heading, and it's not surprising at all. I'm just sick of them calling the 13" MacBook a "pro" when in fact it really isn't at this point.

(and let's just hope the 2013 & 2014 15" MBP's still come with discrete graphics.)

It is a "Pro" laptop relative to the "Air". I'll agree, the distinction was more clear a couple of years ago when there was only the MB and MBP. And MBPs were only in 15" and 17" and MBs were 13"

ezatech

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
Pretty clear what apple are doing here. MBA (word doc, business folks need lightest etc) 13inch MBP with retina (semi-pro). Average folk who want to do some stuff but not anything fully intensive. 15inch MBP with retina (pro)... people who need dedicated GPU etc..

I'd say the original Macbook Pro design will be completely gone from the store next year.

Last edited:

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010

Ha ha. Funny thing about perception...

----------

LOL, I get 7400 with my i7/8/256GB Macbook Air.

If thats the case then others with a 13" would get much higher when repeatedly performing and nulling the "bad" ones.
In 32-bit mind you. 64-bit will net higher.
Mactracker database has i7 13" at 6800/ 7400
Macbook Pro 2.9GHz i7 7841/ 8200
But still super weak. A quad 2.0GHz would have been better at the top of the line. Oh and a freakin' dGPU!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.