Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Hopefully they increase the prices here in the US too. There profit wasn't so hot the last quarter.

leo.andres.21

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Centre of the Attention
I must not get economy but why would a company want to increase its rates for the countries where people have less and less money to spend on their products?

If that's really Apple's concern, then they would be solving problems for the ECB and Eurozone leaders, so instead they still set prices for their products' like the iPad mini at $329 and however much they sell in EU, which is higher than its closest competitor (Nexus 7 $249 and Kindle Fire $199). They do so to maintain their profit margins, not to maintain sales level, as you can see today, their revenue beat Wall St estimates but their profits (EPS) fell short of estimates. :D

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Yeah well, Apple is following its all-time slogan. They're thinking different I guess.
PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT.

That would be 'thinking like everyone else'.

.....Pointing out how ridiculously stupid and greedy Apple are being. Couldn't be any rational, legitimate reason for what they're doing. How the hell has Apple survived this long when they've clearly got no idea!? Oh yeah, it was Steve. Tim and Co. are just idiots. Now that Steve's gone, it's all gonna fall apart...any minute now....just watch...l

This for everyone who's complaining
As well as due to the Eurozone crisis, the Euro fluctuations forced Apple to take action or otherwise it will cut their profit margins. All companies do this to their international pricing, as exchange rate has a big influence, anyone doing basic economics should know this :D

I agree; APPLE isn't dumb enough to price themselves out of the market; they know what it will bear. I'm confident it's a well thought out strategy, not a rash decision.

PabloGS

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Europe
This for everyone who's complaining
As well as due to the Eurozone crisis, the Euro fluctuations forced Apple to take action or otherwise it will cut their profit margins. All companies do this to their international pricing, as exchange rate has a big influence, anyone do basic economics should know this :D

Right... and the USA having a trade deficit that is making the FED print dollars like nuts, making the US Dollar loose more value even against the Euro... Gosh, if it weren't for Europeans, Asians and South Americans backing the US Dollar it would have collapsed a while ago.

And honestly I believe the US Dollar is in deeper **** than the Euro. Aside from Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal Europe isn't doing all that bad...

Germany has been in a boom phase the last three or four years and so have other Middle and Northern European states... USA? Recession...

Problem with Europe and the Euro: Imbalance between the north and the south. Economic impact: All of greece merely has the economic power of one of the smaller German federal states.

The Euro has greater chances of survival, I'm not so sure about the US Dollar... :confused:

Greetings from Curitiba... Where everything is just plain extra 30% more expensive... Why? Cause it's Brazil ;)

So keep cool :cool:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Apple burned $2.5 billions today for their shareholders. It sucks. Steve would never have allowed this. :eek:

Don't be so sure about that.

----------

Change to local currency is a bad thing? Man you guys HATE any change.

Part of the issue is that Apple only adjusts for exchange rates like 2 times a year. When prices were all dollars the exchange was same day rates which can be more favorable to the buyer

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Hopefully they increase the prices here in the US too. There profit wasn't so hot the last quarter.

*their.

Next time when you try to make fun of someone/some company, check your grammar first, otherwise you end up looking like the dumb one :rolleyes:

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Then that price really isn't so bad..

True, but at today's exchange rate, €0.89 is $1.15USD. And you don't want to know what we pay Apple for movies here. I've reached a point where I will be buying US iTunes cards so I can buy stuff over the US store as it is considerably cheaper to rent movies.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Meanwhile no other distribution platform in Europe ups their percentage. (consoles, PC platforms, etc)

Nice Apple. Nice.

iOS latest release, 69p. Sony PSN latest release, £49.99.

and Apple are suddenly the greedy ones?

sasza

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2005
Finland
0,79€ -> 0,89€ it's ok (1$ - 1,15$)

BUT look Mac AppStore

Logic Pro 149,99€ -> 179,99€ (194$ -> 232$)

Final Cut Pro X 239,99€ -> 279,99€ (310$ -> 362$) and so on.

I live in Finland (tax is 23%) and 0,79$ + 23% tax was exactly 0,79€. I keep asking what's the reason to rip off loyal customers just because they live in Europe?

someone here said about maybe different countries have different operating costs? - For what, apps?!? Please don't make me laugh.

Why? Apple, why?

j.larsen

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
It seems like a fair increase in price here in Denmark. At first I was angry about it, but then I started to calculate a bit. In US the price for the cheapest apps, without sales tax, is 0.99 USD. In Denmark it was 6 DKK before it got raised to 7 DKK.

6 DKK without danish sales tax is 4.8 DKK = 0.83 USD
7 DKK without danish sales tax is 5.6 DKK = 0.97 USD

So I think the raise is to make the price the same, world wide

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
.89 Euro cent ?????

.89 Euro cent ????? is not a .99 US. it is 1.15

so WTF??

Another reason to start hassling itunes cards.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Did you read the article? Less money for developers more money for Apple and their creative accounting.

Did you look at the developer payout in the tier rate table and compare it to last months?

Developer gets about the same percentage as before (and thus more money in some cases.). About 70% after subtracting Eurozone VAT.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Really, it's such small amount of money. Why cry so much.

Besides, Euro will be worth so much more once stupid Greece is kicked out. Then silly Greeks can pay 1,000,000 drachma for Angry Bird. lol

Monkeydude

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
History?

Wow, all you guys are such experts.
Pointing out how ridiculously stupid and greedy Apple are being. Couldn't be any rational, legitimate reason for what they're doing.
How the hell has Apple survived this long when they've clearly got no idea!? Oh yeah, it was Steve. Tim and Co. are just idiots.
Now that Steve's gone, it's all gonna fall apart...any minute now....just watch...well, not just yet, they're still riding on the good work Steve did...maybe a bit longer...5 years later...

You are aware of Apples not so recent history? This time there ain't no Steve Jobs coming back.
On topic: no matter how many rational reasons there might be - here in Europe the perception of Apple has changed for the bad. As long as they made the best products that might have been no problem, but only the iPad is still the best of its class. You can't honestly say that about the iPhone anymore and the sales of MACs have only increased marginally last Q - and with the new pricing in Europe I don't see any increase here at all for the future.
p.s. If you find spelling or grammar mistakes you can keep them.

Zandros

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
I live in Finland (tax is 23%) and 0,79$ + 23% tax was exactly 0,79€. I keep asking what's the reason to rip off loyal customers just because they live in Europe?

The lowest US App Store pricing tier is $0.99, not $0.79. It's perfectly fair.

Incidentally it seems like there's no adjustment for the Swedish store (yet?), which means we have pretty great pricing.

Nick012

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007
I imagine we have the crooks in government in Europe for this. No doubt apple are trying to compensate for the collapsing value of the euro.

Still, if the euro ever bounces back I doubt these prices will ever come back down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.