Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
I wonder if one day they'll remove the 3.5" audio jack to make iDevices thinner.

No problem, just use our AirPods™ Bluetooth headphones!

This is one of those posts that we LOL at now...but later on when we go back and read your post after Apple actually does this it will be a lot less funny. I can actually see Apple making AirPods...haha...so bad.

----------

I've been looking into purchasing this generation iPod touch since the rumors a while back.

But now...with no GPS, no Ambient Light sensor, hideous colors, and no change in pricing, no EarPods with remote...I'm strongly reconsidering. What a disappointment.

BAD APPLE

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I wonder why they don't use the Front facing camera as a light sensor, like they currently do on the MacBooks ? :confused:

I am sure there has to be a way for them to activate only a couple photo cells to monitor light levels and such.

The sensor isn't IN the camera, it's right next to. One side has the green dot, the other has the camera.

----------

"it's just too thin!"

I see some memes coming :D

I was about to type that when I read your post :D

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Wasn't the first iPhone not fully compatible with all the headphones? I remember having to buy an extender or something like that.

That was only because the port sat flush in the case, so something with a slightly thick cover around the jack wouldn't fit.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The sensor isn't IN the camera, it's right next to. One side has the green dot, the other has the camera.
I am aware of this, please see the dialogue that took place prior to your reply.

They don't use the camera. The MacBooks, iMacs, etc have an ALS sensor. Opposite the camera light.

Thanks for that, I have one of the first unibody models, and I never noticed that :) . Have to look super close to even see it. :eek:

roadie.f

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
No big loss IMO, the light sensor drives me crazy.

It's no big loss to you, but a big huge loss for many other people, the ALS is one of the things that make my iPhone useable, so if I'm a buyer of an iPod, this would be a dealbreaker.

dacz

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
They say the sensor has been left out because there is not enough room for it, but they found room for the silly "apple loop" plug that is like 10 times the size of such sensor.

Phil, Phil... Really? -.-'

I totally agree with you. I mean seriously!! They managed to put in a camera that sticks out, might as well put a sensor that sticks out too on the other side so it can at least offset the wobbling! :)

rolledm

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
This would never have happened if Steve Jobs were alive. This points to the general decline of Apple and Tim Cook’s lack of concern over product specs. Time for another Apple stock downgrade. I’m sure millions of iPod Touch users are up in arms for spending $299 and getting less functionality than last year’s model Touch

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Excuse my Ignorance But,

what purpose does a light sensor serve anyway? I don't own an IPod so I am curious. Maybe Apple calculated that thinnest was more important than the reason for a light sensor.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
what purpose does a light sensor serve anyway? I don't own an IPod so I am curious. Maybe Apple calculated that thinnest was more important than the reason for a light sensor.

It automatically sets the brightness of the screen based on the amount of light in the environment.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
good use? what does that mean? By all reports heavy LTE usage and general usage of the phone will not last more then one day.

again, it's been heavily reported battery performance is the SAME as the 4S, so unless you have super special edition you're just lying

Sorry, in UK so we don't have 4G...yet.

My use is listening to some music, SSHing into web servers, text & iMessage and a small number of calls. 50% of day it's on 3G, 50% wifi. Battery life does fluctuate and it seems to last longer when I charge from <10% to full.

iThat

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
This is the one and only reason i will not be buying the 5th gen ipod touch or the 6th gen ipod touch for that matter if it also lacks a light sensor.
I'm sure even with the thinness of the device apple could have found a way to incorporate one into the IPT.
As a matter of fact I think there should have been more than one light sensor.
One on either side of the device.

Even tho this might be a feature that I "turn off" (to save resources or whatever) It's still a feature i want to have there and to use when i'm not using other apps that might not be necessary at that point in time.

The sensors available now are so small and take up such a inconspicuous amount of space this was a unbelievable blunder by apple.

For those of you who where not able to catch this lacking function in time I would suggest looking at the ".flux" project. It is not just for windows and linux any longer.
The .Flux app changes the ambiance of the screen based on the time of the day. The app will also have more features in the future. Not only changing light ambiance based on time of day but also surrounding weather conditions based on your current location as well combined.

EDIT:

That all being said, i wonder if the functionality could be re-added using both front and back cameras with THEIR incorporated sensors along with other data such as time of day and weather etc..
It wouldn't be worth going through the trouble if the camera hardware wasn't able to be used in my mind anyways.
hrm.....

EDIT II:
This is the main reason i believe my old 3GS with old bootrom and 4s are still superior to any iphone out even the iphone 5. Just the feel of the devices blow away all the rest.
Someone also mentioned that the iPhone 5's sensor is not as good as the iphone 4/4s. Is this true ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.