Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
That's great, then the iPhone 5 can be unavailable there as well...

Shouldn't they at least try to overcome the current mountain of back orders?

Yep. If they could already deliver the device in the countries where it was 'officially' released before opening new markets, I wouldn't have an estimated delivery of 5 weeks for my iPhone. And yes, I 'pre-ordered', whatever that means.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
you know what man, i could care less if in the uk iphone 5 gets lunched at the same time as the US or India.....Apple is an american company, founded and operating in US......
... with about 70 percent of its revenues coming from outside of the U.S.
If anything, the rest of the world should get it first. ;)

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Some of these 'American comments' make me smh. You guys already got so many US-only features from Apple products. And I wonder how well (or bad) the Maps will do in these countries.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I am surprised people in these countries are paying close to $1200 for 16GB Model. I guess customs duty is high.

That is grey market price as of now. Infact the very first iPhone 5 sold for more than 2000 $ in India (from what i read somewhere).
But after the iPhone 5 is officially launched the price for 16GB will be around 900 $ (yes dollar rate kills the price). But as of now Galaxy S3 rules in India.

ARSC

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Nobody cares about the iPhone in India. Apple has lost the market share battle there a long time ago. Android and Blackberry own the Indian market. Its the truth.

It's just that people think apple products are overpriced in india.

I know some people who sold 150 phones in the last two weeks with a average rates of 1200 dollars for iPhone 5.

God knows from where did they get the phone.

If they launch the phones like us and uk they will get sales simple.

sasasule

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Netherlands
I cannot remember where did I read....Oh it was something like Tim Cook is master of supply chain....Yea my ass :) he was probably when SJ was alive, because he wiped him on daily base so supply chain was arranged on better level. Now if you look behind every single product that was out under his leadership was delayed, delayed, delayed….

Anyway I am glad that my contract for previous iPhone is still ongoing for 3more month...End will come exactly when all issues are fixed and selling start to roll normally....

I am glad for that :)

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
agree with you guys

What is the point to allow segmentation of the market, if the Iphones are not available in US, Europe...etc.

I called Orange today and they received from apple only black 16gb iPhone 5s
I can not preorder, or reserve. All I have to do is call in and ask if they have it.

I do not understand one thing. Why we can not buy it from Apple and then claim it at providers?

patatasfritas

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
If ignorance were bliss, you would be the autocrat of a one-man utopia.

Because of people like you, the rest of the world thinks of The US as an uncivilised country (Fact).

Please sit at home while you wait for your phone (what a sad life you have if it all revolves around a phone) and think hard about all the things you've said, and remember that you only made yourself sound dead ignorant and stupid.

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
Can't wait for iphone 5 to release in India.

Most probably the release date will be 26th Oct as reported in this thread. My first hand information from an authorised apple store in India. They told me its gonna release in October itself.

Although they didn't tell date, but 26 seems pretty likely as airtel, vodafone and MTNL are ready with nano sims also.

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
got an update from apple store, that its not launching on Oct 26 as reported earlier....but now the date is shifted to November 1st week :(

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
iPhone 5 releasing in India on 2nd November. Apple stores have started to take Pre orders also....!!

I booked my white 64 GB :D

Prices are INR 45500, 52500 and 59500 for the 3 models respectively.

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
Well that's ok considering that US got it first and we had to wait for more than a month for it.

Afterall other countries users also want it :) :apple:

DevilInDisguise

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
iPhone 5 releasing in India on 2nd November. Apple stores have started to take Pre orders also....!!

I booked my white 64 GB :D

Prices are INR 45500, 52500 and 59500 for the 3 models respectively.

Kaushal, Which city/state prices are these from?

Im in Maharashtra and taxes are higher here by 8.5% on mobile phones over all other states in the country.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
And you still can't walk into an Apple store in the US and buy one.

here we go again.

there is a world outside of america. and people outside of America are generally paying higher prices for them. so there is profit to be made in other countries. and what makes the US more deserving of iphone 5 than other countries.

here in Qatar unlocked iphone 5 devices are going for 16 gb are going for $1000 and 64gb are almost $1400. in america you are paying less than half of that. and there is currently isn't any iphone 5 locked into a network here yet so people are forced to buy it at that price. vodafone is going to come out with theirs at the end of this month but it still cost $700 (and its locked into vodafone). which is still pricey.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
here we go again.

there is a world outside of america. and people outside of America are generally paying higher prices for them. so there is profit to be made in other countries. and what makes the US more deserving of iphone 5 than other countries.

here in Qatar unlocked iphone 5 devices are going for 16 gb are going for $1000 and 64gb are almost $1400. in america you are paying less than half of that. and there is currently isn't any iphone 5 locked into a network here yet so people are forced to buy it at that price. vodafone is going to come out with theirs at the end of this month but it still cost $700 (and its locked into vodafone). which is still pricey.

Simple. Apple is an American company, supply your home demand first. And I would venture to guess that Apple doesn't make more money on foreign sales, it's the import taxes and fees that drive the price up. Take Brazil for example. There is a 60% duty fee imposed on imported goods, now take the price gouging by the sellers and you have the outrageous prices being charged. Apple is not charging Qatar customers $1000.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Simple. Apple is an American company, supply your home demand first. And I would venture to guess that Apple doesn't make more money on foreign sales, it's the import taxes and fees that drive the price up. Take Brazil for example. There is a 60% duty fee imposed on imported goods, now take the price gouging by the sellers and you have the outrageous prices being charged. Apple is not charging Qatar customers $1000.

You gotta to be kidding.

Apple is about making profits. So why not branch out it other countries. Just because apple is an American company doesn't mean it should only focus on American customers. The world outside of America is huge.

When there was a Wii shortage Japanese people weren't whining about there should be enough wiis at ho,e before the rest of the world.

You act as there is a food shortage . So what you got to wait 3 for a new igagdet. That's a first world problem my friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.