Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple customers are no longer asking for Blu-ray drives in their Macs these days, according to Apple marketing head Phil Schiller. This is perhaps unsurprising given Apple's trend toward removing optical drives from its notebook and now desktop lines, but may regardless cause some consternation among Blu-ray fans.

A MacRumors post from June 2010 in which Steve Jobs told a reader that it appeared Blu-ray would be beaten by downloadable formats garnered more comments for a news post than any other in our history, and we still hear from tipsters asking when Apple will finally include a Blu-ray player in its Macs.

thisiswheretheblurayisnt.jpg
According to an interview Phil Schiller did with Time's Harry McCracken, native Blu-ray support will likely never come to the Mac.
Schiller pointed out that one major application for optical drives, software distribution, has gone largely digital. As for video, he said that "Blu-ray has come with issues unrelated to the actual quality of the movie that make [it] a complex and not-great technology...So for a whole plethora of reasons, it makes a lot of sense to get rid of optical discs in desktops and notebooks."

His preferred Blu-ray alternative? iTunes, of course, which lets you buy a movie and then watch it on all your Apple devices.

Once upon a time, people assumed that Macs' lack of Blu-ray was a delay, not a permanent decision to fast-forward past it. I told Schiller that I imagined folks don't ask about it much these days. "Correct," he said.
External Blu-ray drives are available currently via USB 2/3 and eventually via Thunderbolt but, given the overwhelming trend towards downloaded media, these are certainly niche products.

Article Link: Phil Schiller Claims Customers Aren't Asking for Built-In Blu-Ray Anymore

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I don't have a bluray player in my house at all. Bluray movies are overpriced and inconvenient. I much prefer netflix streaming. The image quality is sharp enough for me.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Apparently people aren't asking for optical drives or sufficient storage any longer, either . . .

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
He's right, for the most part. Physical media formats are a thing of the past. 8 Track. VHS. CD/DVD. Blu-Ray. Each has their day but more and more things move to the Cloud and/or online.

Personally I prefer it that way. But that's my opinion and preference.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Haven't used a DVD player in years. Though you can get an external player for less than $100 bucks if you really need it.

martygras9

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
I was a huge advocate for Blu-ray about three years ago and I can honestly say I don't remember the last time I bought one.

Interesting side note: I had an employer who disliked Blu-ray because, and I quote, "It tints the picture blue."

linuxophile

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
here
I say BS

I for one need to burn dvds with data (e.g. physical backup of photos). Not often, but on occasion.
I don't think I am significantly away from any average consumer.
As for Blue Ray I can't say (I don't even watch dvds at all, so in that respect I am in the tail of the gaussian.)

And if "you can have it external" then it does misses the point of the sleekness factor.

doctorossi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
You're right, Phil- we're not asking for it anymore; we've given up hope. Self-fulfilling prophecy much?

As for me, I'll stop being interested in Blu-ray as soon as there's something better. There isn't yet- certainly not iTunes.

pil0tflame

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
London, Ontario
I've yet to hear anyone ask for a thinner or lighter iMac either... :rolleyes:

I have heard people asking for cooler and quieter iMacs and for iMacs with desktop CPUs & GPUs. ;)

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I have few discs in blu-ray and when I play it the quality is really amazing. That said the convenience of streaming beats any physical format.

Truth is while I do have the blu-ray player/disc, I use it less and less.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I bet like my USB bluray player, they are almost exclusivly used with MakeMKV, DVDFAB, and others to get movies into the computer (and then to the iPad), rather than to watch them.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
I have an external USB blue-ray drive since 2007, but I dont used it anymore indeed other than to install windows 7 into paralle desktop.

I converted all my blue-ray and Dvd's into .m4v files back in 2009 and I dont buy any of those anymore. I wonder how the dvd/BR business is nowadays, must be horrible. If I buy something its in itunes, I like the fact you can stream from the cloud for life, no need to manage the media anymore.

What I would love is a way to convert my DVD's and BR into the cloud so its flag like a buy into intunes. I would not care going into an Apple Store and trade in the media. That would be awesome.

Last edited:

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I can sort of see getting rid of optical drives in notebooks, but for desktop machines it just seems silly. Users lose a great backup option, and they can't simply pop in a DVD or CD anymore, when the part probably only costs Apple less than $5.

Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that optical drives are one of the parts most likely to fail, and they are trying to reduce warranty repairs, but it's still annoying.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
Yeah because everyone has given up on Apple giving us Blu-ray. I would sure have liked the ability to at least attach an external one and play a blu-ray movie on a disc. Instead I have to hook up a PS3 to watch any blu-ray movies.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I don't have a bluray player in my house at all. Bluray movies are overpriced and inconvenient. I much prefer netflix streaming. The image quality is sharp enough for me.

He's right, for the most part. Physical media formats are a thing of the past. 8 Track. VHS. CD/DVD. Blu-Ray. Each has their day but more and more things move to the Cloud and/or online.

Haven't used a DVD player in years. Though you can get an external player for less than $100 bucks if you really need it.

Same here

And I guess all of you don't have a decent AVR, let alone a decent speaker system. If you ever heard a Blu-Ray DTS HD Master over a decent home theater (which btw is specced up to 10MBit/s stream for audio) you wouldn't talk this stuff out of your backs.

Do I need a Mac as HTPC? Sure as hell not, because I actually own a lot of Blu-Rays and some of them (those Live Concert Blus) are a real joy to watch over and over again.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
A big **** you to HDCP technology

I have a blu-ray drive in my desktop but apparently my pristine condition 23" Apple Cinema display is not good enough to play a blu-ray video despite having a 1920x1200 resolution

Thankfully 1080p Video runs flawlessly on it

Last edited by a moderator:

mr jnvii

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
How the heck is Blu-ray expensive? It costs around $25, and you usually get a Blu-ray/DVD combo with that, as well as a digital copy.

I love Blu-ray for any movie with action in it. It looks amazing on a HDTV.

I never buy movies directly from iTunes since I don't have an Apple TV, and if I did I may not always have one and/or something else that's better may come along. I'll always have something that plays DVD's/Blu-rays.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
I for one need to burn dvds with data (e.g. physical backup of photos). Not often, but on occasion.
I don't think I am significantly away from any average consumer.
As for Blue Ray I can't say (I don't even watch dvds at all, so in that respect I am in the tail of the gaussian.)

And if "you can have it external" then it does misses the point of the sleekness factor.

I now used USB keys or external drives for backup or to share data now. That cant fit youre needs?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Agreed

I totally agree with you. Streaming and using the Cloud is the best way to go.. But the only negative about it is.. relying so heavily on those services.. will be a PAIN when issues arise..

RonDMC

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
If Apple are never going to include a Blu-Ray drive then they need to offer Movies and TV Shows from iTunes at Blu-Ray bitrate with the HD audio tracks in place and include HD Audio support in the Apple TV etc.

I rip my Blu-Rays to uncompressed MVK's with the HD Audio tracks and stream them using Windows MCE. Until Apple offer full bitrate downloads with HD Audio I won't go near an Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.