Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Economic Times reports that Apple will be launching the iPhone 5 in India on November 2, one week from today. The launch had previously been rumored for today, but the new report claims that shipping delays forced Apple to push the launch back by a week.

iphone_5_coming_soon1.jpg
Apple's global rollout plan was addressed in the company's earnings conference call yesterday, with CEO Tim Cook acknowledging in response to a question from JPMorgan analyst Mark Moskowitz that schedules are somewhat fluid based on supply and demand.
What we did initially, Mark, was we planned the first 30-40 countries prior to introducing the product and rolled those out across September on two different dates. The balance of the quarter we planned with an eye toward the supply and what we think the demand will be, but we do plan these in advance and so it is not a precise science. And we obviously have to plan those with several weeks of notice and so occasionally it can be different than what we think.
It does appear that this next round of launches coming on November 2 is a fairly substantial one, as we have also seen reports saying that the iPhone 5 will be launching on that date in Bulgaria, Malta, Romania, and Thailand, and there are likely to be other countries included in this group.

Apple noted during its conference call that it remains on track to make the iPhone 5 available in at least 100 countries by the end of the year, although many of those additions will not be coming until December. The device launched in nine countries on September 21, with an additional 22 countries seeing debuts on September 28.

Update 10:01 AM: Greece is also included in this round of launches. MacRumors posters have noted that the device will also be launching in Croatia, the Dominican Republic, and Mexico.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Launching in India and Other Countries on November 2

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
wonder what the wait time will be on pre-orders?

Just not sure how Apple/foxconn is going to keep up with demand.

euphlyusUNO

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
This thing won't see much success in India. with no subsidies, this thing retails @60,000 INR, it's very expensive! to put things into perspective, you can get a new car for 200,000 INR or a year's undergrad college tuition @60,000

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
This thing won't see much success in India. with no subsidies, this thing retails @60,000 INR, it's very expensive! to put things into perspective, you can get a new car for 200,000 INR or a year's undergrad college tuition @60,000

College or an iPhone? That cost would keep the iPhone sales down in India.

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
Meanwhile, wait time in the USA for people who still want to buy one is 4 weeks.

Hey Apple: How about you ramp up production enough to meet existing demand before you start selling in more countries? Or would that be too much to ask?

Foxykhat

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Any news on when the factory unlock iPhone 5 will be available for purchase in the US?

Foxy

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
and they still are 3-4 weeks behind rest of the world...

still have not released the unlocked version in the US.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The iPhone 5 is not "coming soon" to anywhere....according to Apple it still takes at least 3-4 weeks to ship an order from them. For that reason, I'm not getting one. Too much of a hassle.

joris538

macrumors member
May 15, 2010
Oh they're sending the iPhone I ordered 4 weeks ago to India, that explains the message I got from my carrier yesterday that it will take another 3 weeks before they receive a new shipment...

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
64 GB is said to cost around $ 1200 unlocked - this is official pricing in all iStores!

ccmovies

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
Boston
I've been waiting nearly a month for my iPhone 5 and it still says three to four weeks in the US. So, I'm not sure how they're going to be able to keep up with demand.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
It's silly to keep rolling out when they haven't caught up with orders yet...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.