Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XJGPN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
I run the Inspection, Testing & Maintenance department for a Fire Sprinkler Contractor. I am looking for software that would allow me to have technicians in the field fill out inspection reports on an ipad, and then forward them to the office upon completion. It seems to me that this is something that would be available, but I am having difficulty finding anything that does this. The closest I’ve seen is home inspection apps. Alternatively, PDF writing/editing programs could be usable.
I see 2 possible ways this would work. The first and preferable option would be software that was able to build a job specific report based on a database of questions. This way as a tech got to a job specific item, they could select “Add Dry Valve” and then the questions for a “Dry Valve” would come up, then at the end of the report, it would have built a complete job specific report in an editable format that could then be sent remotely to the office where it would be processed.
The second and less desirable option, although still workable, would be software that let the tech fill out one of our inspection reports in PDF form. I plan on looking at PDF Max, iannotate, goodreader & pdf expert. In this instance, all that would be needed would be to check the check boxes, fill out the fields and be able to hand write signatures onto pre-made PDF forms.
Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction as to where I should be looking for this?

XJGPN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Take a look at Formconnect.

Thank you for the suggestion. That would definitely be usable, although a bit different than what I am picturing. I am thinking more something that would have a UITableView that I could add or subtract entries from. Each one would then have a series of questions and the answer to those questions would be able to prompt specific responses (ie "compliant" which would simply check a box, "deficient" which would prompt for a description and picture, and N/A which would prompt for a reason, preferably with some pre-determined answers from a pull down menu.) upon completion of a job, I would want it to compile all the info and publish it into a report... I may be expecting too much, and maybe what I'm looking for is something that I need to just write myself in Xcode.

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Thank you for the suggestion. That would definitely be usable, although a bit different than what I am picturing. I am thinking more something that would have a UITableView that I could add or subtract entries from. Each one would then have a series of questions and the answer to those questions would be able to prompt specific responses (ie "compliant" which would simply check a box, "deficient" which would prompt for a description and picture, and N/A which would prompt for a reason, preferably with some pre-determined answers from a pull down menu.) upon completion of a job, I would want it to compile all the info and publish it into a report... I may be expecting too much, and maybe what I'm looking for is something that I need to just write myself in Xcode.

iForm will do this i'm pretty sure.

XJGPN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
iForm will do this i'm pretty sure.

iForm looks really good, but their pricing structure is really screwy. There aren't companies that do the same thing but you can just buy the software without having to buy a subscription service?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.