Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What's your budget ?

Basically go for a Wacom intuos and if you can't afford a new one, consider purchasing a second hand older model (intuos 3) as they are still better than the bamboo range,

And any of the wacoms are better than the competition (or lack of) on the mac front.

And if budget isn't an issue, but a Cintiq 24ux and buy one for me at same time for suggesting it ;) :)

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
I have a Wacom Bamboo and it is excellent.

Easy to use, very responsive and does exactly what I need for editing in PS.

Also it was very reasonable to buy as well. I'd recommend trying one out, some folks don't get on with Tablets but they are great and make photo editing a much easier task.

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
Did you prefer the bamboo over the intuos when you first started? I was looking at the specs and it seems the intuos just doubles in pressure levels, resolution and price.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Grab a Wacom Intuos. They survive 5 years with ease, and it is easy to get spare parts like pencil tips or cover sheets.
Get one size larger than the largest you can afford.
The Large is preferable (A4 size). It works so much nicer than the A5 or smaller ones. I know it costs a shïtload of money, but it will seriously improve working speed and decrease RSI troubles.

As said before, if you are on budget, a second hand might be interesting. All models since the 3 are great.

halfcamerageek

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
elpmas, the Intuos5 Medium is amazing. I use one with a Dell 30" LCD, not only for Photoshop and Illustrator, but for all the other programs. It works amazingly well, except for the touch input, which is not on par with a modern laptop trackpad, even though it works well with the latest drivers from Wacom. In fact, I haven't used a mouse for the past 14 years. The tablet is much more ergonomic and cured my wrist pain.

If you have a very large display, like mine, or use multiple LCDs, I'd recommend you to buy the medium sized Intuos. The higher resolution is very apparent when you map the tablet to a large display area.

If you're using a display up to 1920 x 1080 pixels, like most 24" LCDs on the market, the Bamboo Create would suit you well. It's a great tablet that can be used for professional work just fine. You can find here a comparison between the Bamboo and Intuos models and also a display vs. tablet size chart.

Hope this helps.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I've narrowed it down to intuos5 medium but I'm reading the reviews on amazon and its not looking too good for it. :/

In terms of build quality, they've been going downhill for years. The intuo3 would pinch the cord where it exited. The 4 had usb soldering issues and nibs wore down quickly. The 5 switched to an unremovable surface on most models. Make sure that thing stays super clean. Just things like skin oil can cause a lot of wear on it. I used to replace them annually. It's not really possible with the 5, which is why I've been hesitant to purchase one. Their turnaround service times are a bit ridiculous. Basically you're looking at Wacom or monoprice. Wacom has been the go to brand for them since the 1990s. Anyway I like the large ones. The resolution of your display doesn't matter. The size does. The larger the display, the more exaggerated your cursor movement becomes when using a tablet. I prefer 1:1, but that is difficult to achieve outside of the cintiq models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.