Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
FYI:
1. It's $9,99, not $15
2. There is no risk of breaking your phone at such low voltage
3. $3 is less than the avarage cost of shipping

1. It's $4 shipping, so $14 vs $19 from Apple, if you buy three to earn the free shipping (which is a big outlay, I admit), or pick up in a store.

3. You can get 30 pin cables on Amazon for $1 including shipping. $3 or under, with shipping, is a fair expectation for an aftermarket product like this. Not $14 after shipping.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Good. Apple deserves to lose business to a cheaper alternative for trying to unnecessarily make the lightening connector proprietary and on top of that not even provide any good accessories almost a month from the launch of lightening.

its their connector for their product -- they did the R&D and created something better than the alternatives. thats the definition of proprietary, and in freedom-loving america it's their right to profit from it. i wouldnt have it any other way.

you must not have experience running your own business. only somebody whos never created something of their own would say somebody else *deserves* to have their IP stolen from them because you waaaaant it.

----------

why is a 10 cent cable $20 ?

ignorance is bliss. welcome to the party.

----------

Since when have we started paying $30 for cables?

why are dumb plastic cases $35?

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
FYI:
1. It's $9,99, not $15
2. There is no risk of breaking your phone at such low voltage
3. $3 is less than the avarage cost of shipping

Even without shipping. Is it worth $10 to buy from an unknown Chinese vendor? It is something you are going to connect to your $200-$500 ($199 with no AppleCare - $399+$99 AppleCare, more for unlocked iPhones)

The low voltage may not damage the phone, but how reliable are they? If my Apple cables get damaged, I can get them replaced for free at the Apple Store. I have done that with my USB cables and headphones, even after AppleCare runs out.

I will spend the extra $10.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
why is a 10 cent cable $20 ?

Apple is turning into Best Buy :mad:

Please start a business and sell these cables for 10 cents. I'll order 1000 and make you bankrupt.

I wouldn't pay $9.00 for a nockoff. If it was a knockoff, I might think about it. And if it was a Lightning cable knockoff instead of a Lightening cable knockoff, I'll buy two. But until that happens, I'd rather buy from Apple.

It's a no-brainer, people. $4-$5 extra for peace of mind. Period.

Not exactly. $4-$5 for being guaranteed that it works vs. trying to get your money back if it doesn't work. In the EU you have the right to return the item within 7 days and get money including postage back if it doesn't work, or if you just changed your mind. However, having the right to return and actually getting your money back are two entirely different things.

Last edited:

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
The low voltage may not damage the phone, but how reliable are they? If my Apple cables get damaged, I can get them replaced for free at the Apple Store. I have done that with my USB cables and headphones, even after AppleCare runs out.
To be entirely honest with you, Apple headphones and cables are not that reliable, every single one I had got damaged. There's a guy sitting in front of me who's on his second cable and it's already damaged. I bought an unnoficial 30-pin from eBay and it's ten times more robust. I did not know that you can ask Apple to replace them for you though :eek:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
its their connector for their product -- they did the R&D and created something better than the alternatives. thats the definition of proprietary, and in freedom-loving america it's their right to profit from it. i wouldnt have it any other way.

you must not have experience running your own business. only somebody whos never created something of their own would say somebody else *deserves* to have their IP stolen from them because you waaaaant it.

This is not IP stealing, it's just creating a compatible connector with a proprietary design. It would be IP stealing if you built a new phone with the same Lightning port. No one should be punished for providing a compatible interface. This is the freedom of going and coming... data, in this case, but you can't deny my own data from flowing just for the sake of IP.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Knock-off USB - $14
Apple USB - $19

Knock-off 30 pin to lightning - $24
Apple 30 pin to lightning - $29 (also way smaller and compact)

It's a savings, but by no means is it half price. And I seriously doubt it's built as well as the Apple version.

Thankfully all I needed was one 30 pin adapter. All is well. :cool:

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
To be entirely honest with you, Apple headphones and cables are not that reliable, every single one I had got damaged. There's a guy sitting in front of me who's on his second cable and it's already damaged. I bought an unnoficial 30-pin from eBay and it's ten times more robust. I did not know that you can ask Apple to replace them for you though :eek:

I have had a lot of them get damaged but none have stopped working. It is mostly superficial damage, lot of weak points in the places that wires connect to plastic parts.

I have a few 3rd party 30-pin cords (that come with car chargers, etc) and some also get damaged in the same way, but also have not stopped working.

For the prices that I pay, Apple better replace stuff that falls apart. I am pretty gentle with my electronics, that is probably part of why they replace these things without asking questions.

mephiska

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Knock-off USB - $14
Apple USB - $19

Knock-off 30 pin to lightning - $24
Apple 30 pin to lightning - $29 (also way smaller and compact)

It's a savings, but by no means is it half price. And I seriously doubt it's built as well as the Apple version.

Thankfully all I needed was one 30 pin adapter. All is well. :cool:

You're forgetting about shipping since you still can't find these adapters in the store. Apple also charges $4 for shipping, and tax.

This is the one that they've cloned, cost is $39 + $4 shipping from Apple.

So $23.90 for the knockoff vs $43 (~$46.50 with tax) for the official apple version.

I'll take my chances with the knockoff. I'd rather fund Chinese ingenuity over padding Apple's pockets further on their "proprietary" adapters.

And everyone who says "why risk your phone?" - that's not a valid argument. USB voltage won't damage it, worst case scenario is it won't work.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I hope Apple goes after these companies who are ripping off their tech. No one should buy one of these cables.

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
And everyone who says "why risk your phone?" - that's not a valid argument. USB voltage won't damage it, worst case scenario is it won't work.

These must be the same poeple who purchase Monster cables.

Last edited:

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
You're forgetting about shipping since you still can't find these adapters in the store. Apple also charges $4 for shipping, and tax.

This is the one that they've cloned, cost is $39 + $4 shipping from Apple.

So $23.90 for the knockoff vs $43 (~$46.50 with tax) for the official apple version.

I'll take my chances with the knockoff. I'd rather fund Chinese ingenuity over padding Apple's pockets further on their "proprietary" adapters.

There's 4 shelves of them in my store. I walked in last week when I made that post and saw them. Then 5 days later I went back and there were still plenty on the shelf. This is in Raleigh, NC so it's not a small city.

I was also using the 30 pin to lightning dock connector and not the cable version, my bad. But I'd like to see the quality first. I've gotten cheap connectors before and they were absolute garbage. A waste of the $10-15 I spent. I opened one up and saw frayed, soldered wires and glue of some type. The weight of the cable caused the plastic housing it had to separate. But this is my experience with products from Amazon with 4 star ratings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.