Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Just compared the Samsung and the LG side by side in the Apple store. LG screen definitely looks better. The color balance was better on the LG. The Samsung looked kind of washed out (relatively speaking, only noticeable when compared side by side, still much better than other displays) and had a blue tint to the whites. Maybe the LG was a newer screen but it was brighter as well. (The Samsung is supposed to be brighter due to their PLS technology)

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Just compared the Samsung and the LG side by side in the Apple store. LG screen definitely looks better. The color balance was better on the LG. The Samsung looked kind of washed out (relatively speaking, only noticeable when compared side by side, still much better than other displays) and had a blue tint to the whites. Maybe the LG was a newer screen but it was brighter as well. (The Samsung is supposed to be brighter due to their PLS technology)

how about the crispness of the text? and vividness of the colour?

iPersian

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Don't think they make them with bad screens anymore. Mine came directly from the factory. Production Week 44.

:)

how on earths name do you know that? unless theyve updated the display model, then its the same display and the same technology.

dont worry it will show up. apple has done nothing new.

addition: the screens have been produced earlier than week 44. week 44 is assembly week of the machine.

beestigbeestje

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Belgium
how on earths name do you know that? unless theyve updated the display model, then its the same display and the same technology.

dont worry it will show up. apple has done nothing new.

addition: the screens have been produced earlier than week 44. week 44 is assembly week of the machine.

Cause you can track where your delivery is coming from. And it didn't came from the regular depot at the Netherlands or United Kingdom. It came from China. I don't "exactly know" if it came STRAIGHT from the factory, I said it metaphorically.

I'm telling you man. NO FREAKIN ghost.

iPersian

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Cause you can track where your delivery is coming from. And it didn't came from the regular depot at the Netherlands or United Kingdom. It came from China. I don't "exactly know" if it came STRAIGHT from the factory, I said it metaphorically.

I'm telling you man. NO FREAKIN ghost.

look you dont get it do you. all of the macs ive received lately that have been faulty have come from the factory itself.

foxconn assembles pieces together in china. it receives displays from LG and samsung so even though your mac is made in the factory in week 44 doesnt mean the display is made on that week. that factory doesnt make the displays, it assembles them only.

your display can be a year old since apple has bought a large portion/pile of displays that they are still using from.

addition: the ghost doesnt always show itself at the beginning. it may take months

but it will! show up.

Iago

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
I have an LG screen, got the comp in early august and it showed slight retention with the test, but didn't really show in real use.

Now however 5 mins and I can see it on the dark blue tumblr website. It has gotten worse.
Now It will have little resale value, unless apple remedies the screens next year sometime and I can get a new model screen...But that doesn't sound likely.

As the samsung ones have colour and pixel problems too....well I slowly saved up a lot of money for this (I'm a uni student). My family has always had apple products and they have been pretty great till now. I guess I was too optimistic as now I'm a guinea pig...

(if it doesn't get worse I'm still pretty happy but if it does...paying 3.2k for a faulty comp when I work in design....not happy)

Last edited:

thegreatdivorce

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2010
Upper Left USA
LG.

What am I supposed to be having problems with? Haven't noticed anything, and I've been using it ~12 hours a day since I got it 3 or 4 weeks ago. Seems great to me, especially after calibration.

Iago

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
LG.

What am I supposed to be having problems with? Haven't noticed anything, and I've been using it ~12 hours a day since I got it 3 or 4 weeks ago. Seems great to me, especially after calibration.

If it's LG problems will likely occur later on. Did you try the checkerboard test?

eeclipse16

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
LG.

Samsung and no problems whatsoever.

Don't think they make them with bad screens anymore. Mine came directly from the factory. Production Week 44.

:)

No issues, LG panel.
Most beautiful screen I've seen in a laptop.

I thought my screen was good until I tried this. :mad::mad::apple:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bwh_GnwBFA&feature=youtu.be

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
look you dont get it do you. all of the macs ive received lately that have been faulty have come from the factory itself.

foxconn assembles pieces together in china. it receives displays from LG and samsung so even though your mac is made in the factory in week 44 doesnt mean the display is made on that week. that factory doesnt make the displays, it assembles them only.

your display can be a year old since apple has bought a large portion/pile of displays that they are still using from.

addition: the ghost doesnt always show itself at the beginning. it may take months

but it will! show up.

I have a hard time believing they have a stack of displays waiting to be installed. I doubt lg can just stop eveything their doing and pump out millions of displays just for this model. Maybe at the beginning they do but now I'd bet they receive regular shipments from lg just like any other company.

jaziCo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
SoCal (Orange County)
Sorry but its true!

I was one of those guys, that said "Hey I have an LG screen, and it gorgeous, leave me alone" I also was a skeptic, thinking that "iGhost" wouldn't show up...

Well..... I have owned the rMBR since launch... and had no issues with IR UNTILL now that is.. it's unfortunate guys.. but these guys were right all along.. it will end up happening.. what's worse.. it takes but a mere minute or two for the IR to take place!

So... FML

lol, Im not sure when I will be going in.. but for now I'm way to busy, and using my Laptop extensively.

Evev12

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
FWIW I'll share my experience. Just received a retina 2 weeks ago with an LG...loved the screen but it did exhibit ghosting (week 43 or 44) and this forum made me completely paranoid that it was going to get worse...which I think it probably would have....but then again, even if it did, I'm pretty sure Apple would have replaced it once it became obvious that it was an issue. I don't think their stance has even been to screw the customer. They seem pretty accomodating and forgiving on issues such as these.

In any case, I was thinking about returning it but opted instead to go for a replacement, as it seems most (if not all) are being replaced with the Sammys. I went to the Apple store....NEVER expecting to fail the IR test, as it was still really slight, but somehow it failed. Then I received the email with that whole 666-7171 (?) part number and had my screen replaced....and indeed it was a Samsung. Couldn't notice much difference at first, other than that the viewing angle was slightly worse as there was more color shifting in the greys/some colors...and I HATE color shifting, but it's really not that bad. Anyhow the screen looks great (no yellow banding, no pixel probs), etc. And now I can rest easy that I don't have to worry about future problems.

One last point which I found interesting was that I was getting pretty iritated at the store before the screen test and asked how much longer I'd be waiting to which he grabbed a genius and asked him to get on the "NSP" ASAP. I was trying to figure out what that might stand for...."New Samsung Panel"????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.