Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I came across a nice guy selling a 64GB iPad 2 3G for market price - I didn't want the iPad 2 but I noticed it came with unlimited data plan. I paid him and got everything transfered to my name, etc. The question is now how should I go about transferring it to an iPad Mini?

I assume iPad 3/4 I would just pop in the microsim but with the Mini did anyone have to input their account into when pre-ordering? I pre-ordered a wifi mini but I guess it's time to either change the order or find an iPad 3. :cool:

Time to go cray on netflix :D:D:D

Last edited:

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I came across a nice guy selling a 64GB iPad 2 3G for a decent price - I didn't want the iPad 2 but it came with unlimited data plan. I paid him and got everything transfered to my name, etc. The question is now how should I go about transferring it to an iPad Mini?

I assume iPad 3/4 I would just pop in the microsim but with the Mini did anyone have to input their account into when pre-ordering? I pre-ordered a wifi mini but I guess it's time to either change the order or find an iPad 3. :cool:

Time to go cray on netflix :D:D:D

How does it come with an unlimited plan?

On edit: I didn't know you could transfer plans to other people.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
How does it come with an unlimited plan?

I would assume the plan is under the other guy's account tied to his name and credit card. He must be retard if he gave it to you with active SIM. :eek:

He had an iPad 1, then when he upgraded to the 2 he was grandfathered in.

It's not as scary as you think. We met at a Barns & Noble and he signed into the account, then he erased his info and then gave me the ipad and I put in a new email, password, and CC/Billing info. Saved it and that's it :) took 5 mins max. :p

Note: Just in case anyone wonders on the account billing stuff - if the account is in good standing, when the seller sells you the iPad, whatever the billing date is you will have until then before they charge your account.

For example, he paid until the 20th of next month. Even though I changed the account login, and all billing info, I don't have to make another payment until the 20th of next month.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
He had an iPad 1, then when he upgraded to the 2 he was grandfathered in.

It's not as scary as you think. We met at a Barns & Noble and he signed into the account, then he erased his info and then gave me the ipad and I put in a new email, password, and CC/Billing info. Saved it and that's it :) took 5 mins max. :p

Note: Just in case anyone wonders on the account billing stuff - if the account is in good standing, when the seller sells you the iPad, whatever the billing date is you will have until then before they charge your account.

For example, he paid until the 20th of next month. Even though I changed the account login, and all billing info, I don't have to make another payment until the 20th of next month.

Cool.

Unless you can do it online, I would guess you would have to call AT&T, because you can't just swap SIMs unless you cut it to nano size.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Cool.

Unless you can do it online, I would guess you would have to call AT&T, because you can't just swap SIMs unless you cut it to nano size.

I thought about cutting it down but I really don't want to mess up an unlimited data sim card :eek:

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I thought about cutting it down but I really don't want to mess up an unlimited data sim card :eek:

They can always activate another SIM for your plan. They sell SIM cutters on Amazon for $10, but I would just get AT&T to activate the new SIM on the iPad.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
just go online and enter your sim info and you are good to go....it will activate the new sim....i am in the process of selling an unlimited plan and ive changed ipads a couple times.....

thefreeagent

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
New Mexico
No need to cut the sim OR to call AT&T...

You can actually just go to the cellular data account page on the iPad mini (or any other iPad) and sign in with your existing account, and it will give you the option to transfer your plan right then and there. That's what i did when transferring my unlimited data plan from the iPad 2 to the 3rd generation iPad. That way I was able to use the plan over LTE as well! It's pretty awesome you were able to score one of those plans...I've kept mine going since the first iPad was released in 2010. It's soooo worth it!

P.S.
an alternative way to transfer the plan is by going to the AT&T iPad data plan account page. There you'd just log in with your account info, then manually enter in the IMEI of the iPad mini as the device you want to transfer your data plan to. You can find it here:

https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/

Hope this helps!

[Edit: Fixed the link. Should work now...]

Last edited:

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
No need to cut a sim or burn a sweat

All you need to do is go to the iPad mini - manage account and it will ask you if you have an existing att account that you want to transfer the line to. That's it. The old sim is still usable. I do this few times a year with an unlimited data plan. You can switch between sims as many times as you want without running into issues

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
No need to cut a sim or burn a sweat

All you need to do is go to the iPad mini - manage account and it will ask you if you have an existing att account that you want to transfer the line to. That's it. The old sim is still usable. I do this few times a year with an unlimited data plan. You can switch between sims as many times as you want without running into issues

Is it done the same way when you have an iPad on your shared plan on AT&T? I can't view my account in settings. It says my account type is not supported. It says, I have to call.

yespi

macrumors member
May 28, 2007
I hope you understand that it's not really unlimited you'll get throttled by 5gb.

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
I have grandfathered unlimited data. DO NOT CHANGE THE PHONE NUMBER OF THE ACCOUNT. MAKE SURE THAT PAYMENTS DO NOT STOP. CHANGE THE BILLING INFO TO YOUR OWN BILLING INFO.

I don't know how you'll change the login associated with the account. You'll have to discuss that with the person who you bought the plan from.

Good luck!

----------

I hope you understand that it's not really unlimited you'll get throttled by 5gb.
Session-based data for iPad is not throttled. ;)

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Won't work with mobile share. Only works on prepaid accounts but you can get a nano to micro sim adapter from eBay. The nano sim is a drop thinner. So don't cut the sim to nano size. Instead, use the original nano sim with an adapter if you wan to switch back to your jumbo iPad.

Also - iPads aren't throttled at 5 GB. att released a public statement that they're not throttling iPads. All other unlimited devices are throttled. I use more than 15 GB a month without issues on my iPad 3

yespi

macrumors member
May 28, 2007
Also - iPads aren't throttled at 5 GB. att released a public statement that they're not throttling iPads. All other unlimited devices are throttled. I use more than 15 GB a month without issues on my iPad 3

My mistake sorry

appletvbob

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Regarding AT&T throttling

Won't work with mobile share

This is good to know. I am unlimited data grandfathered in from my iPad 1 to my iPad 3. ATT LTE blows my FIOS wifi off the map. ( I am not prone to hyperbole: trust me, it does)

I often turn off wifi at home out of frustration. Maybe my router is getting tired? Good lord... I hijacked this thread... Sorry.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
thanks for the info guys! Got it transferred to LTE without issue :) I appreciate everyone's input and help!

Thats awesome to know! I've been debating whether to buy a mobile hotspot but I really didn't want to bring another device :) a jail broken iPad 3 is obviously the best way to do this.

itzcoolz

macrumors regular
May 6, 2010
does anybody know if you are allowed to go back and forth? i bought an LTE iPad Mini and i own an LTE iPad 3... would I be able to switch the data connection over occasionally between the two (say... once or twice a month?)?

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
does anybody know if you are allowed to go back and forth? i bought an LTE iPad Mini and i own an LTE iPad 3... would I be able to switch the data connection over occasionally between the two (say... once or twice a month?)?
I don't think this is a problem. On the AT&T Session Based Data website, log into your account and just change the IMEI accordingly. I'm just not sure how you "log out" of your Cellular Data account on your two iPads.

Or, perhaps, you could just remove the SIM from the iPad you're not using. That is, swap the SIM as necessary. This should remedy the inability to "log out" of your Cellular Data account on each iPad. I'd guess that the device IMEI would automatically provision to your account.

skyler286

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Hello. Hope someone can help. Just purchased an unlimited data ipad 3 outside my state. When updating the billing info, should the billing be same as the service address or should I use the same service address from the person I bought it from? My thought is the service address should match up with the iPad's area code or it may raise a red flag.

Jaygeo

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Hello. Hope someone can help. Just purchased an unlimited data ipad 3 outside my state. When updating the billing info, should the billing be same as the service address or should I use the same service address from the person I bought it from? My thought is the service address should match up with the iPad's area code or it may raise a red flag.

Change all your info, credit card number needs to have your billing address used in your account, otherwise it will reject payment and you will lose your unlimited status

iPagan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
I want to know whether the ATT unlimited plan allow tether. I'd like my MBP to be tethered to my iPad. Otherwise, the unlimited data is of limited use to me. :)

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I want to know whether the ATT unlimited plan allow tether. I'd like my MBP to be tethered to my iPad. Otherwise, the unlimited data is of limited use to me. :)

The AT&T unlimited does not allow tether. The Verizon unlimited plan does (at least on the iPad it does).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.