Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mandark100

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
India

I've checked many websites for the information about launching date of unlocked iPhone 5. But haven't got the satisfactory information. So, may be this site could help me.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I would be very surprised if Apple started selling unlocked iPhone 5 before the end of November. Last year it was 4 weeks. But this year they had higher demand, releases in more countries and manufacturing problems. Apple said in its quarterly report that the manufacturing "problems" felt earlier in the month are abated and supply has improved and they want to get iPhone 5 phones in to the hands of any customer who wants to buy it. I expect the huge backlog of the big 3 wireless providers will be reduced by end of November. Apple might then start selling unlocked iPhone 5 to the rest of American not using the big 3, like T_mobile, Straight talk etc.

I've checked many websites for the information about launching date of unlocked iPhone 5. But haven't got the satisfactory information. So, may be this site could help me.

Cebuano1976

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona

I had waited almost 4 weeks since the iPhone 5 came out in stores for the unlocked version. With such a high demand from AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint customers, I'm guessing it's still going to be a few weeks more.

I just decided to get a Verizon iPhone 5 full price + $50 extra at Fry's Electronics.

mandark100

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
India
Unlocking AT&T iPhone 5 & its price?

As for now, Apple isn't selling the factory unlocked iPhone 5. I've read that if you buy an iPhone 5 with contract from AT&T, sites like eBay unlock it for $10. If you do so, what would be the total price of 16gb, 32gb, 64gb variants? Will it be $199+10 for 16gb, $299+10 for 32gb & $399+10 for 64gb or different?

mandark100

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
India
At Apple! If you lucky that they have some in stock just walk in and ask for a full price iphone 5. I reserved 3 iphone 5 got there told them i want them at full price and not at upgrade price! They cancel my reserved, and resell them back to me at full price.

What is the full price iphone 5? Please, can you make it more clear?

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
What is the full price iphone 5? Please, can you make it more clear?

16Gb starts at $649 plus tax which came out about $703 here in texas! $50 cheaper than last year when I bought the 4S on launch day full retail price at $699 plus tax which came out arund $75x and for the 4 it was the same price at $699! Previous years before for 3G/3GS were i believe $599 if i remember correctly. I buy my iphones at retail every year since the first gen!

hercurliness

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
At Apple! If you lucky that they have some in stock just walk in and ask for a full price iphone 5. I reserved 3 iphone 5 got there told them i want them at full price and not at upgrade price! They cancel my reserved, and resell them back to me at full price.

I haven't personally checked the apple store, but I've checked their site and they do not offer it unlocked on the site...why would they offer it in-store and not online?

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Buy it from someone who honestly doesn't care about their upgrade. I bought my 32gb for $600 + 3.50 unlock on ebay:)

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
I haven't personally checked the apple store, but I've checked their site and they do not offer it unlocked on the site...why would they offer it in-store and not online?

Because of supply and demand! If apple was selling full retail price online you will see scalpers buying them in masses. They would not bother going to the store and check daily. It would be so much easier for them to make that money!

Look at how Hong Kong online apple store? They have to have a lottery system, and you can't even walk in to buy one. So that sucks for local customers, and tourists.

mandark100

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
India
16Gb starts at $649 plus tax which came out about $703 here in texas! $50 cheaper than last year when I bought the 4S on launch day full retail price at $699 plus tax which came out arund $75x and for the 4 it was the same price at $699! Previous years before for 3G/3GS were i believe $599 if i remember correctly. I buy my iphones at retail every year since the first gen!

My brother lives in Newark, DE. I've read that there is no sales tax. So, if I am gonna get my 32gb AT&T ip5 from him, will it cost me $749+10?($10 extra to unlock from eBay)

mandark100

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
India
Buying an unlocked iPhone 5

Many people are discussing here about buying unlocked iPhone 5. (me too!) So, I just wanna ask you guys which unlocked iPhone 5 would be a good buy: Verizon or AT&T? If I have to buy either one of these, which should I prefer? Please, also mention the problems in buying unlocked AT&T or Verizon.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I believe either one will have the GSM portion (the SIM slot) unlocked, but the LTE frequency it would be of preference to you. I don't know much yet about the LTE frequencies, but I think AT&T is class 17 and Verizon class 14. Find out if both LTE bands are supported.

gtgrad95

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Atlanta, GA.
I believe either one will have the GSM portion (the SIM slot) unlocked, but the LTE frequency it would be of preference to you. I don't know much yet about the LTE frequencies, but I think AT&T is class 17 and Verizon class 14. Find out if both LTE bands are supported.

Which band does T-Mobile plan to support?

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Tmobile does not have LTE yet. In the meantime they are transitioning from the HSPA+ 1700Mhz (non iPhone compatible) to 1900Mhz (iPhone friendly) bands. HSPA+ is not 4G LTE, but it is fast enough to get great 3G speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.