Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Quick question about software on the iMac.

I have Adobe Lightroom 3 on my macbook pro and it is my understanding that I am allowed to use it's licence on 2 computers, so I want to use it on the new iMac when I eventually get it. How will I go about installing it, will I have to purchase an external DVD reader or is there another way.

Also I have Quicktime Player 7 on my macbook pro which I had to pay £20 for, am I going to have to do this again for the iMac or can I just copy it over?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just download the LightRoom demo from adobe and then plug in your serial #. The demo is the same product on the CD

Nov 28, 2010
located
You could use the MBPs optical disk drive (ODD) and insert any CD or DVD into it and copy off the contents off that CD or DVD via Finder or Disk Utility*
Then you can use the copied contents to copy them onto another external HDD or via network to the iMac.

Or you can use Remote Disc Sharing: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287

* How To Make Copies of DVDs - the first steps to create a CD or DMG are the ones useful for this, I did so with many of my software CDs and DVDs to store the optical media somewhere else and have the CDRs and DMGs easily available via an external HDD

----------

Just download the LightRoom demo from adobe and then plug in your serial #. The demo is the same product on the CD

Thought about that too, but Adobe does not offer trials of older versions of their applications that easily.

Adobe trials for CS3 to CS 5.5

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
You could use the MBPs optical disk drive (ODD) and insert any CD or DVD into it and copy off the contents off that CD or DVD via Finder or Disk Utility*
Then you can use the copied contents to copy them onto another external HDD or via network to the iMac.

Or you can use Remote Disc Sharing: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287

* How To Make Copies of DVDs - the first steps to create a CD or DMG are the ones useful for this, I did so with many of my software CDs and DVDs to store the optical media somewhere else and have the CDRs and DMGs easily available via an external HDD

----------

Thought about that too, but Adobe does not offer trials of older versions of their applications that easily.

Adobe trials for CS3 to CS 5.5

Thanks guys, very useful.

How about Quicktime 7, am I going to have to pay for it twice?

cooky560

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Around
As soon as I get anything on DVD, I make a DMG image and restore it onto a new partition on my USB HDD. It has about 50 partitions so far :p Means I will be ready for when this mac dies and there is no ODD

Nov 28, 2010
located
As soon as I get anything on DVD, I make a DMG image and restore it onto a new partition on my USB HDD. It has about 50 partitions so far :p Means I will be ready for when this mac dies and there is no ODD

Why the need for partitions? Wouldn't it simply suffice for you to store the DMG onto an external HDD and mount that?

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Do you actually pay for your software?

Making a DMG. from your disc seems the best option tho :D

I wonder about using the fusion drive, it automatically puts your applications on the SSD, if I were apple I'd check for authentic purchasing when doing that.

But I guess those of us who pirate have nothing to fear there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.