Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
That thing is Fugly and a ridiculous waste of $ for one persons glutinous desire.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
That thing is Fugly and a ridiculous waste of $ for one persons glutinous desire.

One family you mean. And, while I agree that this seems like a poor allocation of resources for humanity, shipbuilders, engineers, captains and harbor masters all depend on rich people and their super yachts.

At least the money isn't just sitting in some bank over seas iterating additional interest in the aether.

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
I'm not sure why you think something like this is ugly.

It looks sleek and well-proportioned, with lots of usable space. And a helipad too!

I said generic, not ugly. All those superyachts look the same except for the two that actually have sails, one of which is hideous, the other of which just looks kind of bizarre.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
I think I'd go more for one of those new super-sized cruise ships if I had billions. In case the zombie apocalypse broke out or global warming brings Waterworld, I'd get bored on anything smaller than a village. Nuclear power wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Last edited by a moderator:

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
More proof that you can't take it with you. It also makes me think higher of Bill Gates. He's doing better things with his money.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Can't say I'm a fan of this yacht. Looks more like a houseboat. Or a floating Apple Store!

#ugly

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The iMacs look cool, but I wonder if they actually control the instruments. That would be awesome. I don't like the exterior design of the yacht. It just looks odd and prone to tipping over. It doesn't even look like a floating Apple Store, just a floating... I have no idea.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Sad Steve never got to see it launch and enjoy it with his family.

Even sadder is the fact that Steve was so poor he couldn't give back to society.

Even his fellow pauper Bill Gates has given back some of his wealth, oops, I mean pennies.

Steve Jobs goes down in history as an exemplary example of a greedy man.

But hey... he concealed it well. Just like this canoe :)

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
… for some reason it also strikes me as lonely. Not sure how to verbalize it but even in the video from onemorething it just seems...... more than cold, somber, and no it's not just the music.

It's a very cold and vacant looking vessel. No warmth, no soul.

Hard, shiny, colorless materials like glass and aluminum tend to lack some warmth, but let's be fair… The sombre music of the video, the subtle shadow around the picture, the slow transitions, slow moving people, men dressed in white, all shot from a distance, the fact that we're all thinking of a very wealthy man who died and never got to enjoy this with his family… Don't tell me you're immune to the mood created by this! Different circumstances and a different video could have created an entirely different feel.

The design didn't blow me away when I saw it, but I don't think it looks anywhere near as bad as people are making out.

Namjins

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
USA
I agree the Shuffle is an insult. It's a price anchor they hope doesn't sell, so they can move the more expensive Nano.

They didn't have to give them anything as a thank you. The fact that they did something at all is praiseworthy.

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Even if that is the new iMacs they look WAY to thick. Gross.

Suspended
Sep 20, 2012
United Kingdom
Even sadder is the fact that Steve was so poor he couldn't give back to society.

Even his fellow pauper Bill Gates has given back some of his wealth, oops, I mean pennies.

Steve Jobs goes down in history as an exemplary example of a greedy man.

But hey... he concealed it well. Just like this canoe :)

Why should he give his money away? We all start with nothing, if you want someone to become rich and give millions to charity; do it yourself.

Have some respect for the dead.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Most Americans will likely hate the design.

Love it personally. Certainly an achievement, even for Starck. Yachts are typically gaudy displays of wealth, but he's managed make it look at peace in the water, magnificent yet subdued at the same time. Even homely.

Hope the Jobs family enjoy it in good health. I feel a pang of regret that Jobs couldn't have enjoyed today.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
They didn't have to give them anything as a thank you. The fact that they did something at all is praiseworthy.

I'm sure the workers would rather have had the money if they felt like being generous. This way they got a crappy/crippled music player AND got to act as stooges for a PR move.

I'm sure more than one said, "Byatch please" and tossed theirs away.

thefizzle657

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
That has got to be the ugliest yacht I've ever seen. If you are gonna spend money on an expensive boat at least get one that looks good.

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Why has no one mentioned the FLAT non-aerodynamic windshields??

Nearly flat walls of windows and glass in the FRONT of the yacht? Take a closer look.

This makes no practical sense for cruising. They should be more angled back - or tilted back. Looks like a brick ready for sailing against the wind with no aerodynamic awareness of the pressures wind will place on that glass and in creating massive resistance.

Also - a sliding door in the FRONT of the boat? Image opening those doors while under power at 15 - 20 knots. An enormous rush of wind blowing into that front room akin to a wind storm. Those doors should be in the back. Or, regular doors to the side. This is a Feedship isn't it?

Based on the design it seems VERY flawed for cruising. More of a square house boat design (to be docked) except for the very V shaped hull. Just Google "yachts" or "modern yachts" and you'll see what I mean in comparison to most other yachts that are rather sleek overall. The front windshield and glass should be way more curved and tilted if indeed they plan to actually use it for anything other than keeping it in port. The current design sees very flawed IF indeed this is their yacht (which doesn't match the sleek models we saw earlier by the way).

Also, per the Dutch site, did the Jobs family really give away Shuffles as a "thank you" for those who did all of the hard work and craftsmanship on this 200+ft yacht? Seems like an iPod Touch or iPad would be more warranted considering the staggering price tag and the many YEARS it took to build a yacht. Then again, we could be talking about 500+ workers.

The exterior design makes no realistic or practical sense to me. I would have envisioned something more sleek, revolutionary and, of course, magical. This seems blah and impractical in style. I just can't believe someone would design such a fat window design and slider doors in the front. Has this designer ever been on a boat under sail before????

Here is another Philippe Starck yacht. Notice the sleek styling (although very unique).

http://cdnimg.visualizeus.com/thumbs/c5/0b/design,philipe,starck,yacht-c50b71d99cf077a36c18628473e254ac_h.jpg

Last edited:

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
I'd really like to see shots of the inside. The thumbnails on the 9-5mac article show at least end of the metal plates opening. I bet there is all sorts of hidden functionality.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Hope it's got stabilisers - looks like it would roll like a pig.

Wouldn't want to try and deliver that one with the weather we've had this weekend in the channel. A real floating gin palace...

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I have been in some pretty rough seas and I can tell you there are real benefits to physical, analog, sensors and guages for basic functions. 99% of the time those computer displays are just fine, but it is when you are in a strong storm or hit something that you judge your facilities.

I expect this is a "fair weather" ship.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.