Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:43 PM   #1
anthrovisual
macrumors regular

Choosing what Apple devices to take on an expedition to Ecuador

(posted under digital photography too, but also pertains to video folks)

Hello,
I'm going on a yearlong expedition to Ecuador where I will be photographing and recording video in the Amazon jungle and Andes Mountains with my first interchangeable lens camera (haven't decided which, leaning towards the OMD-E5, A77, 60D, or GH3; that will be a different post). I currently have an old trusty Macbook Pro from late 2006, a painfully sluggish (but unlocked) iPhone 3G 16GB, and before knowing I was going on the expedition, an iPad 3rd Gen. 64GB Verizon (wish I waited on that one, but here I am).

I'm now considering whether this set up will work in Ecuador or if I should replace something while I still can. Particularly, I'm wondering if the iPad will be more useful to me there than say an unlocked iPhone 5? Or replace the iPad with a new Macbook Pro instead of upgrading when I get back (conditions there will be incredibly humid, so I felt more comfortable risking my old mac with the intention of replacing it when I get back, also my partner has a new Macbook Pro that I can use from time to time while there).

What would you do if you were in my position?

I appreciate any and all advice.

Andy
anthrovisual is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:19 PM   #2
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

To my best knowledge.....

The Verizon iPad was designed to work in Verizon LTE network (700 MHz), CDMA ED-VO and A-GPS. Not sure you can get support in Ecuador. So I am leaning to an unlocked iPhone (provided it is in the GSM version, guess it is the A1249 or A1248 model).If you have luck, maybe Ecuador have some LTE implementation that works in the iPhone. A friend of mine go in travel to Ecuador, two years ago and got mobile Internet for U$ 60 or so ( I dont remember if 4 or 6 GB of data). Good luck in your endeavour, have a safe travel back
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:06 AM   #3
CASLondon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrovisual View Post
(posted under digital photography too, but also pertains to video folks)

Hello,
I'm going on a yearlong expedition to Ecuador where I will be photographing and recording video in the Amazon jungle and Andes Mountains with my first interchangeable lens camera (haven't decided which, leaning towards the OMD-E5, A77, 60D, or GH3; that will be a different post). I currently have an old trusty Macbook Pro from late 2006, a painfully sluggish (but unlocked) iPhone 3G 16GB, and before knowing I was going on the expedition, an iPad 3rd Gen. 64GB Verizon (wish I waited on that one, but here I am).

I'm now considering whether this set up will work in Ecuador or if I should replace something while I still can. Particularly, I'm wondering if the iPad will be more useful to me there than say an unlocked iPhone 5? Or replace the iPad with a new Macbook Pro instead of upgrading when I get back (conditions there will be incredibly humid, so I felt more comfortable risking my old mac with the intention of replacing it when I get back, also my partner has a new Macbook Pro that I can use from time to time while there).

What would you do if you were in my position?

I appreciate any and all advice.

Andy

To me, the key question is what are you going to do for workflow with storage and back up. No point shooting for a year if any of it goes missing or corrupt.
CASLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video