Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I've seen for sale people selling applecare on forums and in CEX (a UK 2nd hand trade in/sell shop).

Obviously the prices are much cheaper than from Apple at £140 here in UK.

So is this ok to buy from them? Is not just a code to enter or something? How does it work? Eg CEX applecare for mac is on sale for £60.

Cheers

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If its just the code, there's a good chance its counterfeit and if that's the case you run the risk of having your apple care invalidated by apple. If there's any questions with your applecare apple will request the serial number that is on the box (not just the activation code) and if it doesn't match up they'll void your warranty.

Ask if the applecare box is included

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thanks for that, so there is potentially 2 codes required.

If I buy from CEX it's sort of guaranteed from them as they are a shop. So if I get the box from them, once I register Apple will tell me straight away if it's no good?

Seems a lot cheaper, and worth it for £60? Not sure how they are selling them for that. Does the code ever expire? Could they have some sitting on the shelf that are out of date?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
If you buy from CEX it will be the boxed product and guaranteed as genuine and they will give you a refund if there is a problem.

I would be confident buying from CEX but I'd be be very wary just buying a code off the internet.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks for that, so there is potentially 2 codes required.

If I buy from CEX it's sort of guaranteed from them as they are a shop. So if I get the box from them, once I register Apple will tell me straight away if it's no good?

Seems a lot cheaper, and worth it for £60? Not sure how they are selling them for that. Does the code ever expire? Could they have some sitting on the shelf that are out of date?

If I were you I would google for a review on CEX(uk.webuy.com) first and decide yourself if they are legit, they probably are but I read one review where it is mentioned their service is located in India and the service is not really that good.

Dween

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
London, UK
If it's properly boxed the CEX are fine.

I bought my last iMac from them.

Only bad thing about them is they don't do refunds, only exchanges or credit. Might be different if the product simply doesn't work. Check with them first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.