Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Someone in another thread mentioned this. But I think you MacBook Air owners will be really interested in this awesome contraption! A simple way to add permanent storage to your MacBook Air.

Introducing Nifty!

third_image.jpg

second_image.jpg

http://theniftyminidrive.com

I'll be buying one for sure. Any card up to 60mb/s will work (i.e. sandisk ultra 64Gb)

Come on 128gb micro sd

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah no doubt it cost 5 cents to make however I think it's an brilliant little solution and it's chump change to support an awesome Kickstarter project.

Definitely! I've been looking into buying a SD card for extra memory, and this really offers great integration. The SD micro cards (as Sandisks) feels quite expensive! And 35$ added to the price of a card ends up being a pricey option.. But a nice one that is!

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
it's perfect for some downloads and stuff that just sits on the SSD and doesn't get used that much. perfect!

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Ah this is nice! I never seen this before. My question is does any of you know how to remove it? Does it come with some kind of paper-clip like metal tangs that can precisely clip onto it and pull it clean out?

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Ah this is nice! I never seen this before. My question is does any of you know how to remove it? Does it come with some kind of paper-clip like metal tangs that can precisely clip onto it and pull it clean out?

If you read closely the mention a twizzer needed for removal (included)

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
An extremely elegant solution, and $100 for removable, expandable storage is a very good deal IMO. Would be ideal for keeping an Aperture or Lightroom Library on with settings if you used more than one machine.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Ahhh. Thanks for clearing that up!

It's really a nice invention, but the cost is over the top for me.

Just gonna use Dropbox instead
Don't be confused. Dropbox still takes up space on your SSD (and doesn't add space for that matter). But yes, you can selectively sync folders/files and exclude them (and thus only have them in the cloud), but that'd mean you'd always require an internet connection for access.

Don't get me wrong, I would tattoo Dropbox across my forehead if I could, but it's not exactly comparable to having an extra 64GB always accessible.

//I have ~25GB of Dropbox, which I placed inside my 50GB of Box storage... double syncing! :p

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Don't be confused. Dropbox still takes up space on your SSD (and doesn't add space for that matter). But yes, you can selectively sync folders/files and exclude them (and thus only have them in the cloud), but that'd mean you'd always require an internet connection for access.

Don't get me wrong, I would tattoo Dropbox across my forehead if I could, but it's not exactly comparable to having an extra 64GB always accessible.

//I have ~25GB of Dropbox, which I placed inside my 50GB of Box storage... double syncing! :p

Oh, yeah of course. But I think it's ridiculous that the adapter costs 35$, when a micro sd card costs about the same..

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
So this thing was funded by donations and they're charging a 35,000% markup (assuming it costs about $.10 to make)? Even though all of their R&D and prototyping costs were paid for? Not to mention that $35 is more than an entire SD card most of the time. It is a Nifty device, but I think they can shove it.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
So this thing was funded by donations and they're charging a 35,000% markup (assuming it costs about $.10 to make)? Even though all of their R&D and prototyping costs were paid for? Not to mention that $35 is more than an entire SD card most of the time. It is a Nifty device, but I think they can shove it.

Indeed. Problem is, they are the only ones making such a solution.. Unless a normal SD card won't bother..

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007

Not really by donations - the people who funded it get one (or more) depending on how much they gave.

The raw materials are the least important part of bringing a product to market.

Apple sells cables and adaptors (in far greater volume) for similar prices. I don't see a problem with the amount they're charging for a unique product with more limited appeal.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
Not really by donations - the people who funded it get one (or more) depending on how much they gave.

The raw materials are the least important part of bringing a product to market.

Apple sells cables and adaptors (in far greater volume) for similar prices. I don't see a problem with the amount they're charging for a unique product with more limited appeal.

Excellent point. Let's be fair for every player in the game. These guys had the initiative to do this and pulled it off. Should Apple or another company had made this, they would sell it at the same outrageous price until competitors came along. Let's support the new players instead of keeping rich the usual suspects.

Go to an Apple Store to see any iPhone/iPad Cable or similar simple accessory selling from $19 - $49 for what cost them $1 or less at their mass production partners in China. I don't see anyone complaining about that.

These guys are charging a Premium because they can..... just like Apple. Until someone else comes along and makes a similar product. You can buy it at that price if you see the value in it or you can chose not buy it... Decisions we make with all purchases in general.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I've got to say that this is an awesome idea - brilliantly simple. The lack of the SD card reader is pretty much the only regret that I have with ordering the 11"

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.