Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Looking at possibly picking up a new 2013 Jetta SEL w/nav for a daily driver. The SEL is a loaded car, with navigation, Fender stereo, soft touch dash, intelligent access with push button ignition, sunroof, heated seats, power seats, sport seats, ipod hookup, fog lights, etc. A pretty nice package overall for the price, and the inside doesn't have the cheapness that the lower models have, for which the Jetta took a lot of criticism when they were redesigned in 2011 (the lower models I sat in did feel cheap but the SEL seems to take care of that). They are also doing 0.9% on them this month. I'd be looking at an automatic, which is a tried and true traditional 6 speed automatic (as opposed to a dual clutch) with tiptronic and sport mode which is fine with me. Engine is the bulletproof 2.5L inline 5 that VW has had for years and is cheap to maintain as well.

Anyone have any comments/experience with these cars? Given how many they sell (albeit mostly SEs and base models and not SELs), I figure there has to be a few people around here who can comment.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I have a 2013 passat SE with sunroof and love it. Honestly I'd recommend going down to the high end SE model because the nav screen is actually smaller than the other screen (unless you really want nav in your dash. I've only had my car for a month but scheduled maintenance is great and the lease price was too good to resist.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I have a 2013 passat SE with sunroof and love it. Honestly I'd recommend going down to the high end SE model because the nav screen is actually smaller than the other screen (unless you really want nav in your dash. I've only had my car for a month but scheduled maintenance is great and the lease price was too good to resist.

If I go down to the SE w/sunroof and convenience, I lose a lot of features:

--Nav
--Fender Stereo
--Power Seats
--Sport seats
--Push button ignition and keyless access
--Fog lights
--etc.

Definitely sticking with the SEL w/nav. They have an SEL w/o nav, but you don't get the Fender, which I really want.

My wife's '12 Beetle has the big non-nav screen, it is nice.

It's funny you mention the Passat SE, I am looking at those too, but while I love the interior (with the aluminum trim), I find the front end a bit plain. I still like it though, but dollar for dollar feature-wise I get more with the Jetta SEL. I was looking at the Passat SE with sunroof, but then realized you have to get pushed into the sunroof w/nav to get the iPod cable, and then it starts to pull away from the Jetta pricewise. Also not sure I like the 2.5 in the Passat, seemed a bit underpowered on the freeway when I test drove it a couple weeks back. Still a nice car though, great for road trips.

I can spend a decent bit more, but I want to keep my priorities straight as I look to the next few years, so I don't want to spend the max possible. The Jetta loaded for under 25k is great, I couldn't sacrifice the push button start and keyless access now that my wife's Beetle has it.

----------

Are you an attractive female? If so, you should definitely buy a Jetta.

No, I'm a heterosexual male who's secure with myself and don't care what insecure internet pissants think about what I drive.:rolleyes:

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I can't argue with that. It's a great car. If you end up with it I doubt you'll have any regrets.

Thanks, I hope so...the wife and I are going to go tomorrow night I think to take both a Jetta and a Passat for back to back drives, hopefully for extended drives to really get a feel for each car.

Thing I like about the Jetta SEL is I see thousands of SEs, but virtually zero SELs...in the row at the dealer next to all the others, the SEL definitely stands out as a little nicer package, looks a little more upmarket with the fogs and fancier wheels.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Thanks, I hope so...the wife and I are going to go tomorrow night I think to take both a Jetta and a Passat for back to back drives, hopefully for extended drives to really get a feel for each car.

Thing I like about the Jetta SEL is I see thousands of SEs, but virtually zero SELs...in the row at the dealer next to all the others, the SEL definitely stands out as a little nicer package, looks a little more upmarket with the fogs and fancier wheels.

I like all the extra features that the SEL comes with but didn't want to downsize my screen just for Nav, considering the extra cost and the fact that I have an iPhone and garmins are so cheap. I did have to give up the iPod cable but I convinced the dealer to buy me a 64GB sd card to plug in the radio. As soon as I have that I can stop using bluetooth for music and I'll be a happy camper.

Also, the hot girls in jetta's thing was a part of the show "The League" and I don't think it was meant as a personal attack. It was pretty funny.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Completely Off topic

I think the current Jetta designers should be ashamed of its looks. The early Jettas had great edgy designs, now its just like every other car out there.

Also shout out the our Jesus Christ for joining the forums! Posting from the after life?

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
godisnotpleased.gif

Also shout out to our Jesus Christ for joining the forums!

"Get back to your homework." - Dad

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
... I couldn't sacrifice the push button start and keyless access now that my wife's Beetle has it.

Really? How much more are you paying for that? A nice feature for sure, but is it worth it? Sounds to me like priorities are really to just get the best looking car. I don't think push button start really offers any performance benefits, but I could be wrong.

Did you move out of your apartment yet? I'd be weary to buy another new car living in a place where there was a shooting.

And, another shout out to the great JC for joining! :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I think the current Jetta designers should be ashamed of its looks. The early Jettas had great edgy designs, now its just like every other car out there.

I don't think I'd ever describe Jetta's as being edgy, they're just a Golf saloon. And the Golf is about as conservative as they come.

That's not necessarily a bad thing thing, I rather like the handsome and unfussy styling of the current model, particularly in GLi spec (which has a very similar bumper treatment to the Golf GTD here in the UK) one of the advantages of good, clean, understated design that avoids the trends of the moment is that it doesn't date anywhere near as fast.

Bland criticisms aside... it's still a fine looking car.

2012_Volkswagen_Jetta_GLI_01.jpg

Last edited:

ZivaD

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Yes, because your comprehension is too basic to not acknowledge the difference between asking for experiences relating to the vehicle and looking for opinions on whether or not it's a vehicle for homosexuals.:rolleyes:

If you or anyone else has nothing to contribute to the thread and cannot contribute direct experience with the vehicle in question, you can show yourself the door. What is wrong with this place sometimes? It's like the average American has the most ********* reading comprehension. The smart-ass replies that contribute nothing get old sometimes.

Piss off, n00b.

I don't see where I made mention of homosexuals, you need to calm down, thanks for the welcome.
go outside a bit, you might like it.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Really? How much more are you paying for that? A nice feature for sure, but is it worth it? Sounds to me like priorities are really to just get the best looking car. I don't think push button start really offers any performance benefits, but I could be wrong.

It's not so much just that feature, though it is really nice and tough to give up once you have it, but it's all the other features that come in the SEL package that together as a whole make for a really nice car at a pretty nice, affordable price point.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
A friend of mine has a diesel jetta. They feel all grown up compared to the small cars they used to be. I really liked it, and his fuel economy is great. The ride is quiet and smooth, and the interior feels nice.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011

It's a convenience feature not performance. It's truly is a wonderful thing too! I love not having to fish keys out of my pocket to get into or start my car..... wife really loves it. Since buying a vehicle with a smart key setup she has had 0 incidents of locking keys in the car, or leaving them behind. Plus she has the added bonus of not having to fish the keys out of her bottomless Mary Poppins purse!

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
The last gen has been all cheapened up compared to previous gen. These used to have a decent interior going for them, now it's average at best.

If talking to other VW owners is any indication, your car should fall apart before 100K miles. They were crap then and they're crap now. Also, any turbo Subaru will wipe the floor with your Panzerwagen on any race track, street light race or any other competition. Hope that sums it up well for ya.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
If talking to other VW owners is any indication, your car should fall apart before 100K miles.

Don't care, not keeping it to anywhere near that many miles before I trade it in. I'm already a VW owner and have had zero issues so far with the current car, and the service from the dealership has been excellent.

Synchromesh said:
Also, any turbo Subaru will wipe the floor with your Panzerwagen on any race track, street light race or any other competition. Hope that sums it up well for ya.

Do you think someone looking at a Jetta SEL cares? Really? :rolleyes:

I'm sure your big bad boy racer turbo 4 banger beats up on Priuses too, go show them and be proud of your accomplishments!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The last gen has been all cheapened up compared to previous gen. These used to have a decent interior going for them, now it's average at best.

If talking to other VW owners is any indication, your car should fall apart before 100K miles. They were crap then and they're crap now. Also, any turbo Subaru will wipe the floor with your Panzerwagen on any race track, street light race or any other competition. Hope that sums it up well for ya.

Reading your past automotive related posts here, I don't think anyone should take you seriously for car advice.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
If I recall, and I may be wrong, doesn't the SEL also get the soft touch dash and some of the niceties of the GLI as well?

You may also look into a "demo" GLI. I imagine price wise it may be similar, if it is CPO you would get a longer warranty, and it may be about the same price. :)

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
If I recall, and I may be wrong, doesn't the SEL also get the soft touch dash and some of the niceties of the GLI as well?

Correct.

You may also look into a "demo" GLI. I imagine price wise it may be similar, if it is CPO you would get a longer warranty, and it may be about the same price. :)

I don't know, I actually quite like the SEL; to get the equivalent features in the GLI I'd have to go to the top of the line Autobahn w/nav, which is over $30k. My guess is they wouldn't give me much of a break on a demo anyway, plus I'd worry about it being ragged hard. Also more expensive on insurance. Still can't get used to the red stitching everywhere either, kind of grown out of that kind of stuff for a daily driver.

I think the SEL will be a good fit. Drove really nice and was pretty comfortable and made for a really nice overall package.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.