Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:47 AM   #51
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoMac View Post
I find iOS stale and boring after using it for 4 years. I think it's the better smartphone OS, but given the abilities of a Nexus tablet in terms of what you are "allowed" to do, a 10" Nexus tablet is much more capable to replace my business laptop.

I am sure the mini like all Apple products is well built and not "cheap" feeling, but I have been frustrated at the "workarounds" I do to use my iPad (inclusive of jailbreaking).
Can you give me examples of things that you are talking about? I'm honestly curious, because as far as I can tell most, if not all the things my buddies can do on their android tablet, I can also do.
__________________
New convert, and never turning back!!!
Navdakilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:48 AM   #52
steve119
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scotland, land of the haggis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
Never underestimate the number of idiots in the world willing to part with almost double the cash for a technically inferior product, simply because it has a picture of a fruit on it.
Please don't call my girlfriend an idiot!!
steve119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:51 AM   #53
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne182 View Post
How many is "Selling out"?


Just curious what the numbers are. Apple could have 10 iPad mini tablets and sell them out.

I just like numbers when it comes to sales so am curious to see them.
Looks like the max capacity for Sept and Oct production is about 1.5m unit according to this article. The question boil down to supply question...


http://www.ztechnews.com/screen-prod...before-listed/

According to Cnet reports, the market research firm NPD Display Search said, if iPad mini sales is good, then it will have stockout situation. The main reasons for this problem is that the iPad mini touch screen panel is supplied by LG and AUO (AU Optronics). Because the latter is a new supplier, the yield and the volume is not sufficient to meet Appleís needs. So basically iPad mini touch screen panel suppliers is only LG.

According to Richard Shim, market analyst of NPD Display Search, the touch screen production AU Optronics made for the iPad mini yield has been low, and it provides only about 100,000 units iPad mini screen. According to the original plan, the AU Optronics must provide 400,000 units touch screens in October, 800,000 in November and a million in December.

Comparatively speaking, LG in September provided Apple with a 300,000 units screen, and planned to provide one million in October and 3 million in December. Therefore, once AUOís production canít increase while the iPad mini is popular, then the stockout situation is natually inevitable.

In the past Apple often usd two or more parts manufacturers in order to ensure product supply, for example, the New iPad is supplied by Samsung and LG. This time the Apple iPad mini no longer uses Samsung touch screen, but changed to AU Optronics, which seems to reflect a determination to break with the Samsung.

It is worth noting that the vendors against each other will affect sales channels, if the iPad mini will be really hot, then the long-term shortage problem will continue, while the direct consequence is market price rising, ultimately the large number of consumers will suffer losses.

The market analysts views on the iPad mini are mixed, critics think itís overpriced and the competitors also have excellent product contest. While the approvers think the launch of the iPad mini will expand the Apple user community, and thus bring more profits.

According to Apple arrangements, iPad mini will be on sale on November 2, and itís priced at $329
xofruitcake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:52 AM   #54
nwcs
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Hmm, I seem to remember early 2010 when every geeky tech person and media outlet seemed to say, "who is going to buy a giant iPod?" and then normal people bought them in droves. Then the world changed and iPads are sweeping the industry.

Now late 2012 and the iPad mini is out and so many people say, "who is going to buy a miniature iPad?" and then normal people seem to be buying them in droves.

Perhaps geeky tech people and the media are not reliable sources of information for where the industry is going and have no idea of what the masses really like and what will really sell?
__________________
This space intentionally not blank
nwcs is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:53 AM   #55
frayne182
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by xofruitcake View Post
Looks like the max capacity for Sept and Oct production is about 1.5m unit according to this article. The question boil down to supply question...


http://www.ztechnews.com/screen-prod...before-listed/

According to Cnet reports, the market research firm NPD Display Search said, if iPad mini sales is good, then it will have stockout situation. The main reasons for this problem is that the iPad mini touch screen panel is supplied by LG and AUO (AU Optronics). Because the latter is a new supplier, the yield and the volume is not sufficient to meet Appleís needs. So basically iPad mini touch screen panel suppliers is only LG.

According to Richard Shim, market analyst of NPD Display Search, the touch screen production AU Optronics made for the iPad mini yield has been low, and it provides only about 100,000 units iPad mini screen. According to the original plan, the AU Optronics must provide 400,000 units touch screens in October, 800,000 in November and a million in December.

Comparatively speaking, LG in September provided Apple with a 300,000 units screen, and planned to provide one million in October and 3 million in December. Therefore, once AUOís production canít increase while the iPad mini is popular, then the stockout situation is natually inevitable.

In the past Apple often usd two or more parts manufacturers in order to ensure product supply, for example, the New iPad is supplied by Samsung and LG. This time the Apple iPad mini no longer uses Samsung touch screen, but changed to AU Optronics, which seems to reflect a determination to break with the Samsung.

It is worth noting that the vendors against each other will affect sales channels, if the iPad mini will be really hot, then the long-term shortage problem will continue, while the direct consequence is market price rising, ultimately the large number of consumers will suffer losses.

The market analysts views on the iPad mini are mixed, critics think itís overpriced and the competitors also have excellent product contest. While the approvers think the launch of the iPad mini will expand the Apple user community, and thus bring more profits.

According to Apple arrangements, iPad mini will be on sale on November 2, and itís priced at $329
Good read. Thanks bro.
__________________
Custom Gaming PC ; Google Nexus 7 ; iPhone4 ; iPhone5
frayne182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:57 AM   #56
TXCherokee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
imore.com fixed the copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKG View Post
Even Amazon.com's homepage is dissing the ipad mini.
http://www.imore.com/copy-editing-am...s-ipad-mini-ad
TXCherokee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:02 AM   #57
^^BIGMac
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Launch Day iPad Mini Pre-Order Stock
Another Apple mistake.
^^BIGMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:03 AM   #58
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navdakilla View Post
Can you give me examples of things that you are talking about? I'm honestly curious, because as far as I can tell most, if not all the things my buddies can do on their android tablet, I can also do.
Here are a few things of the top of my head:
Mount an external drive to copy a file to the tablet. Yes I do workarounds like dropbox, but it's no where as convenient nor useful when I have no internet access or dealing with very large files. Have applications that can interact with each other directly or write to the tablet and then share that information. Running "not allowed" applications, like a bittorent client, different web browsers, or alternative email clients.

Basically, make the tablet more of a computer than an internet access device (which the iPad is fantastic).
__________________
Is your AT&T carrier reliability improved with the 4s on AT&T? Please respond here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1258982
WannaGoMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:06 AM   #59
AdonisSMU
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuba View Post
Since they're guaranteed to sell XX million of every iGadget they release, how about they ****** stock up on the damn things ahead of launch to meet the very much expected demand? This is just a charade... like clubs that keep people standing in a huge line outside as a human billboard, even though the place is nowhere near full.
We should hear the sales numbers first before we make this claim. If we are basing this on past history then .... your claim is more likely to be false then true.
AdonisSMU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:10 AM   #60
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcs View Post
Perhaps geeky tech people and the media are not reliable sources of information for where the industry is going and have no idea of what the masses really like and what will really sell?
Oh absolutely. Here's Macrumors' reaction to the introduction of the very first iPod.

It's almost eerie how how similar they read to the recent sentiments expressed here. You can copy&paste these into a recent iPhone/iPad/iPad mini threads and they won't look out of place.These are quotes just from the first page of that thread, all from 11 years ago.

Quote:
iPoop... iCry. I was so hoping for something more.
Quote:
NO!
Great just what the world needs, another freaking MP3 player. Go Steve! Where's the Newton?!
Quote:
Sounds very revolutionary to me.

hey - heres an idea Apple - rather than enter the world of gimmicks and toys, why dont you spend a little more time sorting out your pathetically expensive and crap server line up?
or are you really aiming to become a glorified consumer gimmicks firm?
Quote:
This isn't revoltionary!
I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!
Quote:
what a load of tripe!
gee! an mp3 player with a HD! how original! kinda reminds me of a JUKEBOX i once knew..
Quote:
$399.00 - Ouch!!!
OH NO! Just checked Apple Store - they want $399.00 for this thing...Ouch!!!
Quote:
iCan't believe it!
It's now at the online Apple Store!

$400 for an Mp3 Player!

I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional.

Uuhh Steve, can I have a PDA now?
Quote:
No ****** Way
All that hype for an MP3 player? Break-thru digital device? The Reality Distiortion Field™ is starting to warp Steve's mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off.
Quote:
I really wanted to like it. Really. But do the math:

20GB hard drive: $199 from APS tech.

MP3 player: $50 from Best Buy.

You save $150 plus get an extra 15 Gig of storage!
fertilized-egg is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:13 AM   #61
Anuba
macrumors 68040
 
Anuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespark View Post
What a stupid comment. Those people may simply have different needs than yours.
Impossible! The ONLY need anyone can possibly have, is max performance, max specs. Anyone who pays $31,200 for a BMW 128i Coupť w/ 230 bhp is an IDIOT who knows NOTHING about CARS. It is sooo INFERIOR to the Hyundai Genesis 3.8L with 348 bhp for $3000 LESS.

Yeah... no.

An informed buyer looks at the big picture. Build quality, aesthetics, form factor, resale value, tech support ratings, software availability, accessory range, ecosystem integration, specs, and yes -- brand image, not because of bragging rights (that's for insecure teens to agonize over) but because it's directly linked to the resale value.

Someone who doesn't see beyond tech specs and retail price -- now there's the real idiot.
Anuba is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:14 AM   #62
chrisbru
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertilized-egg View Post
Oh absolutely. Here's Macrumors' reaction to the introduction of the very first iPod.

It's almost eerie how how similar they read to the recent sentiments expressed here. You can copy&paste these into a recent iPhone/iPad/iPad mini threads and they won't look out of place.These are quotes just from the first page of that thread, all from 11 years ago.
This is absolutely hilarious, thanks for posting this
chrisbru is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:14 AM   #63
Macclone
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne182 View Post
except the nexus is available in canada, america, uk, australia, france, germany, spain ,etc.


I'm not trying to bash, but it sells in quite a bit of places. Just stating facts.


I'm not here to bash the ipad mini at all. I think if you get the nexus or ipad its a win/win. I'm not a fan of all android tablets, but the nexus is a great device.

The only thing i find funny is the ipad mini is made out of ipad 2 parts and run siri.... But the ipad 2 can't.
fify.
Macclone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:15 AM   #64
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
Never underestimate the number of idiots in the world willing to part with almost double the cash for a technically inferior product, simply because it has a picture of a fruit on it.
Whereby "technically inferior" you mean the same or better in every way except for screen resolution/density. And "almost double" you mean around 30% more.
BaldiMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:16 AM   #65
8a22a
macrumors 6502a
 
8a22a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne182 View Post
How many is "Selling out"?


Just curious what the numbers are. Apple could have 10 iPad mini tablets and sell them out.

I just like numbers when it comes to sales so am curious to see them.
10 million.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad mini 16GB TV 3
8a22a is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:16 AM   #66
chrisbru
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoMac View Post
Here are a few things of the top of my head:
Mount an external drive to copy a file to the tablet. Yes I do workarounds like dropbox, but it's no where as convenient nor useful when I have no internet access or dealing with very large files. Have applications that can interact with each other directly or write to the tablet and then share that information. Running "not allowed" applications, like a bittorent client, different web browsers, or alternative email clients.

Basically, make the tablet more of a computer than an internet access device (which the iPad is fantastic).
If those are the things you want to do with it, I agree that it is limited. However, I think the iPad is more a consumption device with some on-the-fly creation/editing abilities to make it more useful when you are away from your computer. Such as syncing a powerpoint to it, and then being able to throw in an extra slide last minute before using it for a presentation.

Due to the nature of torrents, I'm not surprised that Apple doesn't want to allow an app for that.

Apps that communicate, ability to write to tablet memory to share a file, and access to removable media would be pretty nice... But the third one I think is getting less and less prevalent.

Alternate web browsers and email clients though? They already have those.
chrisbru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:17 AM   #67
wrkactjob
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
"It's not gonna happen."
wrkactjob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:23 AM   #68
CmdrLaForge
macrumors 68020
 
CmdrLaForge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: around the world
Send a message via AIM to CmdrLaForge Send a message via Skype™ to CmdrLaForge
My white 32 gig is on order. My main concern is the display. Lets hope for the best. If I am not pleased I will send it back immediately.
__________________
rMacbook Pro 13" / Cinema Display 23" / iPad Air 128GB / iPhone5 white 16GB
CmdrLaForge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:24 AM   #69
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
The mini's look so nice. I'd love to have one. Would probably get one if I wasn't so "under the thumb"
__________________
If youíre busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:25 AM   #70
Anuba
macrumors 68040
 
Anuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
We should hear the sales numbers first before we make this claim. If we are basing this on past history then .... your claim is more likely to be false then true.
No, we should speculate, theorize and make wild and arbitrary claims before the facts and numbers are in. Why? Because it's fun.
Anuba is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:31 AM   #71
BvizioN
macrumors 65816
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne182 View Post
How many is "Selling out"?


Just curious what the numbers are. Apple could have 10 iPad mini tablets and sell them out.

I just like numbers when it comes to sales so am curious to see them.
Apple does not rcognise any number < then million
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:38 AM   #72
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbru View Post
If those are the things you want to do with it, I agree that it is limited. However, I think the iPad is more a consumption device with some on-the-fly creation/editing abilities to make it more useful when you are away from your computer. Such as syncing a powerpoint to it, and then being able to throw in an extra slide last minute before using it for a presentation.

Due to the nature of torrents, I'm not surprised that Apple doesn't want to allow an app for that.

Apps that communicate, ability to write to tablet memory to share a file, and access to removable media would be pretty nice... But the third one I think is getting less and less prevalent.

Alternate web browsers and email clients though? They already have those.
Consumption Device:
As Apple sees the tablet, it's a consumption device. However, with a bit of flexibility, the tablet form can actually be a decent creation device. For anyone wanting to just browse and email nothing is better than an iPad, but if you want to try and use it for a bit more serious content creation, a tablet with "classic computer" capabilities is better.

Web Browsers & Email Clients:
The alternative web browsers in iOS are just skins to the Apple web browser but worse. Apple cripples these skin browsers as they don't let them use the latest Safari javascript engine so they are a LOT slower than Safari. So they are not really alternatives, they are crippled skins. Here's one test just with Chrome vs Safari http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/th...chrome-for-ios. As for email clients, again all the iOS ones seem crippled for some reason compared to the native Mail app (weird push workaround, lacking various email type support etc). Not sure why, though admittedly I haven't looked much as I am happy with Mail app.

Summary:
Unless you leave an ecosystem, you don't know what you're missing in the other ecosystem.

My friend who has every iphone and couple iPads, got a Nexus 7 for fun. He showed me what it could do (and why he became a fan), and I realized how much I do to work around the iOS ipad limitations. The examples I list above aren't a full list, but the difference to me is basically a computer vs a content display device.

Now, the same goes for Android, unless you leave android you don't realize how unpolished is Android. So on one side you have Android flexibility, the other side you have iOS polish. Where Microsoft fits in this is unclear, it seems like the worst of both ecosystems (haha)

Anyway, it's great to have a choice.
__________________
Is your AT&T carrier reliability improved with the 4s on AT&T? Please respond here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1258982

Last edited by WannaGoMac; Oct 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
WannaGoMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:40 AM   #73
adnbek
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
Never underestimate the number of idiots in the world willing to part with almost double the cash for a technically inferior product, simply because it has a picture of a fruit on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenbf View Post
Never underestimate the number of idiots who have time to come to an Apple related forum to trash Apple products.
To Allenbf: With a signature like yours, I'm not sure if you're trying to rebut what Snowshiro said or to prove his point instead?
adnbek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:47 AM   #74
xxgilxx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueParadox View Post
If time is money, and you claim that those who buy iPad minis are idiots, yet you spend your time coming to an Apple rumors site name calling and picking fights - then I'm curious: how do you define an idiot?
I'm not picking fights nor I'm name calling. My reply is based on somebody else's general assumption that all iPad mini buyers are idiots. Yet if you think about it there are plenty of people that think that upgrading your gadgets every cycle cause of spec bumps or staying cool, and regardless of time and money, can and will be seen as idiotic Just stating a fact...relax!

Last edited by xxgilxx; Oct 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Typo
xxgilxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:48 AM   #75
Rogifan
macrumors 604
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertilized-egg View Post
Oh absolutely. Here's Macrumors' reaction to the introduction of the very first iPod.

It's almost eerie how how similar they read to the recent sentiments expressed here. You can copy&paste these into a recent iPhone/iPad/iPad mini threads and they won't look out of place.These are quotes just from the first page of that thread, all from 11 years ago.
Check out the thread from the unibody MacBook Pro's. Makes some of today's griping tame in comparison.
__________________
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC