Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's retail store unit has been generating some news over the past few days, so we've put together a roundup of some of the more significant items to summarize the latest developments.

- Apple opened its new Palo Alto store on Saturday. The new store replaces the company's previous downtown Palo Alto store that had typically been considered the company's "home store" and was occasionally visited by executives for major product launches. That store, opened in October 2001, was one of the first in Apple's retail chain.

palo_alto_store_new.jpg

Apple's new Palo Alto retail store

Apple CEO Tim Cook was on hand for the opening of the new store, which is roughly 50% larger than the original one and is one of the first of a new prototype design based on the Upper West Side store in Manhattan. Houston's Highland Village store opened earlier this year with a similar design, while the company is also using the concept for a replacement store in Santa Monica, California.

- As the massive Hurricane Sandy approaches the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast coast of the United States, Apple retail stores are making their own preparations. Business Insider shared several photos from CNN producer Jonathan Wald showing Apple's subterranean Fifth Avenue store in Manhattan with sandbags piled in front and display products wrapped in plastic.

14th_street_store_sandbags.jpg

Sandbags and taped windows at 14th Street store in Manhattan (Thanks, Ethan!)

ifoAppleStore notes that at least 35 Apple retail stores are located within the landfall prediction zone, and with many areas shutting down in advance of the storm it seems that Apple will be temporarily closing at least some locations from this group.

- Finally, in line with Apple retail chief John Browett's announcement at the opening of the latest Beijing retail store earlier this month, Apple will be opening its new Holiday Plaza store in Shenzhen, China on Saturday.

shenzhen_holiday_plaza_store_barrier.jpg

Construction barrier at Holiday Plaza store in Shenzhen (Source: M.I.C. gadget)

The location is notable as Shenzhen is the hub for much of Apple supply chain for its products, with Foxconn having massive facilities in the city dedicated to assembly of iOS devices. The city is also a hub for the counterfeiting industry and is the main point of entry for scalped products coming across the border from Hong Kong.

Article Link: Apple Retail Roundup: Palo Alto Store, Hurricane Sandy Preparations, Shenzhen Store

Last edited:

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
I hope the flagship store won't get damaged, I love to visit dat one.
And take care anyone else who gets influenced by sandy, like me :-/ at least school off, hehe

ascylto

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2009
Browett's gone

ifoAppleStore has also pointed out that the company has taken precautionary measures to protect its inventory ...

So, Apple have got rid of Browett!

TheJae

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2008
HKG
OMG thank you so much Apple!! I stopped going to Apple Stores because the crowds are so uncivilized.

pinchez

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2006
Not too concerned about Apple stores and products! But good look to everyone who's affected :)

kps

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
kw.on.ca
Now that would be appropriate architecture for Apple stores: made out of aluminum and glass, and then wrapped in rubber and and plastic film to keep them from getting scratched and broken.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
The photo of the Palo Alto store is beautiful.

I remember when there were no Apple stores, and Apple products were relegated to the backshelves in electronics stores.

Microsoft/Windows fanboys would deride us Apple computer owners.

Nowadays Apple stores are so busy you can hardly move around in one while shopping.

He who laughs last, laughs best.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
The photo of the Palo Alto store is beautiful.

I remember when there were no Apple stores, and Apple products were relegated to the backshelves in electronics stores.

Microsoft/Windows fanboys would deride us Apple computer owners.

Nowadays Apple stores are so busy you can hardly move around in one while shopping.

He who laughs last, laughs best.

are you fishing for a response? What does Microsoft/Windows have to do with this article? Lets see how you spin this to relevance...

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Tape on the windows is supposed to keep shattered glass from flying everywhere. I doubt the Geniuses know the purpose of it otherwise they'd realize 2 thin strips of tape on huge panes of glass isn't going to do much if it gets shattered.

floydts

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Florida
Why no store in Rio Grande Valley, South Texas? Harlingen

The RGV at the south tip of Texas includes McAllen, Harlingen and Brownsville. Over a million population, and if you include the Mexican side - maybe over 2 million. And no Apple store.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
"Sandbags and taped windows at 14th Street store in Manhattan (Thanks, Ethan!)"
lol! I wish giving photo credit was as easy as this in all my journalism classes! :D

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
You can tell they've never been through a hurricane. Hope everyone stays safe.

----------

The sandbags I get, but what help does a bit of tape on the windows provide?

Helps keep the pieces of glass together if/when it breaks, instead of having shattered glass fly everywhere.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Helps keep the pieces of glass together if/when it breaks, instead of having shattered glass fly everywhere.

If they had any sense the glass would already have a plastic coating - pretty much every retail shop (at least in the UK) or office with large windows has a completely unnoticeable clear plastic coating, so that if the glass shatters, it stays in one piece. It also makes it a lot harder to do a quick snatch and grab.

gweedo

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
TX
You can tell they've never been through a hurricane. Hope everyone stays safe.
----------

A fallacy. It does not. See the following note from the Federal Alliance for Safe Homes. A basic google search will uncover MANY other articles pointing out why taping your windows does nothing (except really make a mess of your windows).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.