Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:49 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Retail Roundup: Palo Alto Store, Hurricane Sandy Preparations, Shenzhen Store

Apple's retail store unit has been generating some news over the past few days, so we've put together a roundup of some of the more significant items to summarize the latest developments.

- Apple opened its new Palo Alto store on Saturday. The new store replaces the company's previous downtown Palo Alto store that had typically been considered the company's "home store" and was occasionally visited by executives for major product launches. That store, opened in October 2001, was one of the first in Apple's retail chain.

Apple's new Palo Alto retail store
Apple CEO Tim Cook was on hand for the opening of the new store, which is roughly 50% larger than the original one and is one of the first of a new prototype design based on the Upper West Side store in Manhattan. Houston's Highland Village store opened earlier this year with a similar design, while the company is also using the concept for a replacement store in Santa Monica, California.

- As the massive Hurricane Sandy approaches the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast coast of the United States, Apple retail stores are making their own preparations. Business Insider shared several photos from CNN producer Jonathan Wald showing Apple's subterranean Fifth Avenue store in Manhattan with sandbags piled in front and display products wrapped in plastic.

Sandbags and taped windows at 14th Street store in Manhattan (Thanks, Ethan!)
ifoAppleStore notes that at least 35 Apple retail stores are located within the landfall prediction zone, and with many areas shutting down in advance of the storm it seems that Apple will be temporarily closing at least some locations from this group.

- Finally, in line with Apple retail chief John Browett's announcement at the opening of the latest Beijing retail store earlier this month, Apple will be opening its new Holiday Plaza store in Shenzhen, China on Saturday.

Construction barrier at Holiday Plaza store in Shenzhen (Source: M.I.C. gadget)
The location is notable as Shenzhen is the hub for much of Apple supply chain for its products, with Foxconn having massive facilities in the city dedicated to assembly of iOS devices. The city is also a hub for the counterfeiting industry and is the main point of entry for scalped products coming across the border from Hong Kong.

Article Link: Apple Retail Roundup: Palo Alto Store, Hurricane Sandy Preparations, Shenzhen Store
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:52 AM   #2
skeltor57
macrumors newbie

Omg I hope apple is okay, I love apple products so much they better not get hurt!!!!
skeltor57 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:56 AM   #3
iPusch
macrumors 6502

I hope the flagship store won't get damaged, I love to visit dat one.
And take care anyone else who gets influenced by sandy, like me :-/ at least school off, hehe
iPusch is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:57 AM   #4
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Yeah, wrapping the products I plastic will definitely protect them from torrential rains, extreme winds, and flooding

But anyways, all the best. And as for he sentence above, I didn't really mean it.

----------

This, is where unibody is put to the test.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:58 AM   #5
ascylto
macrumors newbie

Browett's gone

ifoAppleStore has also pointed out that the company has taken precautionary measures to protect its inventory ...

So, Apple have got rid of Browett!
ascylto is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:59 AM   #6
TheJae
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to TheJae
OMG thank you so much Apple!! I stopped going to Apple Stores because the crowds are so uncivilized.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:00 AM   #7
pinchez
macrumors member

Not too concerned about Apple stores and products! But good look to everyone who's affected
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:00 AM   #8
kps
macrumors regular

Now that would be appropriate architecture for Apple stores: made out of aluminum and glass, and then wrapped in rubber and and plastic film to keep them from getting scratched and broken.
kps is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:27 AM   #9
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Why don't they just put a case on it?

Last edited by STiNG Operation; Oct 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
STiNG Operation is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:44 AM   #10
Jetson
macrumors 6502a

The photo of the Palo Alto store is beautiful.

I remember when there were no Apple stores, and Apple products were relegated to the backshelves in electronics stores.

Microsoft/Windows fanboys would deride us Apple computer owners.

Nowadays Apple stores are so busy you can hardly move around in one while shopping.

He who laughs last, laughs best.
Jetson is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:47 AM   #11
MyMacintosh
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson View Post
The photo of the Palo Alto store is beautiful.

I remember when there were no Apple stores, and Apple products were relegated to the backshelves in electronics stores.

Microsoft/Windows fanboys would deride us Apple computer owners.

Nowadays Apple stores are so busy you can hardly move around in one while shopping.

He who laughs last, laughs best.
are you fishing for a response? What does Microsoft/Windows have to do with this article? Lets see how you spin this to relevance...
MyMacintosh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:50 AM   #12
EssentialParado
macrumors 65816

The sandbags I get, but what help does a bit of tape on the windows provide?
EssentialParado is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:52 AM   #13
nad8e
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to nad8e
Sandbag the doors, tape the windows, leave all the product sitting on the tables? Very, very bizarre.
nad8e is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:00 PM   #14
Jetson
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMacintosh View Post
are you fishing for a response? What does Microsoft/Windows have to do with this article? Lets see how you spin this to relevance...
What are you, some kind of troll?

Good grief!

Jetson is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:01 PM   #15
psingh01
macrumors 65816

Tape on the windows is supposed to keep shattered glass from flying everywhere. I doubt the Geniuses know the purpose of it otherwise they'd realize 2 thin strips of tape on huge panes of glass isn't going to do much if it gets shattered.
psingh01 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:01 PM   #16
ds2000
macrumors regular

apple in sandbag and tape shocker...... slow news day
ds2000 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:02 PM   #17
floydts
macrumors newbie

Why no store in Rio Grande Valley, South Texas? Harlingen

The RGV at the south tip of Texas includes McAllen, Harlingen and Brownsville. Over a million population, and if you include the Mexican side - maybe over 2 million. And no Apple store.
floydts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:05 PM   #18
applesith
macrumors 68000

Yeah that painter's take is really going to make a difference.
applesith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:10 PM   #19
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502a

"Sandbags and taped windows at 14th Street store in Manhattan (Thanks, Ethan!)"
lol! I wish giving photo credit was as easy as this in all my journalism classes!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:13 PM   #20
bdavis89
macrumors regular

You can tell they've never been through a hurricane. Hope everyone stays safe.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssentialParado View Post
The sandbags I get, but what help does a bit of tape on the windows provide?
Helps keep the pieces of glass together if/when it breaks, instead of having shattered glass fly everywhere.
bdavis89 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:15 PM   #21
Jetson
macrumors 6502a

Seems like they'd rather board up the windows.
Jetson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:17 PM   #22
anthonyp01
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nad8e View Post
Sandbag the doors, tape the windows, leave all the product sitting on the tables? Very, very bizarre.
The wannabe looters will be watch that store very closely.

Please follow me, I need groupies!: Twitter - Google + - Linkedin
anthonyp01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:17 PM   #23
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis89 View Post
Helps keep the pieces of glass together if/when it breaks, instead of having shattered glass fly everywhere.
If they had any sense the glass would already have a plastic coating - pretty much every retail shop (at least in the UK) or office with large windows has a completely unnoticeable clear plastic coating, so that if the glass shatters, it stays in one piece. It also makes it a lot harder to do a quick snatch and grab.
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:22 PM   #24
testcard
macrumors 65816

Gorilla Glass, anyone?
testcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:27 PM   #25
gweedo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis89 View Post
You can tell they've never been through a hurricane. Hope everyone stays safe.
----------

A fallacy. It does not. See the following note from the Federal Alliance for Safe Homes. A basic google search will uncover MANY other articles pointing out why taping your windows does nothing (except really make a mess of your windows).
gweedo is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion