Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

One Still Sheep

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
I'm still waiting for an iOS app that can sync with my toilet, so that I can flush it from a different room.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
These are neat. kinda pricy, but neat. would be nice to be able to turn on all of my lights with my phone.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Looks interesting, but it is quite expensive. I can see it taking on in the future when becomes cheaper.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You can buy single bulbs like this with a remote for $11 online. Same basic thing with colors and different blinking modes, etc.

I can buy the same basic thing WITHOUT a remote that comes in one color for only $1.

The thing that you fail to realize is that this is DIFFERENT. You can PROGRAM what the colors do and when. It's all automatic. A remote control is MANUAL.

Do I want it? No - too expensive for what it does. Do I think it's cool? Yes. Would I use it if I was given it as a gift for Christmas? Hell, yes.

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
A little overpriced in my opinion. There are similar LED light bulbs with remote control for less than €15 each. It's fun to change the color on an Ipad or Android, but in my opinion not worth the price.

Junipr

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
how many iOS device owners does it take to buy an extraordinarily expensive set of light bulbs to bring the price down?

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Now even light bulbs can be status symbols!

Who really is going to change the color of the light bulbs in their house numerous times to numerous colors?

While it IS a cool idea, it's pretty pointless and there is no way I'd pay that kind of money for light bulbs, LED or not.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Ugh. I hate the tendency of Macrumors posters to take every cool new things and deride it because it's not instantly cheap and instantly everywhere. As if those factors will never change over time.

wright.jpg

Only one passenger? Super slow? Less space than a Nomad. Lame.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I wonder if the next big thing isn't going to be connected mobile devices but connected domestic devices. Thermostats would be another good place to start - provided they are affordable.

Isn't what you mention called NEST?

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
You guys all can hate, and talk about how over priced they are, but I want it. I'll pay that for lighting that can be put on a sleep timer, adjusted to a color I select from a picture or color picker. I'll take 1 kit please.

Shop around, if you really want something like this there are better systems available that are far more flexible and expandable.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I'd be "wow cool!" if I hadn't had awful experiences with Philips Brand lighting in the past. Everything I bought from Philips was over priced and stopped working wayyy to soon. Booo!

Last edited:

Ticklemedaly

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
I wonder if the next big thing isn't going to be connected mobile devices but connected domestic devices. Thermostats would be another good place to start - provided they are affordable.

Check out the Nest Thermostat.

Edit: I see someone already beat me to it.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I’m getting these for my bedroom. Turn the red and maybe, just maybe the wife will get the hint. LOL

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
The Philips hue introduction pack includes:

3 hue light bulbs of 600 lumen (50Watt equivalent)

Each hue light bulb covers all shades of white, from warm white light to cold with light, and a wide variety of color. Each hue light bulb uses 80% less power than a traditional light bulb.

A hue bridge to easily set up your lighting network

A power supply for the hue bridge

A LAN cable to connect the hue bridge to your router

A download instruction for the app

Note: the hue introduction pack can be enlarged with up to 50 individual hue bulbs

RRP US$199 / € 199 / £179

Wake me up in a year when this kit includes 75-100w equivalent output at a lower price..

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Wake me up in a year when this kit includes 75-100w equivalent output at a lower price..

Didn't I hear you say the same thing to the Wright brothers?

"Wake me up when you can fly further than a hundred feet and carry more than one passenger"

Sometimes the responses to niche product releases on here are hilarious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.