Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm currently reading Final Dawn - Episode 3. The books (really short stories) are great. I cannot put the book down. Its an apocalyptic themed story about the end of the world.

That sounds interesting; I may have to read one of those too. Also looking forward to Wednesday when I should get the new Kindle Paperwhite.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That sounds interesting; I may have to read one of those too. Also looking forward to Wednesday when I should get the new Kindle Paperwhite.

I dismissed the kindle paperwhite but to be honest, I'm reading on my kindle more then ever - mostly because its so much easier to grab and go. I'm re-evaluating my stance. I like my iPad but in this case I find the kindle to be a bit better. The one thing I miss sourly is some sort of lighting since I frequently do not read in the best of lighting conditions. I think I may pick one of those up in the course of time

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I dismissed the kindle paperwhite but to be honest, I'm reading on my kindle more then ever - mostly because its so much easier to grab and go. I'm re-evaluating my stance. I like my iPad but in this case I find the kindle to be a bit better. The one thing I miss sourly is some sort of lighting since I frequently do not read in the best of lighting conditions. I think I may pick one of those up in the course of time

I'm in the same boat as you; I do 99% of my reading on the Kindle and usually the lighting is dismal so I need to move closer to a lamp. I'll be sure to let you know what my experience is like with the paperwhite later on.

EDIT: I just went to send the sample first book of Final Dawn to my Kindle from Amazon's website and I have an additional optional device called [Redacted]'s 2nd Kindle. I thought that was odd so I logged in to Manage my Kindle and saw that Amazon has my Paperwhite listed in my account already, but no serial number yet and that they are delivering books/samples to it already! Neat-O.

Last edited:

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I just finished Vernor Vinge's "Rainbows End." It was equally as good as "A Fire Upon the Deep" and "A Deepness in the Sky". At some point I may read some of his earlier works. They are speculative science fiction, which seems to be less and less popular today.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Just finished reading David Weber's first book in the Honor Harrington series "On Basilisk Station". That was a very good book and I really liked it's ever quickening pace toward the end.

I'm not sure if I want to start finishing the book I am halfway through on Einstein, start the next David Webster book or read that Final Dawn book in my post above.

Reading on that Kindle Paperwhite is awesome. I started and finished "On Basilisk Station" with it as my first book on it in under 6 days.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Two books at the moment: a fresh restart at Sir James George Frazer's The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion and quite matching, though totally by accident, Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu and other short stories. The latter seems to be more consumer friendly :)D) and is up to now the favorite of the two during a short spanish trip (forgotten english dictionary may play a role there too).

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
just finished:
1473655_19237943_trimmed.jpg

just started:

count-monte-cristo-alexandre-dumas-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
just finished:Image

just started:

I've read both of those; Papillon is fascinating (though, according to French friends, maybe not entirely reliable or accurate. Seemingly, while a lot of what is depicted in the book happened, it didn't all necessarily happen to Papillon himself......Who knows? Perhaps they are biassed.)

The Count of Monte Christo has one of the best opening few hundred pages that I have ever read. Like Dickens, Dumas wrote many of his books - and initially, they were published as such - originally in serialised form in magazines (the completed book would be published subsequently). This meant that it was in their interest to pad out a story for a variety of reasons - and it also means, to my mind, that both of them could have done with the services of a good sub-editor. But the first few hundred pages (until Dantes escapes) are as gripping as anything I ever read as a kid.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I've read both of those; Papillon is fascinating (though, according to French friends, maybe not entirely reliable or accurate. Seemingly, while a lot of what is depicted in the book happened, it didn't all necessarily happen to Papillon himself......Who knows? Perhaps they are biassed.)

The Count of Monte Christo has one of the best opening few hundred pages that I have ever read. Like Dickens, Dumas wrote many of his books - and initially, they were published as such - originally in serialised form in magazines (the completed book would be published subsequently). This meant that it was in their interest to pad out a story for a variety of reasons - and it also means, to my mind, that both of them could have done with the services of a good sub-editor. But the first few hundred pages (until Dantes escapes) are as gripping as anything I ever read as a kid.

good stuff and thanks for sharing. always nice to find out someone has read the same classics as you. i'm only 50 or so pages in but i do agree!

i had done some research on Papillon and had found the same comments/criticisms. They are also included at the back of the book.

I was aware of Dickens and Dumas and the serials. I'm sure you will agree it is almost glaringly obvious when you read them, especially The Count..., that they were done in that form.

A tale of Two Cities and The Three Musketeers are two of my personal faves of all time.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Since I finished David Weber's first book in the Honor Harrington series, On Basilisk Station, I decided to read the second book, The Honor of the Queen, next rather than jumping to an entirely different book first.

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-20%20at%208.47.54%20AM.png

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I just finished Brent Weeks' "Beyond the Shadows" which is the third book in the "Night Angel" trilogy. Overall, I enjoyed the series, but at times it felt like I was slogging through them just to finish. I don't think I'll read them a second time.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
I'm into non-fiction history books. I have two on my iBooks shelf that I'm currently reading, Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (a great read so far! Cannot put it down), the other is Columbine by Dave Cullen. I'm not from the US and I was only 7 years old when the Columbine school shooting occurred in '99, so I had little background information of the high school massacre before reading the book, haven't finished it yet, kind of disturbing but nonetheless very interesting. I'm really enjoying both books.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I just finished Rick Riordan's Kane Chronicles, book 2: "The Throne of Fire." So far, I haven't read anything I didn't enjoy.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
I just finished Rick Riordan's Kane Chronicles, book 2: "The Throne of Fire." So far, I haven't read anything I didn't enjoy.

I've read it a few months ago. Was a great read. Riordan's one of my favorite authors. I've read all the books in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series as well as the first book in the The Heroes of Olympus series. Once you start reading his books, they're difficult to put down!

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Just watched The Hunger games and really enjoyed it so I picked up all 3 books for £6.00 at HMV :)

All 3 books for just £6, now that's a bargain :D
I read the first and the second books. Started Mockingjay, read half of the book before I stopped. I loved the first two books but the third one in my opinion wasn't well written. The first two books were fast paced and thrilling. The third was dull and uninteresting. I know I should read the whole book before judging, I tried but I just couldn't. I really hope you like it though ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Over this past week-end, in a wonderful labyrinth of a book-shop, I came across a lovely, slightly battered, hard-back book, "The Decameron of Boccaccio" (published by Blue Ribbon Books, New York in 1931) with charming illustrations by Steele Savage.....

Needless to say, I bought it and am now looking forward to curling up, glass in hand, and settling down to read it. Slowly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.