Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeysarks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Detroit
Put off getting a new computer till after the event today. Is the Mac Mini capable of video editing, live streaming, and maybe live streaming AND gaming at the same time? Or is that integrated graphics still a huge bottle neck for the entire system? I was thinking quad core and 16 gigs of ram with it, but if the lack of discrete graphics is still a deal breaker for what I have planned i'll pick up a Macbook Pro Retina instead. Maaaaaybe i'll hold out for a 27 inch iMac, cuz i'm still a little scared about overheating/throttling a MBPr with my work...but honestly that iMac is so thin now it may have the same result lol.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Put off getting a new computer till after the event today. Is the Mac Mini capable of video editing, live streaming, and maybe live streaming AND gaming at the same time? Or is that integrated graphics still a huge bottle neck for the entire system? I was thinking quad core and 16 gigs of ram with it, but if the lack of discrete graphics is still a deal breaker for what I have planned i'll pick up a Macbook Pro Retina instead. Maaaaaybe i'll hold out for a 27 inch iMac, cuz i'm still a little scared about overheating/throttling a MBPr with my work...but honestly that iMac is so thin now it may have the same result lol.
Capable of video editing? Of course. Capable of fulfilling your video editing needs? No idea w/o more info though the integrated GFX does mean the Mini is less capable than the rMPB.

joeysarks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Detroit
Capable of video editing? Of course. Capable of fulfilling your video editing needs? No idea w/o more info though the integrated GFX does mean the Mini is less capable than the rMPB.

Editing 1080p 30fps 20 minute vids with HEAVY efx. I'd like to edit in ProRes instead of proxy with the new machine too. As for streaming and gaming, i'd say an MMO (probably WoW) on good settings and streaming somewhere between 720p and 1080p. I can't see 1080p cuz I believe u need a lot of bandwidth for that, and i'm only working with 4-5 upload at the moment which doesn't seem like enough. Streaming while playing games on the same machine is only a maybe right now, but streaming and recording Xbox gameplay in 1080p is a definite.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
For FX heavy work the dedicated GPU would certainly be an improvement and the Mini's aren't designed to be under a sustained heavy load. Honesty, I'd be more worried about the Mini overheating than the MBP.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Not designed for a sustained heavy load? Care to provide evidence to that effect?
Just personal experience with my own Mini, the short life (only a couple of years) of the Mini's some friends have used as HTPCs and off hand comments from Mac-centric IT contractors I know saying that the Minis they install tend to die off at higher rates than other Macs and they attribute this to insufficient cooling in the Mini line. Considering Mini's have a built in power supply and have a compact, stacked design it makes sense to me that they wouldn't be able to dissipate heat as well as a MBP or iMac.

The new Minis are, well, new so they might not have the same heat related issues as previous Minis but it's something to consider if you plan on getting a machine that's going to be pushed a lot, IMO.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I supposed the reason I asked is that there are numerous mini clusters that are designed for heavy prolonged loads. Granted they may have more ideal cooling set ups
I've read about those clusters too and I assume as well that they are in a climate controlled room designed to keep them running at safe temps.

avemestr

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Not designed for a sustained heavy load? Care to provide evidence to that effect?

It kinda depends on what "designed for a sustained heavy load" means. Modern computers very seldom (never?) experience an actual physical melt-down. But one of the reasons for that is, that the CPU automatically slows down when it's getting too hot.

Most often, the computer will rev up the fans (if any are available) before clocking down the CPU.

So, basicly, the Mac Mini will probably not melt down during sustained heavy load. But the fan will probably sound like a jetplane and the actual performance of the CPU might be down to half of the clockspeed it carries.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Outside of gaming(the lack of a dedicated gpu card does hurt this round),

The mac mini quad core is very capable of doing video editing, programming, graphics design etc.

GPU is rarely used for those capabilities. It is cpu bound in most cases unless you have a specialize software.

Last year one of the best bag for the buck computers from Apple was the mac mini server as it came with an i7 quad core processor that was better than baseline iMac on benchmarks.

Gaming is another issue, I would not recommend a mac mini at all. The Intel HD 4000 although better than its predecessors, is not that good for gaming at all.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
So, basicly, the Mac Mini will probably not melt down during sustained heavy load. But the fan will probably sound like a jetplane and the actual performance of the CPU might be down to half of the clockspeed it carries.
Yeah, it's not going to have a physical melt down but heat kills and excessive heat can certainly shorten the life of electronics.

Outside of gaming(the lack of a dedicated gpu card does hurt this round),

The mac mini quad core is very capable of doing video editing, programming, graphics design etc.

GPU is rarely used for those capabilities. It is cpu bound in most cases unless you have a specialize software.
That was true in the past but it's becoming more and more common for applications to tap into the GPU instead of the CPU. FCP X, Motion, Color, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Resolve and various popular plugins from Red Giant are just some examples of common post production software that leverages the GPU for rendering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.