Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I have an iPhone 5 32GB and I love it and have no plans to deviate from it I hope for at least 2 years, but I gotta say if LTE weren't in my area or country and I couldn't be bound to a contract or pay a ton for the unlocked, contract free price, this would be a serious alternative:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/google-nexus-4-hands-on/ <-- hands on
bit.ly/V0kzM7 <-- link to Google Play site

Only in 8 or 16GB though but $299 and $349 are the unlocked prices for HSPA models.

LG also seems eh as a manufacturer but I guess they just used the same 8MP Sony cam that's been in 4S/5/GS3/Optimus G/making its way everywhere essentially, a quadcore S4 snapdragon is dropped in there I think that has the radio in it too as the SoC, 4.7" 1280x768 16:10 IPS screen that should be nice as long as it isn't as washed out as the Nexus 7 IPS display, wireless charging is a neat bonus but not a big deal imo.

Thoughts?

I did try a Galaxy Nexus for a little while and liked it but ultimately went back to iPhone for iOS and such. I think the Nexus 4 offers a much more competitive package overall, however.

Last edited:

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
No LTE, no comparison.

I was disappointed with the update honestly, it was a minor bump.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I also think they missed the mark on lack of SD card expansion slot.

Not including expandable storage is one thing, but offering limited and small amount of internal storage options (16GB is the max?) sort of screws anyone who needs it and wants to go Pure Google. Plus, it'd be another nice selling point away from Apple products.

And 1080p video recording on 8GB? Have fun :D

Steering consumers away from contracts while having fresh hardware at a decent price is something I approve of, even if I'm not in the market for that particular product.

Last edited:

chocoyo00

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
SoCal
Will be returning my Iphone 5 before the 30 day period and ordering a Nexus 4. IMO LTE only becomes a player if you constantly stream videos, HSPA+ is fast enough in Los Angeles for anything else, plus no contract is a no brainer for me. Iphone 5 has been good though :)

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Waiting for the LTE model... hopefully in a few months?

$300 for a unlocked top end smartphone is really great though.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I also think they missed the mark on lack of SD card expansion slot.

Not including expandable storage is one thing, but offering limited and small amount of internal storage options (16GB is the max?) sort of screws anyone who needs it and wants to go Pure Google. Plus, it'd be another nice selling point away from Apple products.

And 1080p video recording on 8GB? Have fun :D

Steering consumers away from contracts while having fresh hardware at a decent price is something I approve of, even if I'm not in the market for that particular product.

Isn't the 'Nexus' line promoted as a Dev phone, not really targeted to the average consumer?

No LTE is kind of baffling...but, for it's purposes, there's no need for crazy amounts of internal storage.

alohamade

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
I'm buying one, actually. Fact is, I still can't upgrade from my iPhone 4S to a 5, iPhone 5 still hasn't hit $300 and below prices on eBay (The Nexus 4 is $299), and I tried to switch into Android with the Motorola Atrix a few years ago but made a horrible decision. Plus, I've always wanted a Nexus phone. It's running on Micro SIM which is perfect, too.

...But there is no worry! This phone will be a holdover until the presumptive iPhone 5S. I'm not one to go on these forums and be like "ALRIGHT THE NEXUS 4 IS BETTER SEE YOU ALL LATER" like I see so much.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I like the Nexus 4 overall. I would consider buying just to use as a backup device or to use from time to time. Although, with the lack of LTE it's gonna be a tough decision. I've gotten use to these 58mbps download speeds on LTE. And it wouldn't replace my iPhone 5.

wedouglas

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
Makes you wonder what you're paying for with respect to other manufacturers. Good price for what is probably one of the best unlocked phones you can get.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Nexus devices are the only Android devices I'll be willing to buy. Personally, if I wasn't locked into contract with my iPhone 5, I would get a N4. I loved my GNex. LTE is not a deal breaker for me. We survived with the iPhone 4S. Heck, I actually turn LTE off on my iPhone 5.

Debating on getting the N10 over the iPad Mini.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Only $299 contract free? :eek: Wow...

HD IPS display
8mp camera
S4 Pro quad core
2GB Ram
Pure android

Guess I'm going Android it seems :p

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Who cares about no LTE? 5-10 Mbps download speeds are already more than enough to do daily things on the phone like web browsing or download apps, streaming vids too.

For that price point, the specs are pretty impressive. What's more, given that its a nexus & LG device, I trust the quality of the phone.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
Considering you can buy two for the price of one iPhone, and it comes with excellent specs, gorilla glass front and back this phone is a steal. The no LTE sucks but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker given its price point.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Isn't there a different section of the forum for non-iOS related discussions?

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
No LTE makes it a non-starter. How they can do that at this point in time is beyond me. That said, I expect we will see a Verizon LTE model at some point.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
No interest here whatsoever. Already upgraded from a Nexus and there is no way I would go back.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Rather buy an LG fridge.

Who cares about no LTE? 5-10 Mbps download speeds are already more than enough to do daily things on the phone like web browsing or download apps, streaming vids too.

For that price point, the specs are pretty impressive. What's more, given that its a nexus & LG device, I trust the quality of the phone.

Considering 3G speed in the states are like 1.5Mb download, don't really wants to go back to that from LTE.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Will be returning my Iphone 5 before the 30 day period and ordering a Nexus 4. IMO LTE only becomes a player if you constantly stream videos, HSPA+ is fast enough in Los Angeles for anything else, plus no contract is a no brainer for me. Iphone 5 has been good though :)

What network are you on? I know HSPA+ is fast, so I'm not worried about that or the lack of LTE. But I'm moving to Los Angeles soon, and I'm kind of hesitant to leave Verizon right now because of how good the coverage is.

I think the Nexus 4 looks great. I'm only hesitant to get an iPhone 5 because I need transit directions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.