Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

John Poole of Primate Labs posts about some 4th Generation iPad benchmarks that appeared in their Geekbench database on Sunday night.

ipad4benches.png

True to Apple's claims, the 4th Generation iPad benchmarks about twice as fast as the 3rd Generation iPad. The new iPad is based on an A6 processor which was first introduced in the iPhone 5. The iPad's processor is called the A6X, signifying the inclusion of quad-core graphics (vs triple-core) to help drive the device's larger Retina display. The 4th Generation iPad's A6X processor also appears to be clocked at 1.4GHz, slightly faster than the iPhone 5's processor which runs at 1.3GHz. This speed boost is reflected in the benchmarks above. (Readers should note that the original iPhone 5 benchmarks suggested that its A6 ran at 1.0GHz, but later more accurate testing showed it to actually to be ~1.3GHz.)

The amount of RAM in the device remains at 1GB -- the same as the 3rd Generation iPad and iPhone 5.

The 4th Generation iPad is now available for pre-order and will officially launch on Friday, November 2nd alongside the iPad mini.

Article Link: 4th Generation iPad Benchmarks Show 1.4GHz Dual Core Processor, 1GB of RAM

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
the iPhone 5 and ipad 4 have more than doubled the predecessor :O Seems to be an Apple trend now :D I guess that is what happens when Apple makes their own chips instead of relying on others!

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Haha...I feel so spoiled. It seems like just yesterday that I was squeezing every bit of memory I could out of the Razr and various BlackBerrys to make my apps look nice. Now I hardly have to worry about technical limitations at all.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
That's impressive. The iPad with retina deserves such a processor.

Still, not planning to sell my iPad 3. ;)

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Seems like the 4th gen isn't really getting any attention at all to me. Everybody is about the iPad mini right now!!
Apple should have waited until march to release it that way it doesn't mess with the cycle and gets more media....

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Pretty hefty upgrade for a 6 months interval

The A5 wasn't exactly new when it came to the iPad. It just got a graphics update to handle the new resolution.

Seems like the 4th gen isn't really getting any attention at all to me. Everybody is about the iPad mini right now!!
Apple should have waited until march to release it that way it doesn't mess with the cycle and gets more media....

I hope fall updates become the new "cycle." It's better for consumers because all the iPads bought for the holidays won't become obsolete in three months.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
The A5 wasn't exactly new when it came to the iPad. It just got a graphics update to handle the new resolution.

I hope fall updates become the new "cycle." It's better for consumers because all the iPads bought for the holidays won't become obsolete in three months.

With more RAM too.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I'll wait until they redesign the body like the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini. Grabbed a Mini to hold me over until then.

hoon2999

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
For people who might not know, the 3rd placed device in chart(iPad 3rd gen) just released this year. :rolleyes:

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
it's nice to see apple do away with the 1x a year update. It's refreshing to see them actually start to be faster on their toes.

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
That is a super jump in score from 3rd to 4th(NOT FAIR!) I will be happy to see a similar jump like from 2nd-3rd. oh well.... still happy with my 3rd gen :D!

timd.mackey

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
Yikes, if my 3rd gen iPad didn't feel obsolete before, it does now after seeing these benchmarks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.