Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weezerr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
I live in an area without AT&T LTE coverage. Currently with my iphone 4, I get better battery life and reception just staying on the Edge bandwidth. If I need data I will flip on 3g if needed. While I know you can disable LTE, I have seen no mention of being able to turn off 3g/"4g" and just use the edge network. Is this possible?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
We don't know for sure yet, but based on past experience my guess is that there will be a "LTE On/Off" switch and a "Cellular Data "On/Off" switch.

So, basically, no, I don't think you'll get what you're asking for.

But we'll have to wait for Friday to know for sure.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
I live in an area without AT&T LTE coverage. Currently with my iphone 4, I get better battery life and reception just staying on the Edge bandwidth. If I need data I will flip on 3g if needed. While I know you can disable LTE, I have seen no mention of being able to turn off 3g/"4g" and just use the edge network. Is this possible?

like the above poster said, there is no way to know tip friday. what i do though, is turn off my cellular data if I'm in a wifi area (work)

the only thing i would miss at that point would be a mms from a non iPhone user.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If not, hopefully it will be made available by Jailbreaking the phone. I know on my iPhone 4S I can use sbsettings to turn off 3g, forcing the phone into edge.

Same here.
If you JB you could.
Stock I doubt they will let you turn off 3G.
They dont want people still using 2G and they're slowly outphasing it.
Pretty soon they will completelly kill it and make people with old 2G cellphones upgrade.

hekokimushi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
this setting is en/disabled by your carrier.

i am in HKG. SMT does not have disable 3G as an option.
my cuz's CSL does have disable 3G at the same location as LTE. (CSL doesn't have LTE support for iP5 yet)

Mkna85

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
I can :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 162
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.