Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
I just got a 1 TB external USB3 drive and moved my 300gb iMovies events folder from my old iMac to it (over my lan, the USB drive is hooked to my RMBP). I then opened iMovie and it saw all the just imported events. So i closed iMovie and opened FCP X (10.0.5) and selected "Import iMovie Library." This took a while but worked. All the events showed up in FCP and clips would play fine.
So now on my 1 TB external I have 2 folders, the original iMovies events folder i moved over and now a FCP events folder. Both these folders are ~300GB but the 1 TB drive says it still has ~700GB free and that only ~300GB are used. Finder shows both folders as having 300GBs in each. Whats going on? I would like to delete the iMovie events folder but is the FCP events folder just symlinking to the iMovie files?

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Update your FCP-X. Go into iMovie events folder and you should be able to delete your files.:apple:

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
I used "du -s -k *" in terminal and saw that the FCP events folder was like 300 GB and the iMovies event folder was only like 1 GB. so i deleted the iMovie event folder (it backed up one another computer) and all the FCP events still work fine. it was just weird to me that Finder report the wrong disk usage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.