Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this year, Other World Computing (OWC) announced the launch of its 480 GB Mercury Aura Pro solid-state drive for the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro. Some questioned the cost-effectiveness of pursuing such an upgrade, however, given its $579.99 price tag compared to Apple's $500 charge to boost the standard 256 GB drive to a 512 GB drive, although aftermarket upgrade users can also keep their original drives for external use.

owc_retina_macbook_pro_ssds.jpg

OWC has now announced that it has certified this same Mercury Auro Pro drive for use in the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro released last week, and Apple's decision to offer a 128 GB drive in the entry-level model may make OWC's offering a more appealing option for those looking to upgrade storage capacity on their machines.
In addition to offering significantly more capacity over the factory base 128GB SSD, the 480GB Mercury Aura Pro offers a $220 savings over the comparable sized 512GB factory capacity upgrade costing $800.
While OWC's aftermarket solid-state drive is currently offered only in 480 GB capacity, the company does note that additional capacities will be coming in November. Apple offers 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB, and 768 GB options in the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, with all but the lowest capacity available in the 15-inch models.

Article Link: OWC Certifies 480 GB Aftermarket SSD Upgrade for 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro

Last edited:

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I personally wouldn't want to open up a glued laptop and risk it's integrity and build quality just to upgrade what can be ordered via Apple's own website.

I'd fear it'd fall apart. Or maybe I'm not clued in on how it's actually put together, and it may be totally harmless?

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Yikes, that's a lot of money... A fast 480 GB SSD is $400-500 but those are standard. Hopefully these will go down in price as time goes on :eek:

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
More crappy SSDs from OWC. Nice. Search the forums to see the myriad problems with OWC SSDs before buying one

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
I personally wouldn't want to open up a glued laptop and risk it's integrity and build quality just to upgrade what can be ordered via Apple's own website.

I'd fear it'd fall apart. Or maybe I'm not clued in on how it's actually put together, and it may be totally harmless?

Accessing the SSD is no more complex than in the ordinary MBP just a few small screws to remove the bottom cover the SSD can then be easily be swapped out.

NB: Pentalobe screwdriver required for this

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
iRCL's comment notwithstanding, are the OWC drives worth a look? $200 is indeed more money, but that also gets you more storage and the piece of mind of something Apple assembled and warrants. The OWC drive would have to be dramatically better for me to consider it.

Frign

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
OWC is my life support. In many aspects getting parts there can save you lots of money (and time).

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC

All of five seconds of Google could answer and show it's even easier than replacing it on a standard laptop.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Interesting to see if OWC will then assume the voided Apple warranty . . . :rolleyes:

Or did OWC receive written authorization from Apple?

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
How did this not make front Page but people getting their smart covers early did?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
In this day and age, a damn SSD shouldn't cost as much. Just look at Intel's latest 325. It's in the $200 range for a nice beyond 240GB SSD. Apple wants to charge $800 for something Intel barely charges $500. Crazy.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
More crappy SSDs from OWC. Nice. Search the forums to see the myriad problems with OWC SSDs before buying one

Some of the first models they sold were having issues. Nowadays they are good and reliable drives.
They offer good customer service, detailed instruction about how to perform the installation and caters a good service that many of us appreciate.
_________

What entity is certifying these drives?

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
How did this not make front Page but people getting their smart covers early did?

Are you saying you are not excited to see someone else's tracking information :-/

Feck know who decides what's front page material, but decisions really are ....... Odd.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Interesting to see if OWC will then assume the voided Apple warranty . . . :rolleyes:

Or did OWC receive written authorization from Apple?

The machine warranty is still valid. Any replacement part that is used and not installed by an authorised service provider is not covered so this aftermarket SSD is not covered under Apple warranty but the entire remainder of the machine is. It's that simple and has been clarified several times with apple executive relations.

If a manufacturer can prove the replacement part caused other issues related to warranty service they have a case but otherwise they just provide warranty for everything except that part.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Are you saying you are not excited to see someone else's tracking information :-/

Feck know who decides what's front page material, but decisions really are ....... Odd.

Well if it's ios = front Page it seems these days

Macs = wherever

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
The machine warranty is still valid. Any replacement part that is used and not installed by an authorised service provider is not covered so this aftermarket SSD is not covered under Apple warranty but the entire remainder of the machine is. It's that simple and has been clarified several times with apple executive relations.

If a manufacturer can prove the replacement part caused other issues related to warranty service they have a case but otherwise they just provide warranty for everything except that part.

That's incorrect under US law. Apple's warranty disclaims itself (which Apple is within their rights to do) in the event of any "unauthorized modification." Since there are no user-serviceable parts inside a retina (as opposed to the cMBP), Apple can void the warranty of a machine where someone has changed the SSD. No evidence of damage is required. Hence my question of whether OWC has received written authorization from Apple.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Too bad Samsung doesn't license to OWC or sell rMBP compatible drives in the 3rd party market. I'd get OWC if they would dump the crappy sandforce controllers their drives use. I need a SSD that doesn't drop 50% performance with filevault.

boomer0001

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
That's incorrect under US law. Apple's warranty disclaims itself (which Apple is within their rights to do) in the event of any "unauthorized modification." Since there are no user-serviceable parts inside a retina (as opposed to the cMBP), Apple can void the warranty of a machine where someone has changed the SSD. No evidence of damage is required. Hence my question of whether OWC has received written authorization from Apple.

As I work for an AASP, Apple sends people to us that wants to modify their machine by using an Authorized Provider to maintain their warranty. We've put in SSD/HDD combo's in MBP's and iMacs and Apple honors their warranty because they used an AASP. With Retina Displays, it may not be User accessible, but it is AASP accessible and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't honor the warranty as long as an AASP performed the service work. My advice would be to call Apple prior to taking it in to an AASP so they can have it on their logs that you contacted them prior to performing any work as well as keeping receipts of the work performed after the date of the call.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
As I work for an AASP, Apple sends people to us that wants to modify their machine by using an Authorized Provider to maintain their warranty. We've put in SSD/HDD combo's in MBP's and iMacs and Apple honors their warranty because they used an AASP. With Retina Displays, it may not be User accessible, but it is AASP accessible and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't honor the warranty as long as an AASP performed the service work. My advice would be to call Apple prior to taking it in to an AASP so they can have it on their logs that you contacted them prior to performing any work as well as keeping receipts of the work performed after the date of the call.

Certainly, and that's in line with what the law is. You work for an authorized Apple Service Center, and have, in effect, Apple's permission to work on machines. However, Apple could still void the warranty because the specific modification has not been authorized.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

Exactly. US courts have held that the above holds true for cars where the dealer must show that the modifications caused the failure but not so for consumer electronics. Apple will void your warranty for something like this. RAM upgrades do not void the warranty. Sucks that one can't sell their original SSD for fear they may have issues and need to swap back to it but that's just how it goes.

----------

Because most of us don't go screwing around with a nicely built machine.

Werd. Very very few people will do this to their machines. Far less than 1%. Decent chance more than that will consider a Smart Cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.