Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shymcfly

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
One of my main reasons for purchasing the iPad was as a digital portfolio. It is extremely nice to have a digital copy of your portfolio on hand at all times and clients/perspective clients seem to love being able to hold the photos on their hands and browse through them on the touch display. Anyone else using it for this purpose?

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I use my phone if I want a quick reference. On the airplane, in a bar, casual encounters, etc, because I'll actually have my phone handy during moments like that. If I'm doing a formal presentation of my work, I connect my laptop to a projector and do it right.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
In studio I show people very large albums 14x18 books as my portfolio. I do have a nice slideshow that is on my iPad and will use that if I run into someone but realistically its rare for me to meet a potential client out on the city. I'll also have it playing a slideshow in the studio on a loop in the corner more for a cool factor but not as the main thing to show them

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I'll be getting an iPad in a month or two (once Apple remembers the UK :(). As a photographer and writer, I have plenty of uses for the device. As a portfolio, yes. I like the idea of clients holding it, and being 'in control' of viewing pix. I'm doing photographic workshops too, so plan to use the iPad with and without a projector. I don't plan to write books on an iPad, but for taking notes, it seems ideal. Add the external keyboard for 'proper' writing.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
It seems much better than a MacBook or MacBook Pro for showing pictures. It annoys me that laptops have all gone 'widescreen' - as widescreen is good only for movies and bad for pretty much everything else. On an iPad you can display a portrait format picture with a vertical resolution of 1024... you'd need a MBP 17 inch to do that.

So yes, I think it'll be great for portfolios, and that's one of the main reasons for me buying one.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
My 75 year old dad is getting iPad to show his digital pictures to all his friends, and bonus for WiFi. He has 24" iMac, so this will be their 2nd Apple product and suffice as web browser, picture viewer, email, etc.

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
Good idea! I hadn't thought of the digital portfolio thing. If I ever have this need I'll definitely try it. Thanks!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I just got an iPad and it's probably the ideal way to share photos with people in-person (vs. online). It's also a fantastic digital photo frame when charging or otherwise not in use.

As everyone probably knows or can imagine, it syncs photos through iTunes from either iPhoto, Aperture, or a folder. I've only experimented with the Aperture sync. The iPad has forced me to revisit my smart album naming convention though. Previously, I used this kind of naming convention...

Trips (folder)
- Hawaii -2010 (folder)
- Hawaii - 2010 (project)
- Top Shots (smart album)

It's no problem to sync just your top shots smart albums with the iPad (simply sync selected albums only and check the ones you want to sync), the problem is that iPad will inherit the album's name... in my case "Top Shots"... so when I first synced all my Aperture smart albums to my iPad I ended up with several albums on my iPad called "Top Shots" which wasn't all that helpful.

You have to name your smart albums something more intelligent as you can't rely on the folder structure you have in Aperture to know what's what.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I like the idea.

I'm a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to posting my work (photography or music) online and the idea of having control over the experience as well as the content really appeals to me.

BMP84

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
I too have used it for this purpose and have got amazing feedback, not to mention booked a few spring/summer family shoots thanks to it. :)

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Question

Are you guys able to sync Aperture "projects" in place of iPhoto "events" on the iPad?
Do they act the same way with being able to pinch and squeeze the albums open and close?

Thanks

woodypop

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
portfolio app for ipad

Hi, since the iPad one was released I've been looking for a good portfolio app, its now been over three years right? I think its better to bring your iPad then the computer to job interviews, but it hasn't been as good as I've wanted it to be. So I got sick of it and made one myself! and yesterday it was finally released on AppStore. Search for Showoff and you will find it. Hope you like it! And please give me all feedback you have if there is something you don't like or would like to have in the next version! Here is a link:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/showoff...568896289?mt=8

and you can get more information at http://www.getshowoff.com

One of my main reasons for purchasing the iPad was as a digital portfolio. It is extremely nice to have a digital copy of your portfolio on hand at all times and clients/perspective clients seem to love being able to hold the photos on their hands and browse through them on the touch display. Anyone else using it for this purpose?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.