Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has received word from several Apple reseller partners that they have already begun receiving shipments of Wi-Fi iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad models ahead of their launch scheduled for this Friday, November 2.

We're hearing mixed news on stocks, with one reseller indicating that it has received roughly 500 iPad minis but no fourth-generation iPads. The iPad mini stock level is reportedly about double what the reseller received for the third-generation iPad launch, which also included cellular-capable models. Cellular-capable models of the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad will follow several weeks after this Friday's launch of Wi-Fi models.

ipad_mini_ipad_4.jpg

A second reseller is reporting a somewhat contrasting scenario, noting that it has received roughly 25 iPad minis and about 80 fourth-generation iPads so far. This reseller is, however, reporting that it expects to receive additional shipments throughout the week leading up to Friday's launch.

As we noted earlier today, all launch day pre-orders of Wi-Fi iPad mini and iPad models have now sold out, and many of those who were able to place orders for delivery on Friday are tracking their shipments that left China earlier this week en route to their destinations.

Article Link: Resellers Receiving iPad Mini and iPad Shipments Ahead of Friday's Launch

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Try the iPad mini at home, today!

If you have an iPad 2, just imagine it's smaller! Other than the physical size, it's the same hardware as an iPad 2 as far as the software is concerned.

Which is good news for current iPad 2 owners, as their iPad just got at least another year of being a current version of iPad that developers must target.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Which is good news for current iPad 2 owners, as their iPad just got at least another year of being a current version of iPad that developers must target.

I would be surprised if the Mini doesn't get an update next spring.

justski

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011

If it gets an update in the spring then I will buy one then too and just sell my 1st generation online for a little loss. I know I am an early adopter and that is the price you pay I guess.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I think I'm gonna hold out for next year's revision and dump my iPad 3rd gen. Just waiting for the retina display :)

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
I'm not complaining at all. But I'm getting the iPad w/ Retina Display now. As soon as they announce/release the next generation iPad mini w/ Retina Display and A6X or whatever it will have, then I will buy the mini :D

jpmcnown

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2011
I'm hoping to buy one through Amazon, purely out of spite.

----------

Um, yeah, isn't this the way it's supposed to work?

I remember UPS delivering the first iPad ON launch day, as I sat in front of BestBuy with the other idiots.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

No. Just like the iPad gen 1, it'll be one year before an update. Too much demand for this first gen product, even without all the bells and whistles. And they've got a bit of work to update the product to include a high res screen without increasing size, while keeping battery life and price at same level as today. And all this has to be done in parallel with their maintaining incredibly high profit margins. Nope, no updates coming till next year.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
i would be surprised if any ipad gets an update next spring

A huge reason we saw updates to the iPads last week is due to the holiday season.

You really think Apple is going to skip updates for their iDevices until the end of next summer?

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
Target is offering a $40 gift card with any iPad purchase (as advertised in this week's print ad). I've already preordered mine. But I wonder if they'll be getting these in...and if the deal is applicable. Would make good towards a case purchase.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
No. Just like the iPad gen 1, it'll be one year before an update. Too much demand for this first gen product, even without all the bells and whistles. And they've got a bit of work to update the product to include a high res screen without increasing size, while keeping battery life and price at same level as today. And all this has to be done in parallel with their maintaining incredibly high profit margins. Nope, no updates coming till next year.

And yet the iPad 3 was updated when?

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
WilliamLondon's point was based on the fact that the mini is a first generation product. The 3 was not.

Yeah, sorry about that London, valid point.

I do think that things have been changing at Apple and that we will be seeing more minor updates to products more frequently. I'm still thinking we see a retina display Mini in the spring.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
And yet the iPad 3 was updated when?

Because they're part of the same "family" they follow the same rules? Yes, I'd say that's a fair assumption, but you must remember the rules are: 1) don't upgrade more than once per year, and 2) see rule number 1.<wry grin>

The iPad 3 to iPad 4 upgrade was an exception, for one big reason: to reset the refresh cycle (to coincide with the iPhone release, and the holiday season so holiday iPad gifts, both full sized and mini, would not be perceived to be obsolete in a mere 3 months when a new version is released, rendering the product less valuable in the the minds of both the gift receiver and giver).

lucas107

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2008
am i the only one after the announcement of the nexus 10 to have zero interest in the new ipad? i was really considering getting one for the family but after seeing the nexus 10 i have lost all interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.