Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Besides the iPad mini, Apple is launching another new iPad on Friday -- the 4th Generation iPad. The embargo has been lifted on those reviews as well, though they contain no real surprises. The 4th Generation iPad came out only seven months after the 3rd Generation model.

35440704_zaxxon_02-2_610x436-500x357.jpg
Image from CNet

The changes include a faster A6X processor running at 1.4GHz allowing the device to run twice as fast as its predecessor. The new processor doesn't worsen battery life. Engadget's testing even showed it to be slightly improved. The front facing camera has been upgraded to take HD video, and the only other external change is the replacement of the 30 pin dock connector with the new smaller Lightning connector. CNet sums it up:
The latest iPad adds several tweaks and improvements to secure its position at the top of the tablet heap. It's better all around, but third-gen owners need not apply.
The other interesting effect the new iPad has on Apple's product line is that it increases the gap between the iPad 2 and the "new iPad". Apple has chosen to keep the iPad 2 at the $399 starting price point and simply retired the 3rd Generation model, replacing it with the new one. That $100 difference between the two models now represent a larger feature gap than before.

Full reviews:

- Engadget
- CNet
- SlashGear
- The Verge

Article Link: 4th Generation iPad Reviews: Faster, Better Camera, Lightning Port

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Lovely. My "new iPad" lasted all of 7 months. Is that the shortest product life cycle ever for an Apple product?

(Of course, it still works fine, and I will continue to use it. It's just never a nice feeling knowing your product got superseded by the new model -- twice as fast even -- while yours isn't even out of warranty yet. Oh well...)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Lightning Port – wow, how insightful. It's nice when reviewers take the time to highlight all the hidden features. :rolleyes:

Gnomepatrol

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
Metro East Area
Got my iPad 3 in April and see no compelling reason to get the 4. Will wait another cycle or 2 as long as this one works for me.

You shouldn't feel compelled at all to upgrade. I am glad you aren't. THe iPad3 is a great piece of hardware and there is no reason to move from it to the new iPad refresh.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Lovely. My "new iPad" lasted all of 7 months. Is that the shortest product life cycle ever for an Apple product?

(Of course, it still works fine, and I will continue to use it. It's just never a nice feeling knowing your product got superseded by the new model -- twice as fast even -- while yours isn't even out of warranty yet. Oh well...)

I understand how you, me, and many can fell that way. But we buy products to last not be the new new. Most all have a car a generation or design back, why should a mini computer be any different. Sooner than later there will be a new new.

But what frustrates me more is that i have to read the Stouf**rs lasagna cooking direction every time. They change that far more often. We are beta.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I upgraded from the 2 to the 3, but definitely won't be going from the 3 to the 4. Glad to see some improvements, however.

Can't wait to see the 5th generation though! Wouldn't be surprised if it followed the iPad Mini - narrower sides, anodized backside, thinner, lighter. Would be nice!

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
You shouldn't feel compelled at all to upgrade. I am glad you aren't. THe iPad3 is a great piece of hardware and there is no reason to move from it to the new iPad refresh.

Sure there is...it's the last generation and obsolete. It's slower, less capable and out of date. Why keep old tech? It's useless.

:p I'm just kidding of course.....calm down.....

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
No IGZO no buy.

Sharp's shipping IGZO screens en masse this quarter. Why not use it to create a thinner, lighter iPad?

This is tech that was supposed to be used for iPad 3, but now hasn't even made it into iPad 4.

I don't need an overweight overheating beast to lug around. I'll wait for the next one.

Last edited:

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
The only thing I want to know: does it still get "hot" in your hands like the 3rd gen does? First gen always pleasantly cool to the touch.

ChuckG

macrumors member
May 27, 2007
L.A.
Someone needs to create a minimalist dock with a Lightning connector for iPad 4 and iPhone 5. I simply can't believe Phil Schiller thinks a smaller connector obviates the elegance of a charging dock, especially for a device as heavy as the iPad.

I preordered my iPad 4, despite losing the dock. Let's hope the A6X performance bump over the A5X is worth it.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Someone needs to create a minimalist dock with a Lightning connector for iPad 4 and iPhone 5. I simply can't believe Phil Schiller thinks a smaller connector obviates the elegance of a charging dock, especially for a device as heavy as the iPad.

I preordered my iPad 4, despite losing the dock. Let's hope the A6X performance bump over the A5X is worth it.

I'd like a heavy aluminum dock that can hold both the ipad and iPhone and charge them both as well as sync.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I'm on the fence about this one.

I find my iPad 3 to be slow with iBooks (particularly ones with audio) and other apps (like DJ, iPhoto, SnapSeed, etc). However, I did not plan on purchasing another iPad this year.

My iPhone 5 with its A6 performs much better when using those apps (apps are more responsive, they launch faster, iBooks doesn't slow to a crawl, etc).

It's a tough call for a serious iPad user that would actually see a benefit from the A6X processor, but I feel like they're sticking it to me.

Then again, my iPad is now my primary computing device.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Got my iPad 3 in April and see no compelling reason to get the 4. Will wait another cycle or 2 as long as this one works for me.

Yeah I was also an iPad3 early adopter.
From what I've been reading of the iPad Mini reviews, I may just get the next generation of that model (whenever it gets a retina screen).

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Does anyone else think the "iPad 3 to 4" upgrade is the same as the "iPhone 4 to 4S" upgrade?

Didn't the 4S only get a better processor and camera? I might be remembering wrong. (BTW, I'm talking about hardware, not software.)

ChuckG

macrumors member
May 27, 2007
L.A.
No IGZO no buy.

Sharp's shipping IGZO screens en masse this quarter. Why not use it to create a thinner, lighter iPad?

This is tech that was supposed to be used for iPad 3, but now hasn't even made it into iPad 4.

I don't need an overweight overheating beast to lug around. I'll wait for the next one.

I'm pretty sure it's something we'll see in a redesigned iPad 5 next fall. Jony Ive probably feels that a dramatically thinner display warrants a rethinking of the enclosure and not another tweak to the existing enclosure (like the thicker iPad 3 and 4 vs iPad 2).

Besides, the iPad 5 will probably borrow some design cues from the iPad mini, such as the chamfered edge, anodized back, speaker grille, and ultra-thin profile.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Does anyone else think the "iPad 3 to 4" upgrade is the same as the "iPhone 4 to 4S" upgrade?

Didn't the 4S only get a better processor and camera? I might be remembering wrong. (BTW, I'm talking about hardware, not software.)

Well, and Siri.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011

Sell it on craigslist and buy a new one

Or deal with it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.