Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

locomotive282

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Carson, CA
Just hooked up mine to my system. 2.6Quad, 1TB HD. Out of the box it is really fast. I was planning to upgrade the memory and SSD but I don't feel the need yet.

I have it set to 1080p60 and looks great on my display.I had to play with the MIDI/AUDIO Utility to get it to output Dolby Digital. Remember though Netflix and Hulu don't stream Dolby Digital to PCs yet, but Apple Store purchases are full HD and Dolby Digital.

I tested graphics card out with Uberstrike HD and it is very smooth. I am not a heavy gamer anymore, but I will be getting CIV 5.

I still have to get it to work with my Harmony Remote and still have more PLEX experimenting to do.

There has been a lot of negativity about the Intel Graphics 4000. It is good enough. There is a lot of crap talk about putting an SSD in, instead of getting one factory from Apple. Smurf that! I love modding my stuff. I guess its all sour grapes for some people. :p

So far very happy with purchase and it has been worth every penny. Highly recommended. ;)

Attachments

• mac mini.JPG
    mac mini.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 316
  • my system.JPG
    my system.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 347

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Yep, the HD 4000 is really a stunning graphic chip. Just played a round Starcraft 2 2560x1440 resolution with most settings on high to ultra, only some (like shaders) on low and got constant 50 fps!

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
There is a lot of crap talk about putting an SSD in, instead of getting one factory from Apple. Smurf that! I love modding my stuff. I guess its all sour grapes for some people.

Personally I don't know why you wouldn't upgrade the parts yourself. By sourcing my own SSD and 16gb of Memory I have saved over £200. Which is the only reason I can afford to buy the Mac Mini in the first place.

I know you have to us Trim Enabler to enable TRIM support when you first install your SSD but apart from that I can't think of any other reasons?

tablatom

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2009
Congrats mate!
Finally someone who actually has tried the Intel HD 4000 with the 2.6ghz.
And as it turns out, he's very happy with it.
I'm not a serious gamer, but i get bored with all the speculation of what somethings going to be like when its guess work.
Can't say i ever thought Apple was going to go downgrading with the mini's new graphics abilities.
2.6ghz 3 days away, yahoo.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Congrats!

Please tell me what the shipping weight was. I'm ordering overseas and would like to estimate the forwarding service based on the weight. Thanks

Reminisce32

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
Just hooked up mine to my system. 2.6Quad, 1TB HD. Out of the box it is really fast. I was planning to upgrade the memory and SSD but I don't feel the need yet.

I have it set to 1080p60 and looks great on my display.I had to play with the MIDI/AUDIO Utility to get it to output Dolby Digital. Remember though Netflix and Hulu don't stream Dolby Digital to PCs yet, but Apple Store purchases are full HD and Dolby Digital.

I tested graphics card out with Uberstrike HD and it is very smooth. I am not a heavy gamer anymore, but I will be getting CIV 5.

I still have to get it to work with my Harmony Remote and still have more PLEX experimenting to do.

There has been a lot of negativity about the Intel Graphics 4000. It is good enough. There is a lot of crap talk about putting an SSD in, instead of getting one factory from Apple. Smurf that! I love modding my stuff. I guess its all sour grapes for some people. :p

So far very happy with purchase and it has been worth every penny. Highly recommended. ;)
what keyboard and mouse are you using?

locomotive282

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Carson, CA
what keyboard and mouse are you using?

I am using the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Track Pad. I definitely prefer the feel of a mouse but I felt that a mouse would be problematic to use on a sofa environment.;) The weird thing is that the magic track pad feels different to the track pad on my Mac book Pro mainly because of not being able to rest my wrist on the body of the laptop. The best part of the Magic tack Pad is all the real estate for gesturing that part works well. I am gonna try to get adjusted to the track pad a few more days if I still don't like it, I am gonna exchange it for the Magic Mouse.

Attachments

• Keyboard and Mouse.JPG
    Keyboard and Mouse.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 161

antithema

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
I will have the middle model tomorrow and the 16gb ram in a few days. iI am replacing a 2006 iMac, do you think there is gonna be a huge difference?
I will keep it like this for a year and maybe next year I will replace the HDD with an SSD.

Garden4Gods

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012

How hot does it run and is it quiet in operation?

locomotive282

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Carson, CA
My Mac Mini 2.6 with 2x256 SSD is coming today. I have 16GB of 1600MHz RAM from OWC on-hand to install.

I also like the Apple Track Pad and wireless keyboard.

Two products I use to hold them (I have more than one Mac) are:

BulletTrain Express
http://bullettrain.com/express.html

Ambidextrous Keyboard Tray
http://www.hekseskudd.com/default/p...for-apple-wireless-keyboard-and-trackpad.html

Hey thanks for the link I am definitely gonna order the Bullet Train Express that is exactly what I need! $80 bucks is a lot to ask for it, but I don't want Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.:D

newexpress_angle.jpg

locomotive282

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Carson, CA
How hot does it run and is it quiet in operation?

I am glad you asked that. I just finished the smoke test of the Mac Mini. I left it on all night doing SETI@Home. Processor use 100% for over 10 hours.:eek:

When I checked it this morning the Mac Mini was only slightly warm to the touch and the fan seemed to going at full blast.

Now fan noise is highly subjective issue but I would rate the fan to be a 3 out of 10 with 10 being my original X-Box 360. With the Mini inside my entertainment console I could barely hear it from my sofa. Up close and with door of my console open I could tell that it was on but the fan makes a very pleasant whooshing noise rather than a whiny fan noise like for example the PS3 original. The PS3 original fan is more quiet than the X-Box 360 but the pitch of the PS3 fan is so whiny and annoying. :(

The Mac Mini used in a desktop scenario should be fine as the only time the fan ever ramped up for me was during the torture test I subjected it to.:cool:

Since I know that noise is a deal breaker for some folks, let me know if you guys want a fan noise video.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
I will have the middle model tomorrow and the 16gb ram in a few days. iI am replacing a 2006 iMac, do you think there is gonna be a huge difference?
I will keep it like this for a year and maybe next year I will replace the HDD with an SSD.

I replaced my 2006 iMac with the 2.3GHz Mini with 16GB RAM. I've just been doing normal things, nothing CPU-intensive. It is notably snappier and I am glad to be rid of Snow Leopard.

Last edited:

antithema

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
I replaced my 2006 iMac with the 2.3GHz Mini with 16GB RAM. I've just been doing normal things, nothing CPU-intensive. It is notably snappier and I am glad to be rid of Snow Leopard.

I haven't installed the 16gb of ram yet (it's still with the 4gb standard ram) but it seems a bit slow right now, slower than my 2006 imac or the 2009 13.3 MacBook Pro (has SSD). I am a bit disappointed as I really wanted a quad core pc for a year now thinking that it will fly. I am thinking seriously to replace the HDD with a 256 SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.