Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1
zaphodtheprez
macrumors newbie

Weekly Photo Contest - Oct 22-29 (Theme: All Dressed Up)

Welcome to this week's photo contest!

Theme: All Dressed Up

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

With Hallowe'en coming soon, and my recent memories of dressing up and taking part in the Toronto Tweed Ride, I look forward to see how everyone finds a way to interpret and capture this theme.
zaphodtheprez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:05 AM   #2
jodelli
macrumors 65816

Not sure if he was a re-enactor or just early for Halloween. This is an older photo from an annual event that will take place later this week.
jodelli is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Sideonecincy
Banned

Sideonecincy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:26 PM   #4
AlexH
macrumors 65816

Yeah, I wear a mushroom backpack by DigitAl3x, on Flickr
AlexH is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:11 AM   #5
pmxperience
macrumors regular

Locals dress in traditional clothing at the Great Wall of China

China Dress by pmxperience, on Flickr
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:08 PM   #6
milbournosphere
macrumors 6502a

Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Keleko
macrumors 68000

Keleko is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Bartlindon
macrumors newbie

The princess

The Princess by Cicciopic, on Flickr
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:46 PM   #9
fireman32
macrumors 6502

Tried to find something to fit this weeks contest. This is a shot of the starter for the Duke Children's Hospital Jump for the Cure last year.

DSC_3433 by dspector32, on Flickr
fireman32 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:22 AM   #10
psychotropic
macrumors regular

My addition to the contest....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6964.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	373553  
psychotropic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:33 AM   #11
Razeus
macrumors 68040

201206162635.jpg by dharrisphotog, on Flickr
Razeus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:35 PM   #12
zaphodtheprez
macrumors newbie

The weekly photo contest is officially closed.

Thanks everyone for participating in the weekly photo contest. Sorry, I was not able to post the closure and feedback last night due to a power outage in my area.

I'm going to include all entries up to this message. I know there are a couple stragglers but hopefully there are no strong objections to having them included in the judging.

Please be patient and I will have the feedback and results posted shortly.
zaphodtheprez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:07 PM   #13
acearchie
macrumors 68040

Pushing The Harrods Car by acearchie, on Flickr

Edit: Just realised the competition is closed! Well I'll leave it posted for fun!
acearchie is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:49 PM   #14
zaphodtheprez
macrumors newbie

And the winner is...

Thanks to everyone who entered and made this very difficult to judge! This is just an amazing group a photos to choose from.

Feedback comes first:
Jodelli - My favorite part of your photo is how you have captured the perspective of the space and how people are filling the space with multiple activities. The converging lines on the ceiling, floor and left wall along with the eye-level height of the camera, bring me right into the hall as if I am standing there taking it all in. Then suddenly an out-of-place character steps right into the middle of the scene! The graininess of the photo takes away from this quality though. Were you trying to use a higher aperture to get deeper DoF trading off the ISO?

Sideonecincy - Wow, nice Chevy Bel Air. This photo looks like it could have come from a much older album - very good choice of B/W. It looks like you had a difficult background to work with including a bright sky. You've used good composition to frame the bride's head in the bright area. There is a pleasant symmetry and the joy of the moment comes through. If you could rearrange it a bit, you could try to hide the lamp post behind the groom's head, it did not show up dressed for the occasion.

AlexH - Who took his lollipop? Your subject has a great expression directly aimed at the photographer / observer. I was surprised to see how well he is exposed under the dark awning, but then I noticed how brightly the sunshine is reflecting from the stores across the street. Here again, another great example of deep DoF to show the length, activity and character of the street scene.

Pmxperience - I love the colors of the traditional robes and the subjects are caught in a personal moment un-aware of the photographer. I'd like to see this photo .5 to one stop lower because the colors including the green background look washed out and could "pop" a little more and increase contrast.

Milbournosphere - It's a good thing you shot the little Boba Fett before he shot you! Even with his helmet on, this picture shows a moment of intimate understanding between photographer and subject - "Are you friend or foe?", seems to be the question.

Keleko - Another great emotion revealing expression. "Don't mess with this Ogre or I'll eat you!" You've made excellent use of shallow DoF, with a colourful but well blurred background. A few inches to the left and your subject's face would be in shadow and wasted the shot, so you've made good use of available light.

Bartlindon - There is no doubt that we are looking at a princess - it's written on her face. You've made a nice choice of making her reflection, in the magic mirror, the subject while she herself is on the right, out of the sweet spot. I'd love to see this one in color - it looks like she has a colorful dress but B/W reduces to shades of grey. Perhaps the indoor light is not helping the low contrast in B/W. I bet that if you asked her, she would agree that princesses are made of colorful rainbows.

Fireman32 - Where do I start with your photo? So many colors, and so many shapes and lines and patterns - I just sat and looked for all the little things. In the middle of all this is your subject playing a horn. I don't think he could fit in any other scene - well perhaps at a royal fox hunt. Could you zoom in a little to show the strain in his cheeks while he blows his horn?

Psychotropic - I like the wide aspect ratio for your composition and the B/W suits Beetlejuice and his pose perfectly. Using the on-camera flash has caused an odd shadow and exposed the wall brighter than the reflection in the mirror. If you have the equipment or can borrow it, experiment with an off-camera flash and/or diffuser to see the difference lighting can make. I can imagine this scene with the subject just out of the frame and a darker wall and a glowing reflection in the mirror, making it look like Beetlejuice is in the mirror but not in the room.

Razeus - Those eyes! You've got excellent focus in the subject's face and hair while everything else is gradients of blur, giving her pose the setting an amazing depth. The paleness of the shoulder and makeup on the face may be the look you were trying to achieve, but the washed out colour on the back of her outfit makes me feel you could reduce the exposure a bit.

And the winners are, drum roll please...
3rd - AlexH
2nd - Razeus
1st - Sideonecincy

As my wife would say - "The problem with you is that you are a romantic."

----------

Congratulations Sideonecincy...now handing over the reins to you.
zaphodtheprez is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:55 PM   #15
Sideonecincy
Banned

Thank you zaphodtheprez!
Sideonecincy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:06 PM   #16
Cheese&Apple
macrumors Demi-God

I didn't enter but still have to say: "Great job with the well thought-out and detailed judging zaphodtheprez".

Congrats Sideonecincy...that's a beautiful shot!
Cheese&Apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:26 PM   #17
AlexH
macrumors 65816

Great job judging zaphodtheprez. Congratulations Sideonecincy!
AlexH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:07 AM   #18
fireman32
macrumors 6502

Great judging and congrats to the winners!
fireman32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Tags
contest, photo, weekly