Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Let me start by flatly stating I do not believe the moderators are lazy or incompetent.

Why has there been an increasing incidence of spam posts on macrumors forums? It can't be getting easier for spammers to infiltrate the forums.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Please report the spam posts and we'll deal with them as soon as a moderator is available.

We can't monitor every single post so we rely on post reports to alert us.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
And you have done that well. I'm not complaining that I ever see it. I'm curious as to why its been ramping up lately. Most of the people on the site are tech savvy enough not to fall for it, and continuously creating accounts would be tedious. It seems like a lot of work for no gain

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think for the most part its an automated process and if its not, thy probably outsource and pay pennies for such things.

As Olly mentioned, report it, the moderators try to be proactive, and monitor the situation but with so many posts occurring each day there some that slip through.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
And you have done that well. I'm not complaining that I ever see it. I'm curious as to why its been ramping up lately. Most of the people on the site are tech savvy enough not to fall for it, and continuously creating accounts would be tedious. It seems like a lot of work for no gain

It seems to come in waves. A different group of spammers will target us for a few weeks and then lose interest when they realise it's not working. I even doubt the people posting the spam have a clue what they are posting, they are probably just contracted to cut & paste it across a number of targeted sites. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.