Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John McWilliams

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
Apt.
ND Football

No, I didn't get tickets this year. Unemployment kind of limits funds for such things.

Notre Dame is a top 20 team but to put them in the top 10 is not legit they have played a weak schedule against weak Big 10(12) teams,Military academy schools and finish their games with nobody yes I remember USC but like I said they finish with nobody. Their win against OU was their best and only really quality opponent this year they should all get drunk and become patio furniture.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Notre Dame is a top 20 team but to put them in the top 10 is not legit they have played a weak schedule against weak Big 10(12) teams,Military academy schools and finish their games with nobody yes I remember USC but like I said they finish with nobody. Their win against OU was their best and only really quality opponent this year they should all get drunk and become patio furniture.

You could say the same about Alabama, actually. The only team that's tough that they are playing against is LSU.

Including quality wins over *cough* Michigan, which Notre Dame beat as well.

Last edited:

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
You could say the same about Alabama, actually. The only team that's tough that they are playing against is LSU.

Seven of the top 16 in the BCS (five of the top eight) are SEC teams and at least ten of the 14 will be bowl eligible. By season's end (if they go undefeated), they will have played four of the other six. The Tide certainly can't help it that Arkansas, Tennessee and Auburn haven't been up to snuff this year, but beating the hell out of them still says something.

And while I agree that Michigan sucks, nobody seemed to think that two months ago before the game in Arlington. Alabama appears to be just that much better than everyone else right now.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Seven of the top 16 in the BCS (five of the top eight) are SEC teams and at least ten of the 14 will be bowl eligible.

Ok?

By season's end (if they go undefeated), they will have played four of the other six. The Tide certainly can't help it that Arkansas, Tennessee and Auburn haven't been up to snuff this year, but beating the hell out of them still says something.

Eh I don't really think it does. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Alabama is not #1 or anything, but really their schedule just isn't up to par with the perception of that grueling SEC schedule. I said it earlier and I'll say it again, the SEC isn't that great top to bottom, and certainly not compared to previous years.

And while I agree that Michigan sucks, nobody seemed to think that two months ago before the game in Arlington. Alabama appears to be just that much better than everyone else right now.

Right, but that doesn't matter now that we know they aren't that great. When you're comparing strength of schedule, and you try and point out that Alabama has a tough schedule and say that Notre Dame doesn't, well, you're wrong. Alabama should be blowing out those teams, because they aren't good at all. And Mississippi State should have never been ranked #11, just as Michigan shouldn't have been ranked #8. Those are the only two ranked teams they've played. Literally every other team they've played is garbage.

They will probably blow LSU out too. I don't think they are that good (at least in SEC terms). Texas A&M will probably be the closest game they have all season until they play Georgia in the SEC championship.

Just because you're in the SEC doesn't make you automatically the best teams around every year. In fact, I'd say both the Pac-12 and Big 12 are better this year top-bottom than the SEC.

and just a quick tidbit, Alabama and ND are #1 and #2 in points against. Seeing as the strength of their schedule is roughly equal (though ND has certainly been tougher), that's something to pay attention to.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I said it earlier and I'll say it again, the SEC isn't that great top to bottom, and certainly not compared to previous years.

Half of the SEC is ranked in the top 16 of the BCS. That's pretty solid by any estimation, I think.

you try and point out that Alabama has a tough schedule and say that Notre Dame doesn't

I'm not saying that. Not having the 13th game, however, could hurt ND while it helps Oregon.

They will probably blow LSU out too. I don't think they are that good (at least in SEC terms).

I seriously doubt that. Their offense is bad and their special teams isn't as good as it's been, so I don't think they can beat Alabama, but the game is in Baton Rouge where LSU almost never loses. I think it'll be close.

Just because you're in the SEC doesn't make you automatically the best teams around every year. In fact, I'd say both the Pac-12 and Big 12 are better this year top-bottom than the SEC.

I agree with the first sentence but laugh at the second one. Outside of Kansas State, the Big 12 is pretty bad this year. OU and Okie State are down a bit, Tech is decent but not a top tier team (even though they're probably the second-best team in the league), UT is the worst 6-2 team in the history of college football, TCU is struggling without Pachall, Baylor is Baylor, Kansas is one of the worst teams in D-I, etc., etc., etc.

The Pac-12 is good at the very top (Oregon, Stanford) and decent just below that (Oregon State, USC) but after that what are they?

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Half of the SEC is ranked in the top 16 of the BCS. That's pretty solid by any estimation, I think.

I disagree. I think that the perception of the SEC over the past few years give them clout, and in turn even if they aren't great, they are ranked much better.

I'm not saying that. Not having the 13th game, however, could hurt ND while it helps Oregon.

Oh, I thought you were trying to say that. Yes I agree. I think K-State ends up in though due to USC and stuff losing.

I seriously doubt that. Their offense is bad and their special teams isn't as good as it's been, so I don't think they can beat Alabama, but the game is in Baton Rouge where LSU almost never loses. I think it'll be close.

In the series the home team tends to lose (at least that's what I thought). But I still don't think LSU is going to really play that inspired. Idk, I could be wrong, but I'm predicting a big win for Alabama to the tune of 24-9 or something.

I agree with the first sentence but laugh at the second one. Outside of Kansas State, the Big 12 is pretty bad this year. OU and Okie State are down a bit, Tech is decent but not a top tier team (even though they're probably the second-best team in the league), UT is the worst 6-2 team in the history of college football, TCU is struggling without Pachall, Baylor is Baylor, Kansas is one of the worst teams in D-I, etc., etc., etc.

I disagree based on Oklahoma, Kansas State, Ok State, Texas Tech, Texas, West Virginia (they'll bounce back). I just don't see how you can say the SEC is better top-bottom when literally the only good teams are Alabama and Florida, and a decent Georgia and mediocre LSU. Yes those teams could match up and probably beat the teams from the Big 12, but total? I don't think so.

The Pac-12 is good at the very top (Oregon, Stanford) and decent just below that (Oregon State, USC) but after that what are they?

Stanford isn't really that good, neither is USC. The best teams are definitely Oregon and Oregon State. USC is a couple of really good players, but nothing special outside of that. But you're forgetting that Cal, and the teams from Arizona have been pretty decent this year. Cal lost to Ohio State 35-28 in Columbus, for example.

I'll ask you now, outside of the teams I mentioned, who is even worth mentioning in the SEC?

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Let's just compare the Big 12 versus the SEC from the top on down.

1. K-State or Alabama
  2. Oklahoma or Georgia
  3. Texas Tech or Florida
  4. West Virginia or LSU
  5. Texas or South Carolina
  6. Oklahoma State or Mississippi State
  7. Iowa State or Texas A&M
  8. TCU or Ole Miss
  9. Baylor or Arkansas
  10. Kansas or Tennessee
  11. None or Vanderbilt
  12. None or Missouri
  13. None or Kentucky
  14. None or Auburn

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States

1. K-State or Alabama
  2. Oklahoma or Georgia
  3. Texas Tech or Florida
  4. West Virginia or LSU
  8. TCU or Ole Miss
  9. Baylor or Arkansas
  10. Kansas or Tennessee
  11. None or Vanderbilt
  12. None or Missouri
  13. None or Kentucky
  14. None or Auburn

Yup. I stand by my opinion that from the top-down the Big 12 and Pac 12 are better. I think Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State would win against their counterparts.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Yup. I stand by my opinion that from the top-down the Big 12 and Pac 12 are better. I think Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State would win against their counterparts.

So you think the top five of the SEC is better than the top half of the Big 12. TCU vs Ole Miss and Okie State vs Miss St are toss-ups.

Then your flawed logic says that...

• Iowa State, which couldn't stay within two TDs of Mike Sherman's Texas A&M teams, would beat the Sumlin/Manziel Aggies.
  • Baylor could play enough defense to stop Arkansas.

I don't think so.

Last edited:

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
So you think the top five of the SEC is better than the top half of the Big 12. TCU vs Ole Miss and Okie State vs Miss St are toss-ups.

Then your flawed logic says that...

• Iowa State, which couldn't stay within two TDs of Mike Sherman's Texas A&M teams, would beat the Sumlin/Manziel Aggies.
  • Baylor could play enough defense to stop Arkansas.

I don't think so.

Well if you only compare those teams directly to each other. Mix all those teams up playing against each other, yeah I think so.

Example, Iowa State vs Tennessee or something instead of strictly vs A&M.

And I don't think that the top 5 SEC teams would necessarily beat the top 5 Big 12 teams either.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Well if you only compare those teams directly to each other. Mix all those teams up playing against each other, yeah I think so.

Example, Iowa State vs Tennessee or something instead of strictly vs A&M.

And I don't think that the top 5 SEC teams would necessarily beat the top 5 Big 12 teams either.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Other than KSU, OU and Tech, I think the Big 12 is pretty horrible this year.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Yeah that's perfectly fine. That's the best part about college football. Who the hell knows until they play each other?

I think it would be an interesting exercise to see how everyone would rank the teams from the Big 12 and SEC, from 1-24 (or hell, throw in the Pac-12 and rank 'em from 1-36).

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Fortunately we'll get to see 1-4 play it out before long, even if Tomorrow is still pouting about it. :)

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
No doubt. I don't know how anyone, including Tomorrow, can still be arguing against a 4-team playoff when there's a very real possibility that you could end up with Alabama, Kansas State, Oregon, Notre Dame and Ohio State* all undefeated at the end of the year, all with legitimate claims to the #1 or #2 spot. Hell, if the season ended today, four wouldn't be nearly enough. How much fun would an 8-team playoff be if it looked like:

#1 Alabama
#8 Florida State

#4 Oregon
#5 LSU

#3 Notre Dame
#6 Georgia

#2 Kansas State
#7 Florida

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
No doubt. I don't know how anyone, including Tomorrow, can still be arguing against a 4-team playoff when there's a very real possibility that you could end up with Alabama, Kansas State, Oregon, Notre Dame and Ohio State* all undefeated at the end of the year, all with legitimate claims to the #1 or #2 spot. Hell, if the season ended today, four wouldn't be nearly enough. How much fun would an 8-team playoff be if it looked like:

#1 Alabama
#8 Florida State

#4 Oregon
#5 LSU

#3 Notre Dame
#6 Georgia

#2 Kansas State
#7 Florida

I think that would be kick a&& if you ask me. Won't happen, but it would be nice to see!

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan

1. K-State or Alabama
  2. Oklahoma or Georgia
  3. Texas Tech or Florida
  4. West Virginia or LSU
  8. TCU or Ole Miss
  9. Baylor or Arkansas
  10. Kansas or Tennessee
  11. None or Vanderbilt
  12. None or Missouri
  13. None or Kentucky
  14. None or Auburn

Put my picks in bold, which would be 5-5 excluding the bottom ones. Auburn, Kentucky, and Missouri are all JV teams at best. Vandy isn't great, but I appreciate their team. And even though Texas is crummy, without Lattimore, I wouldn't put any money on their games for the rest of the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.