Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

paperlogo.png
iPad sketchbook app Paper, an Apple Design Award winner, has been updated with a clever new color picker that lets users "mix" colors like they would mix different color paint together.

The app also adds support for the Pogo Connect stylus, an $80 drawing tool that uses Bluetooth 4.0 to determine how hard an artist is drawing and Paper adjusts accordingly.

The Verge has more on how the new color mixer works:
Paper now includes a circular color mixer that lets you tap to pick a color (using RGB sliders, if you'd like), then swipe in a circle clockwise to mix colors and counter-clockwise to unmix. A long press lets you save the color you've made to one of the many black color slots the app now provides. Color is a $1.99 in-app purchase, like many of the app's add-on brushes. If you don't choose to buy it, you still have access to the palette of colors that shipped with the free app.
Paper for iPad is a free download from the App Store, with additional drawing brushes and the color picker available as in-app purchases. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Paper' Introduces New Color Mixing Feature and Support for Touch-Sensitive Stylus

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
This app is great. Use it frequently. Also have a cosmonaut stylus. Might check out this pogo stylus and see how it is.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I may have to download this. Does anyone have the stylus? Think it would be good for my little boy?

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
This application is one of the best ever made for the iPad. I love using it and I can't wait to try the colour mixing feature.

Gobeatty

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
"Think it would be good for my little boy?"

Paper is my boy's (ages 7 and 9) favorite drawing app. Only feature they have ever asked for is more colors. "Daddy, I want make this Pokemon bright green. I can't get the colors I want!"

Beyond that, and now fixed, perfect app. Each boy has his own 'notebook' in the app with their own drawings as a cover. They love it and get annoyed at other apps when two-finger cirlces don't undo actions or a swipe up from the bottom doesn't bring up the tools!

And the app is FREE to download. You get the caligraphy pen and the eraser and you can create as many books/pages as you want. I used just these for months before springing for the other tools, so you CAN do a lot with the free version. It isn't 'hobbled' at all.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
wnload. You get the caligraphy pen and the eraser and you can create as many books/pages as you want. I used just these for months before springing for the other tools, so you CAN do a lot with the free version. It isn't 'hobbled' at all.

Sorry but I have to disagree about the 'hobbled' part. It is for many uses. Well not hobbled perhaps but certainly not free. If you are really looking for an art app this one will cost you a great deal to get the tools you need. And when there are other apps that charge you a one time fee for all their bits it's hard to justify this piecemeal system. Especially when you have to pay for things like pressure support and a color mixer. Those should just be part of the app

----------

I may have to download this. Does anyone have the stylus? Think it would be good for my little boy?

Depends on how little you are talking about. if you mean 5-7 years old little then probably not. Most stylus are either physically too small or too heavy for small hands. Especially ones that are pressure sensitive via bluetooth.

And frankly unless your kid is some kind of art savant they really don't need anything that fancy. a finger or a cheap $5 stylus works great for most little guys. My nephew is 6 and uses a cheap stylus that we wrapped in colored tape to make it thick enough for him to hold it well and he loves it.

Ade-iMac-177

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Cool. i thought i saw that paper had a color wheel when it was quickly shown at the iPad mini keynote.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Only the Pogo Connect got support? If you're drawing on an iPad, you should be using the Jot Touch.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
One evening I purchased the complete in-app pack purchases and to this day i'm glad I did. It only cost me under $10 and it's worth it. I've always been on my iPad and notice I used it only when I'm outside. But being able to draw with more colors will be totally worth it.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
This is one of those apps that I love not only for what it is but for the philosophy behind it. To compare it to other art applications is to miss the point completely.

Powerful tools are often also very complex tools. While Paper is powerful, it isn't designed to be a complete art app and, frankly, that's a good thing. The vast majority of people won't ever use 90% of what the other more "fully featured" art apps can do. All those extra features serve only to add complexity to the app. Rather than empowering the user they slow him down, forcing him to wade through and manage fiddly sub screens and what-not.

Paper is designed to give you a large canvas, some simple but powerful tools and then to sod off out of your way and let you get on with sketching and jotting! No, you won't use this app to create a masterpiece (probably), nor will you use it to design professional quality graphics. You'll use Paper to create quick and beautiful images as part of your creative flow. It's a tool, and a toy. It's about expression, not mastery. I applaud 53 for daring to be different and happily pay for the IAP because I want to see more stuff like this.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Ugh, I wish all these pressure sensitive stylus makers would come together and agree on an standard. It's such a mess right now.

(Either that or for Apple to get over their pen phobia and produce their own.)

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
One evening I purchased the complete in-app pack purchases and to this day i'm glad I did. It only cost me under $10 and it's worth it. I've always been on my iPad and notice I used it only when I'm outside. But being able to draw with more colors will be totally worth it.

I just ran the update. I had previously purchased the complete pack as well. However, I had to purchase the Color mixer separately for $1.99.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Ugh, I wish all these pressure sensitive stylus makers would come together and agree on an standard. It's such a mess right now.

(Either that or for Apple to get over their pen phobia and produce their own.)

Much agreed. With some of the recent 180s that they have done, perhaps next spring or fall we will see an "iPad Pro" with a built in active digitizer. One can always hope that Windows 8 tablets with wacom digitizers gain significant market share so that Apple takes the demand seriously.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Thanks for the advice guys. One more stupid question...

Once the screen goes full page so its just the white paper, how do you get the pens and colours back? :eek:

Zoligirl

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2013
Great app!

This is by far the best drawing tool I have used on the iPad. I can't believe people are complaining about the price - have you ever bought art supplies? Cost a heck of a lot of more than this did! Recommending this to everyone I know who sketches!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.