iPod touch 5 extremely slow WiFi reception - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Aucun Express
macrumors regular

iPod touch 5 extremely slow WiFi reception

Hello guys,

I have just received my brand new iPod touch 5 (Red, 32GB).
I instantly experienced extremely slow WiFi reception.

I tried it on a WEP WiFi, then on a different WPA2 network. Exact same result. Sometime it is blazing fast for a few seconds (10Mbps with Speedtest), then it becomes extremely slow (Speedtest cannot even find a server).

I tried to restart it then to restore it, same thing.

Do you think it is hardware? Any of you have the same issue with your new iPod touch 5th generation?

It is the same as some iPhone 5 users are experiencing.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1452329
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

The only issue I had with my touch 5 was that it refused to automatically join my home network. It remembered the network at my office and one at a relative's home, but not mine.

My solution was to chose "other" in the network settings, then add my network's name and password, then asked it to renew lease. For some crazy reason that worked and I've had no issues since.

Don't know if doing that would help you - but won't cost anything to try.

Also, have you tried changing the location of the server in Speedtest, just to rule out the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy playing any part in the slowdown?
Aspasia is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:14 PM   #3
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

read somewhere that this is one of the issue with the Touch 5. I dont think it is the IOS 6 since Touch 4 still doing fine with wifi. If you look at the spec, Touch 5 supposed to have ultra fast wifi same as Iphone 5 so i dont know. Maybe apple will release something to improve that soon.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucun Express View Post
Hello guys,

I have just received my brand new iPod touch 5 (Red, 32GB).
I instantly experienced extremely slow WiFi reception.

I tried it on a WEP WiFi, then on a different WPA2 network. Exact same result. Sometime it is blazing fast for a few seconds (10Mbps with Speedtest), then it becomes extremely slow (Speedtest cannot even find a server).

I tried to restart it then to restore it, same thing.

Do you think it is hardware? Any of you have the same issue with your new iPod touch 5th generation?

It is the same as some iPhone 5 users are experiencing.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1452329
Don't worry about it, but you'll have to bear with it at the moment. Apple has already recognized the problem, and will be issuing a fix in the upcoming 6.0.1 software update.

Cheers!
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:03 AM   #5
pachi
macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. My 1st gen saved the day since I had to take my 5th gen back. I was planning on buying it again when I can see that the issue has been resolved (and I can find a case to buy for it). How do you know it's known by apple and will be resolved with ios update?
pachi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Aucun Express
macrumors regular

Thanks for your replies. It was extremely frustrating. And remember, it happened on two completely different networks with different encryption (WEP/WPA2) and different location.
I restarted it many times, restored it, same things.

But you know what? Something extremely strange happened!
I was so frustrated that I left it for an hour or so. When I took it back, the WiFi speed was blazing fast again! And it's been almost 20 hours or so and I haven't seen a single issue ever since!

I really do not understand what happened there. Maybe it needed some time to get along with his new master
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachi View Post
I had the same problem. My 1st gen saved the day since I had to take my 5th gen back. I was planning on buying it again when I can see that the issue has been resolved (and I can find a case to buy for it). How do you know it's known by apple and will be resolved with ios update?
iOS 6.0.1 is currently being tested by US carriers prior to its release. "Improved Wifi quality" is included in the changelog of this update.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:14 PM   #8
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

6.0.1 released, your issue also identified. Please let us know if it is solved.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Aucun Express
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
6.0.1 released, your issue also identified. Please let us know if it is solved.
Yes it is! I cannot say that the new release of iOS fixed it, because it was working before. But the issue is definitely resolved for me! Yay
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:48 AM   #10
pachi
macrumors newbie

I returned my first Ipod touch 5 because the wifi was so weak. When ios 6.0.1 came out I bought a new one and updated the ios and I still have issues. Apple tech help told me to take off the case and I'm still testing it out. Is this a new antenna-gate? Will Apple ever offer cases that don"t interfere with the antenna at their store (or any cases at all)?

What would you recommend as an alternative? $400 is too much for something that doesn't work as well as my first gen Ipod touch.
pachi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:10 PM   #11
robertosh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucun Express View Post
Thanks for your replies. It was extremely frustrating. And remember, it happened on two completely different networks with different encryption (WEP/WPA2) and different location.
I restarted it many times, restored it, same things.

But you know what? Something extremely strange happened!
I was so frustrated that I left it for an hour or so. When I took it back, the WiFi speed was blazing fast again! And it's been almost 20 hours or so and I haven't seen a single issue ever since!

I really do not understand what happened there. Maybe it needed some time to get along with his new master
Could be that the touch was downloading apps or emails in the background?
2012 iPad Mini Cell 16Gb
robertosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachi View Post
I returned my first Ipod touch 5 because the wifi was so weak. When ios 6.0.1 came out I bought a new one and updated the ios and I still have issues. Apple tech help told me to take off the case and I'm still testing it out. Is this a new antenna-gate? Will Apple ever offer cases that don"t interfere with the antenna at their store (or any cases at all)?

What would you recommend as an alternative? $400 is too much for something that doesn't work as well as my first gen Ipod touch.
If you don't like it, I would return it. In my case, the wi-fi is much better than in my 3rd gen Touch so I don't believe that it's a general problem with the Touch. One thing to make note of is if you are connecting to the 5GHz band on your wireless router (your new Touch supports a dual band router). The 5GHz band has a shorter range then the 2.45GHz band.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:34 AM   #13
Jonaswq
macrumors newbie

YES!!

When I'm outside and I want to connect to free WiFi, it takes forever to detect the WiFi in the area I'm at. And when it does, it takes forever to connect to it. Except when I'm at home.
Jonaswq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:58 AM   #14
mrskb
macrumors member

No problems whatsoever with my IPT 5g...and it's in a Splash Vapor Flex case...
mrskb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:32 AM   #15
Hadimachi
macrumors newbie

Omg I have the exact same problem
I bought a red 64gb iPod touch online.
When I got it the Internet was quite fast. BUT! Whenever I want to stream videos or load images online it takes forever. I can't even fully load a 1 minute video. It keeps stopping.
I dunno if I'm the only one with this problem.
It's been 3 months and its still slow.
I dunno how I can fix this problem.
Hadimachi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:45 AM   #16
Hadimachi
macrumors newbie

I've tried changing my DNS number to 208.67.222.222 but it doesn't work

Last edited by Hadimachi; Jan 29, 2013 at 05:51 AM.
Hadimachi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:37 AM   #17
CorJaime86
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadimachi View Post
Omg I have the exact same problem
I bought a red 64gb iPod touch online.
When I got it the Internet was quite fast. BUT! Whenever I want to stream videos or load images online it takes forever. I can't even fully load a 1 minute video. It keeps stopping.
I dunno if I'm the only one with this problem.
It's been 3 months and its still slow.
I dunno how I can fix this problem.
This happens to me all the time! I can't stand it! And I have tried everything, like restoring, getting a new one, and nothing seems to work! I have an iPod touch 5th generation red 32GB
CorJaime86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:23 PM   #18
okusai3000
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorJaime86 View Post
This happens to me all the time! I can't stand it! And I have tried everything, like restoring, getting a new one, and nothing seems to work! I have an iPod touch 5th generation red 32GB
Yep, i have the same problem.

I live in Argentina and my router it's a Dlink -600.

In January i traveled to U.S. and the streaming of video was very fast.

So in my conclusion, the problem is in the router. Maybe the old ones aren't well acepted by the ios 6 or the iPod touch 5.
okusai3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 03:43 PM   #19
Anonymous CoW
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up You are a genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
The only issue I had with my touch 5 was that it refused to automatically join my home network. It remembered the network at my office and one at a relative's home, but not mine.

My solution was to chose "other" in the network settings, then add my network's name and password, then asked it to renew lease. For some crazy reason that worked and I've had no issues since.

Don't know if doing that would help you - but won't cost anything to try.

Also, have you tried changing the location of the server in Speedtest, just to rule out the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy playing any part in the slowdown?
THANK. YOU. SO. MUCH!
Anonymous CoW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:02 PM   #20
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous CoW View Post
THANK. YOU. SO. MUCH!
LOL, gee, glad to be of help!
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch