Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I think Amazon is making a mistake by giving Apple so much free advertising. The vast majority of consumers don't even know that the mini launched, and if they start researching and reading the reviews as a result of learning about it on Amazon's site, I think many will opt for the mini instead.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
There is something wrong when you can put the same number of pixels in a 4" Android phone as in a 70" TV and give them both the same name.

At that point the term has lost all meaning.

Not at all. HD simply refers to the number of pixels in a screen of any size. The screens that are called HD should look equally as sharp because they will be viewed at different (appropriate for the device in question) distances.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
1024x768 is NOT "standard definition" which means 640x480 or at best 854x480.

With more than 720 lines, you could consider it "HD". (It's only about 15% less pixels than 720p.)

And yes, you can watch HD movies on it just fine with minimal quality difference.

Apple should demand they take this down.

edit: 1280x720 is HD so 1024x768 doesn't meet it.

Moreover 1st point mention pixel density, 2nd point... again pixel density!? You already mention that!

The speaker thing, nearly irrelevant, and now they have to eat their own words.

Ultra fast MIMO and Wifi? And no mention on Wifi and 3G on the iPad!? Really?

Who made this ad? The guys that made it should be fired for so many reasons!

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
1024x768 is NOT "standard definition" which means 640x480 or at best 854x480.

With more than 720 lines, you could consider it "HD". (It's only about 15% less pixels than 720p.)

And yes, you can watch HD movies on it just fine with minimal quality difference.

Apple should demand they take this down.
NO.

I am sick and tired of corporations manipulating the definition of words and phrases to suit their needs. 720p is NOT HD, unless the H stands for half-a$$. It's 1080p. 4G is NOT HSPA+ or WiMAX, it's LTE running at 100Mbps.

Apple can choose to put an HD screen in their iPad mini or keep their mouths closed when others point out their lack of one. They've chosen the latter. Now OWN IT.

Actually, it falls under EDTV, it is not HD or SD. Which is a middle classification that has seldom been seen by the non-AV-nerd crowd. But that's only for TV, most things done on a tablet are not TV, afaik. So that is called XGA, as it is mainly a computer resolution.

Enhanced Definition.

Last edited:

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
So true, I really don't get that comparison!

They both can play 720p, and the Kindle Fire HD at 1280×800 cannot lift its status as HD and against the iPad mini when can still play 720p (probably with bigger black bars?).

Moreover 1st point mention pixel density, 2nd point... again pixel density!? You already mention that!

No HD movie or TV on iPad? Ehm... iTunes? Hulu? Netflix?

The speaker thing, nearly irrelevant, and now they have to eat their own words.

Who made this ad? The guys that made it should be fired for so many reasons!
1024x768 is definitely not HD, and is low res. The max resolution it can display, despite the source, is 1024x600. That's not HD.

gaspra

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
technically Amazon might be right. Kindle HD has dual speakers for each channel, while ipad mini has one (mono) speaker for each channel.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011

They are comparing models that are roughly equivalent.

wifi with wifi, cellular with cellular

If they compared a wifi to a cellular model or vice versa you'd get people whining about it be deceptive and not a fair comparison.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
lol, "stereo", of course. Two speakers with a distance of 4 to 20 cm mounted on the same casing, I'm sure the effect is stunning.
It sounds nice on the specs sheet though. I wonder when some Android claims to have 5.1 sound.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
technically Amazon might be right. Kindle HD has dual speakers for each channel, while ipad mini has one (mono) speaker for each channel.

That's not how stereo is defined. As long as two channels are played back, it's stereo. More speakers per channel can improve sound, but it's still stereo.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
In 1012, it not silly, its correct. Compare it to its retina sister and it becomes obvious.

Oh, so resolution is comparative. AKA, subjective. Well, then, nobody will ever agree on anything and we should probably close the thread before someone gets hurt. :rolleyes:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

That is what the "apology" in the UK was for. Apple was saying in the uk media that Samsung copied, when the trial in the UK was still going on. At the end of the UK trial, the UK court said Samsung was found to have done nothing wrong.

coo1dud3

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
Not that the average consumer even knows what the difference between the two is.. Marketing at its best.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Oh, so resolution is comparative. AKA, subjective. Well, then, nobody will ever agree on anything and we should probably close the thread before someone gets hurt. :rolleyes:
Well, it is low res compared with similar products. You can't call Amazon a liar for stating the truth.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 3.38.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 3.38.29 PM.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 101

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
Serious question regarding the checklist, not baiting or trolling..

Cool to see about the stereo speakers, but what about a couple of the other items...

1) why can Amazon say they offer Movies and TV (with a PAID amazon prime subscription), yet they dismiss PAY movies and TV from the iTunes Store?

2) Is the iPad Mini (and iPad 2) really a low res display? I swore I watched 720p movies on my iPad 2. While they may have not been 720p exactly, I wouldn't have called it low res.

Is it just selective marketing on Amazons part?

I watched Cars on the iPad mini, it was decent-the New iPad looked better-but you cant beat the smaller package

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
NO.

I am sick and tired of corporations manipulating the definition of words and phrases to suit their needs. 720p is NOT HD, unless the H stands for half-a$$. It's 1080p. 4G is NOT HSPA+ or WiMAX, it's LTE running at 100Mbps.

Apple can choose to put an HD screen in their iPad mini or keep their mouths closed when others point out their lack of one. They've chosen the latter. Now OWN IT.

Sir, yes sir! OWNING IT NOW!

Soldier240.jpg

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Regardless of whether or not the speakers on the mini actually are stereo, the Kindle Fire HD's speakers are remarkably good for a tablet of that size, and the fact they are on the left and right when it's held in landscape mode means you get genuine stereo.

I have one, I watch movies on it, and I can assure you that the iPad mini will not sound as good, because no matter how amazing those speakers are, you won't perceive stereo. So, regardless of whether or not the iPad mini has two channel sound, it is stereo only in the most technical of ways. Speakers an inch apart aren't likely going to give any perceived separation of left and right, even in portrait mode, and certainly won't in landscape, which is how almost all movies are watched.

The iPad mini wins on build quality, weight, and to some extent the app store (for most people, even the Amazon app store is not all that limited). The Kindle Fire HD wins on price, sound, resolution, HDMI output, and ease of charging ports (micro USB trumps Lightning).

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
The Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) devised and governs the standards for what is and what is not High-Definition in the digital distribution world (the ATSC superceded the NTSC which governed regular analog TV for more than 50 years). There are 18 standards for digital television, and per the ATSC 720 progressive is most definitely HD. Anyone who thinks that only 1080p is HD is actually the one who's been won over by "corporations'" marketing.

720p 24/30/60fps, 1080i 30fps, 1080p 24/30/60 fps are all HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.