Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
So, now I've accused Amazon of something?

You really are all over the place with your posts, aren't you?
The meaning of low res is subjective of course. But it is 2012, and there's a class of similar products to compare one to another. Being as the ipad mini, has the lowest resolution of these, it is low res. And this article was an accusation that Amazon was lying. They were not. That's all there is to it.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Apple is going to kill it with the Mini but they really should have released it with RETINA.

Waiting till the next version doesn't make a lot of sense.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
technically Amazon might be right. Kindle HD has dual speakers for each channel, while ipad mini has one (mono) speaker for each channel.

I kind of felt that way too, and besides Amazon probably just took that off Apple's listed specs which clearly states "speaker" so if anyone is incorrect its Apple in the first place.

Apple missed the bus and now they are trying to convince us that its cooler to walk to school in the rain.:cool:

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
What's the point with stereo speakers, if they are placed like on the iPad mini?

Presumably the major reason for stereo sound would be movies and games - and all movies are in landscape mode - where both speakers would be pointing out the same direction. Most games are also landscape mode.

At least the Kindle Fire HD does have proper stereo placed speakers when in landscape mode - left/right.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
They are comparing models that are roughly equivalent.

wifi with wifi, cellular with cellular

If they compared a wifi to a cellular model or vice versa you'd get people whining about it be deceptive and not a fair comparison.

I understand, but they didn't even acknowledge that the iPad mini as WiFi, they just left it blank.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Not at all. HD simply refers to the number of pixels in a screen of any size. The screens that are called HD should look equally as sharp because they will be viewed at different (appropriate for the device in question) distances.

Well now you're making the argument for using something like 'retina' as a term over HD. And if not retina, then something like it that takes viewing distance into account.

So you yourself are arguing that 'HD' is an outdated term that should be replaced. Which was pretty much exact point too.

nharrietha

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
Canada
false advertising and a mistake are two different things. Apple did do false adverting and lied.

Amazon on the other hand made an honest mistake and I can easily see way because of how close together the speakers on not like you can hear any stereo sound out of them.
If you run someone over by mistake does that mean you should get off completely free? Point is, this mistake could hinder sales for Apple (not that I care) but if I was a shareholder or worked at Apple I would sure as hell want my product to be advertised as is. Not making it sound worse for the sake of other corporations sales.
But hey, that's just me.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I'm guessing that the portrait oriented stereo speakers are intended for textbooks rather than movies.

Last edited:

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Company advertising is becoming more like Political advertising...In todays world truth is hard to find. You have to dig deep to find the slightest bit.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Apple makes X% profit and Y% profit from the app store, sounds like apple wants to "have its cake and eat it too"

If Apple's online app store is just peanuts, why does EA (the video game company that loves to nickle and dime its customers with online passes and season passes) want to get in the online app/game store business?

Nobody ever said it was peanuts. But its not the bucket that they want to stick the majority of their eggs in like Amazon has.

jgag

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
How to enjoy stereo sound from your iPad Mini.
Step 1. Plug in your favorite headphones.
Step 2. Shut up

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Intensional. Apple 1, Amazon Advertising -1. :D

That's false advertising, Amazon!.....

Although I'm not in the market to buy a KINDLE FIRE HD, to be fair to AMAZON, APPLE's iPad Mini's tech specs page http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/specs/ did specifically state "built-in speaker", not "speakers", and that's the information available to AMAZON when they prepared the ad. They also corrected their ad promptly. My only qualm with their ad is their characterization of the MINI as having a low-res display. True, 163 ppi doesn't qualify as Retina, but it isn't exactly low resolution.

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
I was just about the pull the trigger on a 4th gen, and while doing so mentioned I wish they'd friggen put stereo speakers in the maxi.

Now I am so friffen mad at Apple. I'm sure that'll be a new feature in the 5th gen. God I can't wait for this company to crash and burn.

Ok, gotta order the 4th gen now. sigh. :eek:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Yeah, and what stereo effect you will realize when the speakers are 1" apart. It will be just like Mick Jagger is in the room with you. :rolleyes:

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
What's the point with stereo speakers, if they are placed like on the iPad mini?

Presumably the major reason for stereo sound would be movies and games - and all movies are in landscape mode - where both speakers would be pointing out the same direction. Most games are also landscape mode.

At least the Kindle Fire HD does have proper stereo placed speakers when in landscape mode - left/right.

Never thought of that, but you're right. Although, who is expecting great stereo sound and separation on a tablet device? It's really not possible. Haven't heard the stereo on the Fire, but somehow I don't think I'd be too impressed. :)

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
Even if it has 2 speakers it does not mean it's stereo.
Stereo and dual mono are 2 very different things.
Even if it had 20 speakers all over the place, it would still probably be mono.
Stereo is the ability to play one thing on one speaker, and another on the other speaker.

Exactly. So why is Amazon claiming their device is "dual stereo speakers"? To me, that would translate to 4 speakers. 2 (dual) x 2 (stereo) = 4.

They only have to say "stereo" and we can assume there are at least 2 speakers.

-Iamthinking

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Right, so iPad mini does have mono speakers then and not sterio? As Amazon is claiming. Not that it matters much to me.
I was specifically talking about the screen, not about the speakers. But with respect to the speakers, when you compare the fire's speaker configuration to the mini, one is obviously stereo, the other is just barely technically stereo. Enjoy poking at Amazon for only barely be inaccurate.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
How any of these companies can call speakers an inch apart from each other "stereo" is beyond me. Two speakers that close together are effectively a single speaker.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Nobody's playing with definitions, but you. 720p is, and always has been, HD according to anything even remotely approaching an actual standard.

In fact, it's the best HD picture quality you'll get over the air, because the OTA signal can't accommodate the 1080p data rates.
I guess facts can't penetrate the bubble you're living in. :rolleyes:

Read and learn:

Actually, it falls under EDTV, it is not HD or SD. Which is a middle classification that has seldom been seen by the non-AV-nerd crowd. But that's only for TV, most things done on a tablet are not TV, afaik. So that is called XGA, as it is mainly a computer resolution.

Enhanced Definition.
Exactly. :)

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
The iPad Mini has stereo speakers is news. More like my car has a tire pressure gauge, kinda news.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
While some folks might be happy stereo speakers, I find the feature to be dubious at best.

For one thing, iPad mini has both speakers on the bottom when held in portrait orientation. For video, you will be holding it in landscape orientation, at which point you won't be getting stereo sound anyway.

Secondly, the distance between each speaker is so close that you won't get much stereo separation to begin with.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
The Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) devised and governs the standards for what is and what is not High-Definition in the digital distribution world (the ATSC superceded the NTSC which governed regular analog TV for more than 50 years). There are 18 standards for digital television, and per the ATSC 720 progressive is most definitely HD. Anyone who thinks that only 1080p is HD is actually the one who's been won over by "corporations'" marketing.

720p 24/30/60fps, 1080i 30fps, 1080p 24/30/60 fps are all HD.
False. The ATSC is a bunch of pushovers just like the ITU, they've caved to big business and now both "standards" are anything but standards. Who's drinking the corporate kool-aid now? :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.