Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Well I've had my Halloween nightmare.

I've been having reception issues with my iPhone 5. Slow LTE etc.

So the AT&T chat guy he'd send me a new sim because even though it usually doesn't make a difference, it's worth a try.

After sending a regular sim instead of nano, it finally came today and I changed it out.

Low and behold, the new nano sim is giving TERRIBLE reception. 2 Mbps LTE!!!

So I get back with chat and they said I can't switch back to my old sim. After many hours going back forth

AND LOTS OF HASSLE...

My AT&T original nano sim is working again. Not great reception. About 5 Mbps LTE. But still better than 2!

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I swap SIM's regularly between a custom NanoSim and a store bought LTE one... No issue :confused::confused:

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I swap SIM's regularly between a custom NanoSim and a store bought LTE one... No issue :confused::confused:

Oh really? Well I guess the one they sent was defective.

I was at 2 Mbps LTE.

And when he said I can't switch it back, I just about went on a tangent because I wasn't putting up with that.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA

I was at 2 Mbps LTE.

And when he said I can't switch it back, I just about went on a tangent because I wasn't putting up with that.

once a sim is deactivated it cannot be reactivated. The ICCID is wiped from that system. Its been that way for YEARS.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009

I was at 2 Mbps LTE.

My guess is that your SIM isn't the bottleneck... I could be wrong though but I've nary heard of a faulty SIM card.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
once a sim is deactivated it cannot be reactivated. The ICCID is wiped from that system. Its been that way for YEARS.

Entirely untrue. I re-activated a MiniSim from 2003 deactivated in 2009 to use with my iPhone 5 - worked flawlessly.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
My iPhone 5 repels TIGERS!!!

Ummm, the SIM is almost 100% NOT the source of the issue. It's possible they registered you into a data plan that did not access LTE, but if you are seeing LTE listed when testing it is most probable you just have slow LTE where you live. If that's not it the next logical thought would be a hardware issue with the phone (but even that is unlikely in regards to LTE speed).

Saying it's the SIM's fault is like saying my phone repels tigers. It doesn't, but I don't see any tigers around so it must be working!

Specious reasoning :D

If your internet is slow, blame the internet first, THEN the hardware...

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Ummm, the SIM is almost 100% NOT the source of the issue. It's possible they registered you into a data plan that did not access LTE, but if you are seeing LTE listed when testing it is most probable you just have slow LTE where you live. If that's not it the next logical thought would be a hardware issue with the phone (but even that is unlikely in regards to LTE speed).

Saying it's the SIM's fault is like saying my phone repels tigers. It doesn't, but I don't see any tigers around so it must be working!

Specious reasoning :D

If your internet is slow, blame the internet first, THEN the hardware...

Well actually it does make a difference the 2nd sim gave me only 2 Mbps and the first only 5.

I don't know the technicals but trust it me it can make a huge difference.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Well actually it does make a difference the 2nd sim gave me only 2 Mbps and the first only 5.

I don't know the technicals but trust it me it can make a huge difference.

Right, and if I run multiple tests at differnet times/slightly different locations I get wildly different speeds too...

Is it my SIM???

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Right, and if I run multiple tests at differnet times/slightly different locations I get wildly different speeds too...

Is it my SIM???

Ummm no. Let me explain.

You can get different strengths at different locations.

But the sim can play a big role.

So, if you have a bad sim you can have bad signal in the same spot you normally have good signal with a good sim.

Understand?

----------

Don't worry about everyone in the forum that stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night and tells you what your problem isn't. :D

Lol I just try to be patient and explain to them how it is.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010

I was at 2 Mbps LTE.

I don't think you know what "tangent" means. "Tantrum" is the appropriate word here.

Also, your overreacting/paranoid/compulsive behavior over LTE speed is entertaining. You may be the first person to blow through their data plan using speedtest alone.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
you could just have slow LTE in your area.........

Don't know where the OP is trying to connect but Sandy has caused cellular signal disruption and outage in many areas of the Eastern US.

Not to mention spinoffs... NOAA had a sign up on the Binghamton regional weather map page this afternoon saying that a commercial phone company experienced outage due to a cut fiberoptic cable. Sandy and aftermath will play havoc with power and telecom setups for weeks to come.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Don't know where the OP is trying to connect but Sandy has caused cellular signal disruption and outage in many areas of the Eastern US.

Not to mention spinoffs... NOAA had a sign up on the Binghamton regional weather map page this afternoon saying that a commercial phone company experienced outage due to a cut fiberoptic cable. Sandy and aftermath will play havoc with power and telecom setups for weeks to come.

Was right in the path of sandy no issues at all but yes possible

SatManager

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Las Vegas

That is called "backhoe fade". Unfortunately it occurs way more often than you might imagine.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Ummm no. Let me explain.
You can get different strengths at different locations.

But the sim can play a big role.

So, if you have a bad sim you can have bad signal in the same spot you normally have good signal with a good sim.

Understand?

----------

Lol I just try to be patient and explain to them how it is.

Do you know what SIM stands for?

*waits for you to google it*

Ok. So how does it effect signal strength?

It doesn't.

If it did, I'm sure there'd be SIMGate by now. Maybe there was no antennagate, maybe it was all SIM related...

If you don't understand something don't pretend like you do (see how that works?)

My phone is still protecting me from tigers though! I swear! It's working!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I don't know the technicals

Exactly. You don't know the "technicals."

It's most definitely not the SIM. If it was, you'd have no service at all.

Something else is going on.

And by the way, if 2Mbps counts as your "Halloween nightmare," try being in my shoes: no data and barely any voice service at all thanks to Hurricane Sandy. Count your blessings, and work with AT&T to fix the problem. But it's not your SIM.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I don't see how changing the sim, as long as it's still a compatible version would have anything to do with it. I'd call your carrier and see if the settings are correct in their system.

lorax7.jpg

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
That is called "backhoe fade". Unfortunately it occurs way more often than you might imagine.

Yeah, it happens all the time in upstate NY, despite their "Call Before You Dig" hotline stuff.

The NOAA guys still have their backup page going for Binghamton today:

================================
Eastern Region backup pages...

* * * * * * * Technical Note * * * * * * *
Thu Nov 01 2012 11:16:42 GMT-0400 (EDT)

For ease in navigation, we recommend typing in your "City, St" or Zip Code in the upper left hand corner of this web page to get forecasts, warnings and other information for your area.

A cut fiberoptic line belonging to a commercial phone company has disrupted websites serving the Eastern Region. As this issue is being resolved, we are now operating our websites in backup mode.
================================

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.