Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Apple Store Istanbul please. 75% of new stores are going to be outside US so istanbul store will happen. But please do not open it in the first two Qs of 2013

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
And here I was hoping for an amazing Apple designed Annual Report doc for some design inspiration... instead I get a boring, realistic legal styled document full of text.

I blame Scott Forstall.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
100 full time equivalent employees PER STORE!?!?

And we wonder why the 13" Macbook Pro Retina with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD is $1700, about $800 over priced and at least $400 from anyone calling reasonable. PS.. its in stock everywhere but folks homes and I suspect it will remain that way :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
So here's what the Apple 10-K says about their investment portfolio:

The Company’s marketable securities investment portfolio is invested primarily in highly-rated securities and its investment policy generally limits the amount of credit exposure to any one issuer. The policy requires investments generally to be investment grade with the objective of minimizing the potential risk of principal loss. As of September*29, 2012 and September*24, 2011, $82.6 billion and $54.3 billion, respectively, of the Company’s cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities were held by foreign subsidiaries and are generally based in U.S. dollar-denominated holdings.

Reading further, it the report breaks this down primarily as: money market funds, federal notes, municipal bonds, commercial debt, and commercial paper.

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006

check the ebay part departament. Massive unibody macbook's magsafe board, and motherboard problems. Most apple sales come from software and apps. The only pieces of hardware, that are somehow OK : iphone, mac pro and imac. Apple almost left portable laptop market, since products are so flawed.

kdarling

macrumors P6
$515,000 sales per full-time employee...not bad!

Too bad the sales folk don't get commission. They could be rich instead of being stuck in a job with almost no chance of promotion.

That's a lot of Jobs. The overseas manufacturing can be looked past considering how many people are putting food on the table because of Apple products.

That's not a lot of jobs, especially compared to other companies with similar revenue, who easily employ four to ten times as many. Compare Apple to the top 50 largest employers in the US. Or the top 10.

But yes, it's better than a poke in the eye :)

SWPROX

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Vancouver,Canada
check the ebay part departament. Massive unibody macbook's magsafe board, and motherboard problems. Most apple sales come from software and apps. The only pieces of hardware, that are somehow OK : iphone, mac pro and imac. Apple almost left portable laptop market, since products are so flawed.

In seperate news,BMW makes all it's money by servicing it's cars,it almost left the car manufacturing business since it's cars are so flawed :rolleyes:

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
You see it is not even worth to take apart windows lappy, since market is full of cheap alternatives - tablets, notebooks and subcompact computers, basically disposables. It is only worth to take apart $1000 or $1700+ apple. But at some point you start thinking - why are you paying at least a $1000 for something, that will die in a year or so.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
108.7 employees per store is quite a lot, I admit, but no matter how much time I spend looking around, I can never locate that .7 of an employee :eek:

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Yeah, I agree... the laptops are junk. I can only get about 5 years of daily use out of them before they have to be replaced. Sucks! :rolleyes:

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
jobs???

how many of these are in China? Computers are made in China, US gets only service, communication, shipping jobs and some design.

----------

Yeah, I agree... the laptops are junk. I can only get about 5 years of daily use out of them before they have to be replaced. Sucks! :rolleyes:

What models and when they are made???

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Too bad the sales folk don't get commission. They could be rich instead of being stuck in a job with almost no chance of promotion.

I wouldn't want sales people up sell me every time I walk into a Apple store.
If they are un-happy at Apple they should look for abetter pay job else where. As you say, it's better than a poke in the eye :D

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
$515,000 sales per full-time employee...not bad!

Totally!

Half a mil per employee, with an average "full-time equivalent" store employee earning $22,360 a year!

Turns out the hardware ain't the only place they have huge margins...

ashoka8350

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Nice proof-reading.

@ Quote:
Apple now has 42,800 "full-time equivalent" employees, up from 60,400 last year.
Nice proof-reading.
------------------------------------------------------------
Read Again friend.

Apple today filed its 2012 annual report with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and the document reveals a few interesting tidbits of information:

- Apple now has ...72,800...(not 42,800)... "full-time equivalent" employees, up from 60,400 last year. The company also went from employing 2,900 "full-time equivalent" temporary employees and contractors to 3,300. 42,400 "full-time equivalent" employees are in the retail division, up from 36,000 last year.

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
more than 100 people per store? Perhaps most of them are in back, working on hardware without a sight of daylight. This number includes full and part time people, hired for a month or so and people who work for at least a few years. There is no physical way to fit all these people in store on different 8 hour shifts.

whcchief

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
@ Quote:
Apple now has 42,800 "full-time equivalent" employees, up from 60,400 last year.
Nice proof-reading.
------------------------------------------------------------
Read Again friend.

Apple today filed its 2012 annual report with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and the document reveals a few interesting tidbits of information:

- Apple now has ...72,800...(not 42,800)... "full-time equivalent" employees, up from 60,400 last year. The company also went from employing 2,900 "full-time equivalent" temporary employees and contractors to 3,300. 42,400 "full-time equivalent" employees are in the retail division, up from 36,000 last year.
Ugh, it was originally 42,800 by mistake. Read the thread.

olegandbuster25

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
And we wonder why the 13" Macbook Pro Retina with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD is $1700, about $800 over priced and at least $400 from anyone calling reasonable. PS.. its in stock everywhere but folks homes and I suspect it will remain that way :)

its in stock because anyone who cared about a pricey computer with retina display already shed over 2000 on a 15 inch, and didnt complain about that price because id say its pretty damn fair. - myself included

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
more than 100 people per store? Perhaps most of them are in back, working on hardware without a sight of daylight. This number includes full and part time people, hired for a month or so and people who work for at least a few years. There is no physical way to fit all these people in store on different 8 hour shifts.

I believe that's all the workers combined and that blows that number out of proportion. They all don't work in the Apple Stores. More like factories and call centers, outside the US.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
how many of these are in China? Computers are made in China, US gets only service, communication, shipping jobs and some design.
Very few. Apple contracts for manufacture, rather than employing.

----------

I believe that's all the workers combined and that blows that number out of proportion. They all don't work in the Apple Stores. More like factories and call centers, outside the US.
Nope, retail only. Grab a calculator to prove it, I'm sure whatever device you type posts on has a calculator.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003

I'm sure Microsoft Store employees make huge money with plenty of upward mobility. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.