Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:22 PM   #26
emir
macrumors 6502a

Apple Store Istanbul please. 75% of new stores are going to be outside US so istanbul store will happen. But please do not open it in the first two Qs of 2013
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:23 PM   #27
slimbek
macrumors regular

And here I was hoping for an amazing Apple designed Annual Report doc for some design inspiration... instead I get a boring, realistic legal styled document full of text.

I blame Scott Forstall.
slimbek is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:32 PM   #28
Macboy Pro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
100 full time equivalent employees PER STORE!?!?
And we wonder why the 13" Macbook Pro Retina with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD is $1700, about $800 over priced and at least $400 from anyone calling reasonable. PS.. its in stock everywhere but folks homes and I suspect it will remain that way :-)
Macboy Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:32 PM   #29
unlimitedx
macrumors 6502a

Apple = jobs creator
unlimitedx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:39 PM   #30
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

So here's what the Apple 10-K says about their investment portfolio:

Quote:
The Company’s marketable securities investment portfolio is invested primarily in highly-rated securities and its investment policy generally limits the amount of credit exposure to any one issuer. The policy requires investments generally to be investment grade with the objective of minimizing the potential risk of principal loss. As of September*29, 2012 and September*24, 2011, $82.6 billion and $54.3 billion, respectively, of the Company’s cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities were held by foreign subsidiaries and are generally based in U.S. dollar-denominated holdings.
Reading further, it the report breaks this down primarily as: money market funds, federal notes, municipal bonds, commercial debt, and commercial paper.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:01 PM   #31
johnsy
macrumors 6502

check the ebay part departament. Massive unibody macbook's magsafe board, and motherboard problems. Most apple sales come from software and apps. The only pieces of hardware, that are somehow OK : iphone, mac pro and imac. Apple almost left portable laptop market, since products are so flawed.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:05 PM   #32
kdarling
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Will View Post
$515,000 sales per full-time employee...not bad!
Too bad the sales folk don't get commission. They could be rich instead of being stuck in a job with almost no chance of promotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
That's a lot of Jobs. The overseas manufacturing can be looked past considering how many people are putting food on the table because of Apple products.
That's not a lot of jobs, especially compared to other companies with similar revenue, who easily employ four to ten times as many. Compare Apple to the top 50 largest employers in the US. Or the top 10.

But yes, it's better than a poke in the eye
kdarling is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:07 PM   #33
designgeek
macrumors 65816

But Mittens told me the economy was tanking??? Hmmm.
designgeek is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:09 PM   #34
SWPROX
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsy View Post
check the ebay part departament. Massive unibody macbook's magsafe board, and motherboard problems. Most apple sales come from software and apps. The only pieces of hardware, that are somehow OK : iphone, mac pro and imac. Apple almost left portable laptop market, since products are so flawed.
In seperate news,BMW makes all it's money by servicing it's cars,it almost left the car manufacturing business since it's cars are so flawed
SWPROX is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:21 PM   #35
johnsy
macrumors 6502

You see it is not even worth to take apart windows lappy, since market is full of cheap alternatives - tablets, notebooks and subcompact computers, basically disposables. It is only worth to take apart $1000 or $1700+ apple. But at some point you start thinking - why are you paying at least a $1000 for something, that will die in a year or so.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:27 PM   #36
lifeinhd
macrumors 65816

108.7 employees per store is quite a lot, I admit, but no matter how much time I spend looking around, I can never locate that .7 of an employee
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:30 PM   #37
Dekema2
macrumors 6502

what would biden say you ask???
osama is dead, gm is alive and apple will thrive!!!
Dekema2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:33 PM   #38
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Yeah, I agree... the laptops are junk. I can only get about 5 years of daily use out of them before they have to be replaced. Sucks!
Popeye206 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:40 PM   #39
johnsy
macrumors 6502

jobs???

how many of these are in China? Computers are made in China, US gets only service, communication, shipping jobs and some design.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye206 View Post
Yeah, I agree... the laptops are junk. I can only get about 5 years of daily use out of them before they have to be replaced. Sucks!
What models and when they are made???
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:51 PM   #40
Will do good
macrumors 6502

[QUOTE=kdarling;16192127]Too bad the sales folk don't get commission. They could be rich instead of being stuck in a job with almost no chance of promotion.

I wouldn't want sales people up sell me every time I walk into a Apple store.
If they are un-happy at Apple they should look for abetter pay job else where. As you say, it's better than a poke in the eye
Will do good is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:56 PM   #41
you people smh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Will View Post
$515,000 sales per full-time employee...not bad!
Totally!

Half a mil per employee, with an average "full-time equivalent" store employee earning $22,360 a year!

Turns out the hardware ain't the only place they have huge margins...
you people smh is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:08 PM   #42
ashoka8350
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDee View Post
Nice proof-reading.
@ Quote:
Apple now has 42,800 "full-time equivalent" employees, up from 60,400 last year.
Nice proof-reading.
------------------------------------------------------------
Read Again friend.

Apple today filed its 2012 annual report with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and the document reveals a few interesting tidbits of information:

- Apple now has ...72,800...(not 42,800)... "full-time equivalent" employees, up from 60,400 last year. The company also went from employing 2,900 "full-time equivalent" temporary employees and contractors to 3,300. 42,400 "full-time equivalent" employees are in the retail division, up from 36,000 last year.
ashoka8350 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:17 PM   #43
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinhd View Post
108.7 employees per store is quite a lot, I admit, but no matter how much time I spend looking around, I can never locate that .7 of an employee
That employee is part of the "fool"time employment equivalent
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:27 PM   #44
johnsy
macrumors 6502

more than 100 people per store? Perhaps most of them are in back, working on hardware without a sight of daylight. This number includes full and part time people, hired for a month or so and people who work for at least a few years. There is no physical way to fit all these people in store on different 8 hour shifts.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:30 PM   #45
whcchief
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashoka8350 View Post
@ Quote:
Apple now has 42,800 "full-time equivalent" employees, up from 60,400 last year.
Nice proof-reading.
------------------------------------------------------------
Read Again friend.

Apple today filed its 2012 annual report with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and the document reveals a few interesting tidbits of information:

- Apple now has ...72,800...(not 42,800)... "full-time equivalent" employees, up from 60,400 last year. The company also went from employing 2,900 "full-time equivalent" temporary employees and contractors to 3,300. 42,400 "full-time equivalent" employees are in the retail division, up from 36,000 last year.
Ugh, it was originally 42,800 by mistake. Read the thread.
whcchief is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:20 PM   #46
olegandbuster25
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to olegandbuster25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post
And we wonder why the 13" Macbook Pro Retina with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD is $1700, about $800 over priced and at least $400 from anyone calling reasonable. PS.. its in stock everywhere but folks homes and I suspect it will remain that way :-)
its in stock because anyone who cared about a pricey computer with retina display already shed over 2000 on a 15 inch, and didnt complain about that price because id say its pretty damn fair. - myself included
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:27 PM   #47
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Quote:
more than 100 people per store? Perhaps most of them are in back, working on hardware without a sight of daylight. This number includes full and part time people, hired for a month or so and people who work for at least a few years. There is no physical way to fit all these people in store on different 8 hour shifts.
I believe that's all the workers combined and that blows that number out of proportion. They all don't work in the Apple Stores. More like factories and call centers, outside the US.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:44 PM   #48
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
how many of these are in China? Computers are made in China, US gets only service, communication, shipping jobs and some design.
Very few. Apple contracts for manufacture, rather than employing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
I believe that's all the workers combined and that blows that number out of proportion. They all don't work in the Apple Stores. More like factories and call centers, outside the US.
Nope, retail only. Grab a calculator to prove it, I'm sure whatever device you type posts on has a calculator.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:57 PM   #49
HardRain
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by designgeek View Post
But Mittens told me the economy was tanking??? Hmmm.
Don't give up on Mittens just yet!
HardRain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:08 PM   #50
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Too bad the sales folk don't get commission. They could be rich instead of being stuck in a job with almost no chance of promotion.
I'm sure Microsoft Store employees make huge money with plenty of upward mobility.
LagunaSol is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion