Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r00tb33r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Greetings all,
I'm in the process of upgrading my 3,1 machine, and as it so happens I've got an extra heatsink laying around that will fit.
I want to buy a matched pair of quad core Xeons to convert my formerly quad core 3,1 machine into an 8-core. I would prefer to buy CPUs that would be correctly recognized by Mac OS X, and now show "unknown processor".
Is there a list I can find of CPU IDs that can aid me in shopping? Perhaps inside some kext?

Help is appreciated, thanks.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
why would you need a third heat sink? Or are you saying you have a double socketed mac pro that only came with 1 cpu in it?

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
That's exactly what I mean. I guess I wasn't clear when I said "formerly quad core".

It's my understanding that a quad core mac pro 3,1 is a single socket machine. A double socket 3,1 machine would have begun life as an 8 core machine. and would never have had 2 dual core cpus.

you're saying your formerly quad core machine is really a formerly 8 core, currently quad core and soon to be 8 core again machine?

Is it perhaps a 2,1 or 1,1 mac pro?

r00tb33r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
It's my understanding that a quad core mac pro 3,1 is a single socket machine. A double socket 3,1 machine would have begun life as an 8 core machine. and would never have had 2 dual core cpus.

you're saying your formerly quad core machine is really a formerly 8 core, currently quad core and soon to be 8 core again machine?

Is it perhaps a 2,1 or 1,1 mac pro?

I think you are confusing yourself too much by incorrectly trying to fact check me. It's a 3,1 machine with a single quad core 2.8GHz Xeon E5462. I have taken apart this machine and I am looking at two LGA 771 sockets, one socket previously covered with a "dummy" heatsink. I also have an EXTRA heatsink laying around, which I intend to use for the 8-core setup.

Can we move on now? :)

r00tb33r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Sorry if you took offense to my curiosity.

http://www.osx86.net/view/1330-about_this_mac_fix.html

I believe this is a utility that accomplishes what you're looking for.

This next part may not apply to you but upgrading to cpus that other mac pros use may also get properly identified by just upgrading OSX to a more recent version.

So does that mean I can use L5420 which is lower TDP and with 1333MHz bus? AFAIK there is no Mac that uses this CPU. So would it still be identified in Mountain Lion?

r00tb33r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Seems first few replies went off topic, but I still need help picking out a pair of quad core CPUs for my 3,1 machine. I would really prefer models with lower TDP, but I'm not sure if the system will correctly identify them, and in my case that's important.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Seems first few replies went off topic, but I still need help picking out a pair of quad core CPUs for my 3,1 machine. I would really prefer models with lower TDP, but I'm not sure if the system will correctly identify them, and in my case that's important.

AFAIK there aren't any CPU upgrades available for the 3,1 unless you have a 2.8 and want to go to 3.2GHz, I believe those are the only options, 2.8, 3.0 and 3.2GHz, there are no other CPU's that will work with the logic board.

https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1409111.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.