Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I currently have an iPad 3 with a zagg keyboard folio case, and it works fantastic. But the desks at school are so small, that it barely fits on my desk, so forget about having anything else on it.

My case is within the return window, so I plan ok retuning it and waiting for a iPad mini keyboard case to come out. There should probably eventually be one released right? Does anyone else use their iPad to take notes in class? There are at least 4 other people in my class doing this also.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I am a speech language pathology major. The only class I don't use it in is Phonetics, because there are a lot of symbols. I love Pages, I just wish it had phonetic symbols lol

leanne..

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
I use mine to take notes. I have a logitech keyboard that I use and it works great. After watching me for the past 2 months, 2 other people have gone out and gotten keyboards for their ipads.

Jess77

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
It's my third year in grad school, and this semester I started using Notability and the Adonit Jot Pro to take notes on Powerpoints and it's been great. Before, I just took notes in Pages.

EthanMiller

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
I use two apps on mine to take notes - Byword (text editor) and Notes Plus (Handwriting). I use the virtual keyboard for all of my notes. I take relatively light notes in class, though, and I can type fast on the virtual keyboard. For Notes Plus, which I use in any math class, it's as fast as handwriting.

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
I have yet to see anyone doing this in any graduate level courses I have taken over the last 2 years.

I used my iPad2 for notetaking during an 18 month graduate program in geopolitics and strategy in France and very much plan to do so with my Mini as I return to school next year for a Master's in Education.

SOOOO, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. :rolleyes:

For the OP, I generally use Notetaker HD for handwritten notes and I'm hoping this program will work as well on my Mini :)

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I use Evernote to take notes on my iPad in school and at work. When at work, I finish up the session and immediately send out Meeting notes for everyones review. Very helpful. I like evernote too so I could just open up my mac wherever I am and have the note available.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I'm a researcher and use my ipad all the time in conferences, courses and public lectures. I primarily use Notability and Circus Ponies Notebooks.

blerns3

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
This is one of the main reasons I was thinking about getting a mini. I never liked the size of the regular iPad but don't like the OS's of the android, Kindle, etc. tablets. I'm just worried that it's too much since I already have an iPhone 5 and a Macbook Pro. Is it even needed?

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I'm in aviation so lots of people in my classes take notes on an iPad. I was a relatively "early adopter" then more and more started showing up... now it's almost a requirement at my school :D The GI bill will even cover iPads now for prior enlisted students and I think you can get one with financial aid at the bookstore.

Densi

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Germany
Examples

Hi,

I'm going to use my mini at work to make notes in meetings. Never thought about doing this handwriting. I was thinking about getting a keyboard. After reading this thread, I tried it with some of the mentioned apps, but it doesn't work for me. Maybe I need more practice...

Could anybody show a screenshot of some notes? Are you really doing this with your finger? Or are you using a stylus? :eek:

Thanks and regards,
Daniel

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Perhaps you should be going back to school for reading comprehension. All I said was that I haven't seen it. No where did I say it doesn't happen.:rolleyes:

Touchy, touchy.

Nowhere did you say it didn't happen, but your statement was still irrelevant. No one cares if you have not seen it. What does that even matter?

At any rate, I actually use my iphone for note taking. I type way faster on it than my ipad or even a normal computer. I did have to explain to a couple of my professors that I am indeed paying attention and note texting or whatever.

Last edited:

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I currently have an iPad 3 with a zagg keyboard folio case, and it works fantastic. But the desks at school are so small, that it barely fits on my desk, so forget about having anything else on it.

My case is within the return window, so I plan ok retuning it and waiting for a iPad mini keyboard case to come out. There should probably eventually be one released right? Does anyone else use their iPad to take notes in class? There are at least 4 other people in my class doing this also.

I prefer a MacBook for taking notes, iPad for reading. :p

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
I took these notes at a retirement seminar using NotetakerHD (zoom mode) and a stylus

After I'm done taking notes, I usually export to Evernote in pdf format.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    118.5 KB · Views: 624

mathman

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
I use my iPad to take notes every single day. I'm a Ph.D. student in mathematics. I use Penultimate and an Adonit Jot Pro to take notes in each of my classes. When I'm writing complex proofs, I use Tex Touch on the iPad to write LaTeX on the fly. I find the iPad is an invaluable tool so I don't have to lug a laptop around all day.

Last edited:

eyefoniac

macrumors demi-god
Nov 21, 2008
Everywhere and nowhere
I'm in my 3rd year of med school and use Notability all the time for class. They just released an update today to (supposedly, haven't tried it yet) allow ppt import but up until now I have been saving them as PDFs and then annotating on them. I then upload them to Evernote and have access to my lectures wherever I go.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
I have yet to see anyone doing this in any graduate level courses I have taken over the last 2 years.

My better half is in medical school, and he says that just about everyone has an iPad and at least 1/3 of them use the iPad to take notes. They all have a specific stylus brand they swear by and a note taking app to import powerpoint lectures that they can mark up.

SouthBeachMac

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
My better half is in medical school, and he says that just about everyone has an iPad and at least 1/3 of them use the iPad to take notes. They all have a specific stylus brand they swear by and a note taking app to import powerpoint lectures that they can mark up.

Used my iPad (first gen!) to take notes in law school in several classes, including some note-intensive classes such as Bankruptcy. Never had an issue, although I consider myself to be a fairly good typist on the iPad. With the external keyboard cases they are selling these days, would seem even easier in my opinion. I know a computer only weighs a few pounds more, but you definitely can feel it.

billnye97

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
Perhaps you should be going back to school for reading comprehension. All I said was that I haven't seen it. No where did I say it doesn't happen.:rolleyes:

From your signature you're all about taking things out of context too.

blerns3

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
I took these notes at a retirement seminar using NotetakerHD (zoom mode) and a stylus

After I'm done taking notes, I usually export to Evernote in pdf format.

Do you have a stylus for this? If so, where'd you get it? One of those might make my choice on whether to get an iPad or not a lot easier...

EDIT: Just looked it up, they're everywhere lol. I have no idea why I didn't think about this before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.