Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Why would someone donate through Apple instead of directly to the Red Cross? I think it's nice that Apple is raising awareness, but it seems just as easy to do it directly to the Red Cross (plus then it's tax deductible).

Apple has enabled what the Bible teaches. See Matthew 6:1-4

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
For every donated dollar, apple should donate another one themselves.

Perhaps you should start your own company and do this? Funny how everyone is on their soapbox... do you all donate your expendable income instead of buying new devices from Apple? Didn't think so.

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I've made my donation. To all the flippin' cynical people... just make a donation and move on. There's no need to overanalyze every damn thing Apple does (or doesn't do).

Does it really matter how the Red Cross raises money as long as they're doing so?

:rolleyes: x100

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
You're full of a lot assumptions here. You don't know if they won't, or already have donated. You're labeling Apple in negative light when you don't what's going on behind closed doors.

Yea and you're on here attacking Apple based on nothing. That's the only pathetic things I'm seeing here. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Tell me, with all this accusing of Apple "not donating," are YOU going to donate anything? If not, then you're in no place to criticize Apple. You're running your mouth with no facts to back it up.

So until you back up your claims with proof, you're just acting like an Apple-hating troll with no concrete proof to support your claims.

I can you the same question about your 'claims.' Are you sure?

If you got proof that they don't donate, fine. But until then your little accusations are meaningless.

:rolleyes:

The difference here is apple can AFFORD to donate if they wanted to. So people can't cause they can barely afford money for themselves and their families. I am going to donate the little bit extra I have.

But let me ask this. We give to other countries in their time of need. Where are they now in our time of need? We donate to them they should donate to us in return. I know a lot of friends who lost their homes on the shore. Just gone, all that is left is their foundation. I feel for all these people.

And for the poster who said that the east coast is full of rich people. Umm I think your wrong. Try looking out in California and I bet you find more out there than here.

James

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
We'll know for sure during their Q1 '13 earning's release when they'll have to disclose any amount corporate has given to the release effort.

Of course by then no one will remember or care.

You can bet the farm the Apple haters will remember, and pounce if possible. I hope they're disappointed.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
Actually it will. The hundreds of thousands of jobs created by Apple's success results in far more charitable giving and help than any company could provide.
This is such a delusional exaggeration that you left me nearly speechless.
Aside from that, it's mere speculation that Apple isn't also donating.
It's a fact. After Jobs came back to Apple, he canceled all donations. Look it up.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Romney says the private sector should be taking care of this, so I'll pass and wait for a for-profit private sector business to clean up

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
This is such a delusional exaggeration that you left me nearly speechless.

It's a fact. After Jobs came back to Apple, he canceled all donations. Look it up.

Steve is dead, look it up! You haven't a clue whether the new admin will or won't donate to this disaster.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012

He did cancel all donations when he rejoined the company. That is a fact. I never said Apple never donated any money to charity. Besides their donations are quite symbolic compared to other companies.

----------

Steve is dead, look it up! You haven't a clue whether the new admin will or won't donate to this disaster.

I do not, and that's why I'm not suggesting anything. Read my first post in this topic.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Nope, banks wave the fees, regardless how or through whom you donate.

I'm assuming they only do this for Red Cross and a few others. Because I know other non-profit charitable organizations DO in fact get charged a transaction fee, although less than a for-profit organization.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
Bottom line. Apple does help others. Maybe not to the level some would think it should. And Steve Jobs did as well, we do not know exactly what he did, he did not make a huge show of it like some celebrities.

No, the bottom line is that you tried to question my statement that Jobs canceled all philanthropy after rejoining Apple, while the truth is that he did.

----------

Could you provide a link or something regarding this?

Read your own link, it's there.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
He did cancel all donations when he rejoined the company. That is a fact. I never said Apple never donated any money to charity. Besides their donations are quite symbolic compared to other companies.

No, the bottom line is that you tried to question my statement that Jobs canceled all philanthropy after rejoining Apple, while the truth is that he did.

He canceled ALL donations, you never said they NEVER donated any money to charity, their donation are quite symbolic...

Either Apple (under Steve Jobs) did or did not donate money. You seem to be saying both.

I am not questioning the amount. If they donated too little, I am not defending that.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Mod Note: This thread was temporarily closed for clean-up of off-topic bickering. Please remain civil and keep things on-topic. Thank you.

Last edited:

HatterZero

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2012
U.S.A.
I donated $10 and I'm fresh out of college with no job and no money. I think Apple could afford to donate a few dollars... or a few million.

Apple could, but their Share holders wouldn't be happy about it.

Now the share holders could afford to donate, and some of them could of and some of them may have not.

BTW for anyone who doesn't know you have to pay a certain amount when you a company 2 to 3% of the cost of the transaction when paid with a credit card.

So if apple is donating 100% of of the money you donate they are eating the cost of the "checklane tender fees"

If you donate other places its possible part of your 100 dollars maybe going to pay those fees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.